• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft How did i do?

Ghillieman2011

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
hi all, my name is Morgan Garrett. i am a amateur at best, self taught. i really love the rim fire section here and all of desertfrogs contributions.

the following is a video of a fieldcraft exercise showing what i have learned from the good people here at snipers hide.

its filmed in 1080 HD so....blow it up full screen max quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhggpF-sBc&feature=related

future videos involving live fire will deal with rim fire and i am hoping to take a more active role in some of the local west coast tactical rim fire matches and competitions. the rifle in this video is a Savage MK II FV .22lr, painted by me. the optic is a leopould M4 replica made by leapers.

the Ghillie is a multi cam base with a 550 paracord (gutted) 4X4 grid, sewn on and hard pointed with shoo goo and leather drags.

i would appreciate any critique you guys got for me... i have rhino skin.

Re: How did i do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillieman2011</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i would appreciate any critique you guys got for me... i have rhino skin.</div></div>

AAHHH!!! Man boobies. Hit the gym or the plastic surgeon.
smile.gif

yea, i am a little soft. thanks for the motivation, ya ball buster....were you a DI?

looks well done but if i can add some advice i would say that to a normal person not looking for a man in a ghillie suit you would be fine but to a trained eye or someone looking for a possible sniper i would say you might have some troubles.

here is what i noticed.

if you are going to stay at the front edge of the natural foliage instead of back about 6 ft into it i would suggest using l;onger pieces of the grass and grain as your shorter pieces looked out of place at the edge of the foliage.

also you need to make sure your veg is facing the same direction as the veg around you i.e verticle and be long enough to sway in the wind like the natural veg around you.

also remember not to be at the edge of the veg be back in it with plenty in front of you then makle a window to hide muzzle flash and concusion.

you look well on your way thought it looks like a well put together suit and i like that it can be compressed down to a nice small size while still being quick to get to and get on.

post up some other stuff i would def rather watch your vids than do my work

thanks alot. ill work harder on those points in the future.

feel free to sub the channel the vid is posted from, i plan on putting alot of content there.

i will try to have new vids up weekly.

they all wont be ghillie vids obviously, but i hope they will be informative.

anyone else got any comments to make or critque?

I want to see pics of your suit construction. Vents/sewing/ all of that...

You have a little breeze blowing the grass a bit.

All the grass is moving except yours.

netranger, i dont think any training can prepare you for how awesome that guy is.

ill post a construction vid.

suit is a stalkers blouse and a viel. i did not do the lowers.

i am a civillian, self taught, and i am not going hunting pablo escobar.

Lol. Just wanted to share that vid, and your post game me a reason. Not meant to be mean, just funny.

Good thing you're not hunting Pablo, he was killed many years ago! I think you are courageous for posting this actually, hats off to you my man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gun_Crazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Netranger... I don't know where you found that video but that was hilarious... </div></div>

That guy is a tool or what? Lol, makes me laugh every time I watch it.

so where is shenker and boltripper....would love to hear what they got to say!

any one else wanna take a poke at me?

just fyi my advice was just that not a poke i was just giving you advice as someone who was military trained in this feild, so no popke from me i enjoyed the vid and look forward to others.

i am sorry if that came off wrong. i do encourage the constructive critique that you gave, believe me brother, i will be working on those points for future vids.

Not too bad ghillieman. I Would say this:

-In the video you use brown and black paint. It looked like you were in a burned down forrest. Stick to the light browns and greens like the field you were in. I never use black paint for anything. Just my personal thing, I mean, isn't that why we camo our guns that usualy come black? It's just not a natualy occuring color.

-Cut off the front brim of you veil to prevent that dark shadow on your face, the paint also contributed to that.

Hope this helps!
Mike

thanks for those tips brother....will do that.

i was waiting for someone to say something about the black face paint. and the fact that i didnt use the classic T, eye brows nose as the high points on my face to flatten out.

thanks for catching that.

Are you active military or LE? What exactly do you need a ghillie suit for? I guess I dont see the practicality of it. It seems like a lot of wasted energy just to hide in the weeds and film yourself.

i am not active military or LE. i do this because it is something i enjoy and i can use it for several reasons, anything from hunting, to being unseen when I choose to dissapear.

as for the mountain dojo, if that is the guy in mount hood dressed like a ninja running around the woods, swinging katanas, and pimping his cool airsoft rig..... yea, ill pass.

so moving on....

anyone else got any helpful hints or tips that i have missed?

I agree with Mike: Black is not a natural color. Use depth instead.

I'm guessing you are in my AO, are you east side or west side of the Mtns? (WA? OR?)

My only critique would be as mentioned, dark - and maybe a bit much on the tan - not that you didn't cover it up well but with out all the vegetation that tan might stick out.

I used to be very good at the art of Camo in the military but haven't done it for 20+ years. I just know my eye picks things out and tells me when I'm being watched - that tan might indicate a big dry spot or it might indicate I'm seeing through the green..

SE Portland.........I know that area.

To blend in you need pants down below your ass, tie died t-shirts, multi colored peacock hair, and a face full of metal.

OR: Stop bathing, Dress in the scruftiest close you can find, find a mangy dog, and a rope for a leash, a carboard sign saying "any amount will help" and stand on a street corner with a cup. (actually I've heard these guys make some big bucks).

I flunked the Camo phase of training when I was in Portland. I set out side of the Starbucs at the Clackamas Town Center, drinking Dunkin Donuts coffee,(don't like yuppie coffee) smoking, wearing western boots, jeans, leather suspenders, long sleeve western shirt, and a baseball cap with the bill toward the front.

I don't care that I flunked, those young ladies in short dresses are pleasing to my old eyes.

hahaha. i stick out like a sore thumb. i am the guy in neutral tones... with my hair high and tight.

when i have a full beard i cant go to the gunshow without at least three people asking..

"hey its Chris Costa....can you sign a autograph!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ghillieman2011 said:
i would appreciate any critique you guys got for me... i have rhino skin.</div></div>

Don't they make a cream for that...It was a good video.