• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How did you decide on your equipment???

snaptrigger

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Connersville, IN
Myself and a couple of my buddies are beating ourselves up right now trying to decide which way to go on some new rifles. We all have great shooting rifles but nothing that is either "custom" or "precision". We call each other regularly throwing around ideas on what direction we're thinking.

Do I get a Savage FP and get a good stock and bed job with AI mag bottom metal?

Do I save and spend $3000 on the Les Baer AR 10?

How did you guys decide which way to go with your rifles. I know it is a wide open question but if you have a personal experience that you care to share, throw it out there.

Personally I will use mine in occasional bullseye 100 yd shoots and general fun time shooting out to 800 or so yds. Also, does a suppressor improve accuracy or does it just not hinder it? Thanks guys.

Re: How did you decide on your equipment???

I get about 1,000 times more enjoyment out of shooting a bolt gun as I do a semi for some reason, so I went that direction. These days I don't find myself getting in many fire fights, so the increased fire potential of a weapon like an AR-10 does not prove to be an advantage for me. However, there are others on here who love to drive their AR's, to which I say, "More power to you." Obviously your mileage may vary depending on likes, dislikes, need, perceived need (this is the one that gets most people I think, myself included), etc. My suggestion, buy or use one of everything, get rid of that which does not do it for you.

On suppressors, you will notice that I am from Illinois, so I don't speak from great personally experience. However, I think the general consensus is that they do no hinder accuracy & typically improve it if anything (some times with a slight & repeatable shift in POI).

Trial and error for me, and not being honest with myself at first. Figure out what YOU need for the type of shooting you do. If you're not crawling through the woods or shooting a ton of matches, ask yourself do you really need an AI, TRG, OBR, etc.? Doesn't mean you don't want one..trust me. (got the painful receipt to prove it lol) But for the type of shooting I do, honestly my LTR was more than fine enough. The AI was icing on the cake and something I just really wanted. If you got disposable income, then by all means an AI, GAP are hard to beat. But if you only plink and shoot groups at 100 once a month then a nice remmy or even savage could do you just fine.

But before you drop serious coin on some goodies because you hear great things about them, be honest with yourself and analyze if you really need them. Can save you a lot of $$$ down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clarence Carter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trial and error for me, and <span style="color: #FF0000">not being honest with myself at first</span>. Figure out what YOU need for the type of shooting you do. If you're not crawling through the woods or shooting a ton of matches, ask yourself do you really need an AI, TRG, OBR, etc.? Doesn't mean you don't want one..trust me. (got the painful receipt to prove it lol) But for the type of shooting I do, honestly my LTR was more than fine enough. The AI was icing on the cake and something I just really wanted. If you got disposable income, then by all means an AI, GAP are hard to beat. But if you only plink and shoot groups at 100 once a month then a nice remmy or even savage could do you just fine.

But before you drop serious coin on some goodies because you hear great things about them, be honest with yourself and analyze if you really need them. Can save you a lot of $$$ down the road.</div></div>
Damn, there's some truth for you. My needs & wants are polar opposites of each other. But alas, wants are so much more fun!!!

Yeah I have a problem of "wanting" more than I can afford. I'm maturing in the world of firearms, I no longer just want several different guns, I want the good stuff now. I'd rather have one good one instead of 2 that are ok.

That's why I want to do this right. I like the allure of the AR-10's, but I love the look and feel of bolt guns. I have played with Nightforce scopes and can't think of anything else than putting one on my next rifle, which makes me lean back to the bolt gun!!!! But if I get bombarded by zombies I need the AR! See what I mean!!!!

Get what you can shoot a lot. If funds are such that if you buy the Les Baer, you'll barely be able to afford ammo, that wont do you any good or be much fun. Don't know what rig you've got now, but a 700, a 70 or a 10FP are all fine rifles that will outperform MOST shooters. I've been rocking a 10FP for 5 years, and im now only to the point where I think my skill and dedication to the sport warrants a finer rifle (just bought an FN A3G).

As already mentioned, pick something that speaks to you. A rifle you know is yours from the moment you lay your hands on it. For me, its a traditionally styled tactical type bolt action with a fat fluted barrel. I have a DPMS SASS too, which is fun, but it doesn't speak to me the same way the FN does.

A LOT of gear gear gets sold in preparation for the Zombie Apocalyse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I have a problem of "wanting" more than I can afford. I'm maturing in the world of firearms, I no longer just want several different guns, I want the good stuff now. I'd rather have one good one instead of 2 that are ok.

That's why I want to do this right. I like the allure of the AR-10's, but I love the look and feel of bolt guns. I have played with Nightforce scopes and can't think of anything else than putting one on my next rifle, which makes me lean back to the bolt gun!!!! But if I get bombarded by zombies I need the AR! See what I mean!!!! </div></div>

Sounds like you need an ar10...if you can afford it! Tough choice on which one though...jeez. The overall fit/finish of my dpms is ok. Best part is the tight fit between upper and lower. Worst was the lack of finish benching of the locking lugs in the chamber, which wanted to begin eating my bolt and brass. I also really like that it takes the magpul 308 pmags.

Also, ars are EASY to rebarrel, so you can feel good about shooting the barrel out.

You never really know what you want until you have it, and then realize you want something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You never really know what you want until you have it, and then realize you want something else. </div></div>

So true. Welcome to the addiction OP.

I'm a pretty decent shot, I know I couldn't hold a candle to a lot of you guys on here though.

We just had a friendly shoot last weekend and I had the highest ranking factory rifle. I have a 700 PSS with a VX-lll 4.5-14x50 and put 10 rounds on target at 700 yards in 90 secs.

But....alas, I saw what beat me and I says to myself....I need that. So here I am now, trying to upgrade my goodies.

start with good glass. Doesn't have to be USO or S&B, but good glass on a less expensive rifle will get you farther than a great gun with cheap glass. Get something that leaves enough money left over to get tons of ammo. Remember that if you start with quality, its always easier to sell or trade it to move on to something else. And enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But....alas, I saw what beat me and I says to myself....I need that. So here I am now, trying to upgrade my goodies. </div></div>
You do realize that more than likely, a "what" did not beat you, but rather a "who", right?

Maybe, maybe not....I was ahead after the rimfire and pistol section.

I feel like I could have been just as fast and accurate had I been able to shoot their stuff. One rig was an AJ Brown .260 with a Nightforce and the other was a tuned up Savage in a Manners stock with a USO....both shooting 10 rd. AI mags.

I properly slobbered all over both of them and decided that I wanted something in the neighborhood of that.

Just save and buy a little at a time if you want a custom. I agree that I would rather have 1 really good than 2 ok. I just finished up my second custom build, and now starting a 338LM. It is an addiction. My wife says I should be committed and treated.

I tell her this is our retirement. they are truly an investment on the customs.

I think you'll be happier building the Savage than you would be with an AR10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think you'll be happier building the Savage than you would be with an AR10. </div></div>

+1

Also you can always take a base action such as a savage or remington 700 further build on it as you go. I say start off with a regular tactical or heavy barreled rifle, put it in the stock you want, spend most of the money on good optics. Then further the upgrading process down the road. Thats what i'm in the process of doing. Bought a 5R, had it bedded in a McM A-5, and topped it with a USO, while bring the x-crap trigger down to 1lb pull. Sure the gun isn't "custom" yet, but it allows me to still shoot as i go without pouring money into it at once. Soon all that will be left of the stock gun will be the action.

I also enjoy Bolt actions over semi auto.

I have lots of rifles some old Mauser's, a few SKS's a couple AR's but the ones that get used the most are my Savages. I have 2 Mod-12's and 1 Mod-16 in .308 all shoot better then me. I have a Stevens Mod-200 in MM Rem Mag great rifle 5/8 inch groups at 200 yds. The .308 all shoot sub MOA's all the way out to 700 yds.. Wouldn't trade them for anything they will last me the rest of my time lately I've wanted something that will do 1200 to 2000 and farther if possible. I know the .338 Lapua Mag will do it with no problems but like everyone has said if you can't shoot it you can't get good. Well match LM ammo is around 140.00 bucks a box out of my league but a .338 Win Mag has pretty close stats so going to go that way. What we all are saying I think is you don't have to go broke to have fun and get a great shooting rifle. So how ever you go good luck and have fun.

+1 for trial and error.
go to matches or the range, find a local SH member and see what he is shooting ask alot of questions when you see someone with something your looking at buying.
for 3k, you can get a nice used NF scope, a used savage in a McM stock and a couple spare barrels or ammunition and be well on your way. you can change your own barrels with a savage also.

for me stocks were the biggest thing. I had a A5 sold it then bought my first AICS 1.5 didnt like it, sold it bought another A5, then an A3, then went back to give the AICS another shot, bought a 2.0. then sold it and bought an A3-5, then a manners T-4 sold both of those and went back to another A5. just a vicious cycle trying to figure out what one likes, especially in the beginning

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have lots of rifles some old Mauser's, a few SKS's a couple AR's but the ones that get used the most are my Savages. I have 2 Mod-12's and 1 Mod-16 in .308 all shoot better then me. I have a Stevens Mod-200 in MM Rem Mag great rifle 5/8 inch groups at 200 yds. The .308 all shoot sub MOA's all the way out to 700 yds.. Wouldn't trade them for anything they will last me the rest of my time lately I've wanted something that will do 1200 to 2000 and farther if possible. I know the .338 Lapua Mag will do it with no problems but like everyone has said if you can't shoot it you can't get good. Well match LM ammo is around 140.00 bucks a box out of my league but a .338 Win Mag has pretty close stats so going to go that way. What we all are saying I think is you don't have to go broke to have fun and get a great shooting rifle. So how ever you go good luck and have fun. </div></div>

a 338lm and 338wm have close stats?, i must be mis understanding this.

I decided to limit myself to very few CHAMBERINGS.

I shoot 22LR, 223, 308, 44 mag and 375 (and 12 gauge)

I found that lots of chamberings and "cool guns" just get rusty.

I SHOOT 22s. I have a 223 bolt and AR. I have a 308 Bolt and AR. I have a 44 handgun and carbine.

You get the picture.

My experience is that a rifle you CAN ONLY use in a match gathers dust (except for the hard core match shooters).

But a rifle that works, is a good friend.

Also, I can one 308 to back up another. So a "tactical rifle" might go with me on a out of state hunt as a backup.

My bolt action 223 backs up my AR on a sage rat hunt. It is also lighter and can go on hikes if the rats don't show up.

Good Luck,

BMT

For me it was the following:
Personal Experience : 50%
Friends recommendations: 40%
Online stuff: 10%

I have shot Remington 700's since i was 5 or so. It was a no brainer when i bought a SPS-V in .308.

I had read about and lusted over a TRG-42 since i was 11. Just got one this year in .338.

My friends all run 700's also. That heavily weighed into what i bought. We all use the same load.

For the .338 i am breaking new ground for my group of friends. I am the test dummy.

For the most part i try to stay with something that i personally know is proven. Over the years i have seen way too many fads come and go in the gun world to hop onto anything. I tend to stay conservative.

EZ

One thing to consider... you can get a long way with a nice used .308 rifle to start. Instead of going all-out to start, take some time w. your shooting buddy and take a good course at a school like Rifles Only or a similar professional instruction facility.

The training will not only help your shooting right off the bat, but help you very quickly start making good decisions about gear. Odds are that by the end of the course, you will know exactly what you want!

At training, you'll also be able to see folks on the line whose gear and guns you can check out. You'll get great advice from instructors (assuming you pick a good school.) You can see who is smoothly moving and shooting... and see who is fumbling and what they are fumbling with. Remember, having lots of gear can be a distraction...

Watch for that guy (there is always one) who shows up with little more than a well-worn rifle and a GI sock full of beans. He will likely be the one who is hitting everything.

Also, one of the best investments you can make is a good quality target .22 (or even a good quality target air gun) with a clear, quality scope on it. You will shoot 500 .22's for the cost of one box of Match .308. That's a great gear investment that will pay off many-fold on the range.

Someone above mentioned buying good scope. I completely agree. A great rifle with a bad scope won't get you far. A great scope will help you wring every bit out of even an older rifle. And will always be an investment that you can move it from rifle to rifle as your skills improve beyond the accuracy of a 'first' rifle.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers, Sirhr

Can you see a common thread running thru these posts. It's true, most of us pick our gear by spending one hell of a lot of money on things we think we need/want and then finding out in a few months that's it's really not what we need/want. Then we sell/trade, take our losses and get on to the next glimmer in our eye. After about 20 or 30 years you will end up with a lot of guns,(couple dozen maybe), about 3 or 5 that you really like and shoot a lot every year. These will usually include a couple of medium to high end rimfires (std. and Mag.), a light weight .308 hunting rifle, a heavy high precision long range toy, usually a .300 Win Mag., a nice shotgun, probably a little lightly engraved 20 ga.O/U, and a lot of medium to high end scopes. Along the way you will buy a bunch of low end scopes, they won't last long, and most important you will have a hell of a lot of fun doing all this.

Ok, lets say I decide on a Savage 10 24" 5R rifling with a HS Precision stock and threaded barrel. How do you know what bottom metal will work with it? I would like to be able to run 10 round mags out of it. I'm coverd on optics and mounts and such.

Do I have to have a gunsmith put the bottom metal in? What else should I have them do to it while they have it? What is kind of standard as far as your basic accurizing goes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, lets say I decide on a Savage 10 24" 5R rifling with a HS Precision stock and threaded barrel. How do you know what bottom metal will work with it? I would like to be able to run 10 round mags out of it. I'm coverd on optics and mounts and such.

Do I have to have a gunsmith put the bottom metal in? What else should I have them do to it while they have it? What is kind of standard as far as your basic accurizing goes? </div></div>

If you get a savage in an HS stock, just bed it and buy a LOT of bullets and brass. Tonight, I just used up the last of my 180gr SMK bullets... I bought 2000 of them just 2 seasons ago.

A lot of the typical "accurizing" mods don't really apply to the savage because of the floating bolt head.

Personally, I do a lot of research and question asking before I build anything. I make three lists with all the absolute features, ok features, and not necessary features and associated costs, and go from there. I get more satisfaction from building a gun rather than buying a turnkey gun. I recently completed a SPR AR15 based on JD Machine matched upper/lower, ss fluted bull bbl, JP Comp, Timney trigger, Magpul PRS stock, Larue cantilever mount and other goodies. You get a great sense of satisfaction from making your own decisions. I am currently collecting/ordering the parts to build a "precision" bolt gun, based on a Rem 700 SPS. I have only been on the 'Hide for a few months but I can tell you this, do your own research before asking to many questions. I can also see why the experienced hands get frustrated when new guys ask dumb questions rather than search out the answers on their own.

Regards,

Rick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe, maybe not....I was ahead after the rimfire and pistol section.

I feel like I could have been just as fast and accurate had I been able to shoot their stuff. One rig was an AJ Brown .260 with a Nightforce and the other was a tuned up Savage in a Manners stock with a USO....both shooting 10 rd. AI mags.

I properly slobbered all over both of them and decided that I wanted something in the neighborhood of that. </div></div>

That savage was mine, and i was the one who took first. It was a pleasure to shoot with you. I put 10 shots on the same target in 48 seconds. I assure you it was not your rifle that caused you to loose the lead. I spend several days a week on the range and when the heat is on its the rangetime NOT the equipment that comes through in the end. that said the glass i had definatly helped. if its any consolation to you i am building another rifle just like mine and it will probably run me 1500 w/out glass. I can build you one identical as well for not much more than that in labor. feel free to shoot me an email and ill email you my contact number back and we can talk about options.

the target we were shooting was OVER 2 moa wide and OVER 3 moa tall. i promise your rifle shoots better than that. you were not missing because of the rifle, it was you. but dont worry you shot great and just need a bit more time on the range. better glass would help, and a bolt knob will definatly make cycling that bolt easier to do fast. the DBM is available for your rifle, look up CDI, then you can run the same mag systsem that allen and i were running.

once again, feel free to contact me for help in doing some tweaking to your rifle to make it more "user friendly"

That savage rifle, will work just fine.... put some thrust bearings in the bolt (backordered for now but i will be buyings lots so i will have some left over for you) put on a new bolt handle (tactical one from brownells no manufacturer listes) CDI bottom metal, and an ai mag. bed it all together and your good to go.

on the other hand, if you ever want to upgrade to something like a manners which for me was WELL WELL worth it, then just buy any heavy barreled savage action in the caliber you want... get it as cheap as possible (one on ingo for less than 600 bucks right now) then put it into a manners stock and do all the above mentioned mods and walla, you have a very nice semi custom rifle like this one.

savagecomplete.jpg

forgot to add that i as well went through several rifles before i got this one. tried no less than 5 differant stocks, but now that i have this it finally feels like MY rifle. everything fits, and everything works and i now have the rifle that i can spend most of my rangetime with and become yet even more proficient with it.

Best way to learn is to do a "build". I bought a Rem 700 Varmint and gradually replaced every component (except the receiver and I had it trued).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe, maybe not....I was ahead after the rimfire and pistol section.

I properly slobbered all over both of them and decided that I wanted something in the neighborhood of that. </div></div>

im the ajbrown 260 guy

our shoot was more about speed than accuracy. my time was 38ish and i was the fastest centerfire time. granted it is easier for me because i have the range in my back yard, but really the only thing that helped my speed was a 10rd mag. ive taken enough shots at that range that i know dial up 13 1/2 moa and im dead on elevation and we had 2.25moa target (windage) so really wind calls wern't that dificult.

i dont know what my group was but for that comp as long as the steel goes bang its a bullseye. to me accuracy is defined by groups and had i taken my time i could have shot a 4 inch group, but on speed it was all about going as fast as you can and having the same check weld, trigger pull, etc.

before you buy i would recomend comming out again and trying my 260. our shoot got cut short but your not ffar away. i wont have the 700 yd range set up (planting) but shoot it @ 3-400 and see what you like and what you dont

for our shoot a ar10 would have been my picture of the perfect rifle, but my rifle was built as hunting wieght 260. defintally adequate for our shoot but not perfect. but i dont shoot for speed often. nick has cdi bottom metal, i have a badger with rad latch. personally i like my bottom metal better than nicks because i like (probably just useto) my mag release better, but i wouldn't call cdi a wrong choice. i dont even own a 10 rd mag. nick shoots a 308, i shoot a 260 so i used his. as a hunting rifle i only need a 5 rd mag.

nick and i shoot together so often its nice to be able to share mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A LOT of gear gear gets sold in preparation for the Zombie Apocalyse.</div></div>

The zombies are indeed coming. It's not a matter of if, its a matter of when.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe, maybe not....I was ahead after the rimfire and pistol section.

Pick the right day, and ill be there with my savage for you to shoot.

im the ajbrown 260 guy

our shoot was more about speed than accuracy. my time was 38ish and i was the fastest centerfire time. granted it is easier for me because i have the range in my back yard, but really the only thing that helped my speed was a 10rd mag. ive taken enough shots at that range that i know dial up 13 1/2 moa and im dead on elevation and we had 2.25moa target (windage) so really wind calls wern't that dificult.

i dont know what my group was but for that comp as long as the steel goes bang its a bullseye. to me accuracy is defined by groups and had i taken my time i could have shot a 4 inch group, but on speed it was all about going as fast as you can and having the same check weld, trigger pull, etc.

before you buy i would recomend comming out again and trying my 260. our shoot got cut short but your not ffar away. i wont have the 700 yd range set up (planting) but shoot it @ 3-400 and see what you like and what you dont

for our shoot a ar10 would have been my picture of the perfect rifle, but my rifle was built as hunting wieght 260. defintally adequate for our shoot but not perfect. but i dont shoot for speed often. nick has cdi bottom metal, i have a badger with rad latch. personally i like my bottom metal better than nicks because i like (probably just useto) my mag release better, but i wouldn't call cdi a wrong choice. i dont even own a 10 rd mag. nick shoots a 308, i shoot a 260 so i used his. as a hunting rifle i only need a 5 rd mag.

nick and i shoot together so often its nice to be able to share mags. </div></div>

I have the most extreme variety of gun addicion. I have pretty much the best (some will disagree) of every type of firearm.
List -
1)JP LRP 07 with all the upgrades and with USO SN3 Tpal
2)Surgeon Scalpe with S&B glass
3)Krieghoff k80 gold taret with tube set and 28" and 30" barrels
4)Rizzini R1 28 gauge
5)Ed Brown 1911
6)Ruger MKIII Volquartsen custom
7)very rare walther ppk (party leader) gun

and on and on....

The problem is that I hardly every shoot anymore. Not because I don't want to or have lost interest it's becuase I work WAY too much. So I buy guns not because I "need" them it's because I want them. The bottom line is that I have almost as much fun collecting and building fine guns as I do shooting them - almost is the key word here.

So the next time you're asking yourself if you need a particular high end gun rember me and my plight. Also consider wether or not it'll make you happy. Life's too short not to be happy Money is for spending - you're not taking it with you.

I just recently bought an SPS-T AAC-SD (Rem 700 action, 20" barrel, 1:10 twist, 308 win.) I'm going to mount a Viper PST 6-24X-50mm FFP MRAD reticle on it using some seekin's rings and probably a seekin's rail.

First I selected a purpose: 90% LR target shooting skill development, 5% Game hunting, 5% non-game hunting.

Next I selected a caliber. I went with a 308 winchester. I want something that can shoot a long ways (well over 600 yards). I also wanted something I could hunt with. The 308 has both the distance to go to 1K and more than enough diameter to be a CP2/CP3 hunting round. Now there are all kinds of rounds in this range, 270 WIN, 30-06, 7mm, 300WSM, etc. I ended up with the 308 Win because it's ballistics are very well known. The reloading is very well known. The Federal Gold metal match is ~20-23$ a box. So I can shoot it without it hurting my wallet too much.

The next was to select an action. I chose the Remington 700 simply because it's so widely known and the aftermarket is so large. I thought about the savage, but for whatever reason I got my heart set on a remington.

Next I looked around at the different configurations. I chose the SPS-T AAC:SD because it had the higher twist rate, shorter barrel, decent stock, and low cost.

I would like in the future to play around with some 185 and 195 gr bullets, simply because it sounds fun. However the 1:10 should still shoot 175s very well.

The stock is a nice upgrade over the cheap plastic on the SPS_ varmint. The stock on <span style="font-style: italic">this</span> gun doesn't flex to touch the barrel. It's also very comfortable and the trigger guard to palm rest is short enough my wife can still feel comfortable on the rifle. Yes, I said my wife. She shoots with me and the more comfortable she is on my guns the more toys I get. She also can't complain how much I spend on toys when she's playing with them too. If you're wife doesn't shoot with you, you should really give it a try. I'll probably upgrade it in the future, but for now it'll do.

Barrel length was the third reason for buying this gun. After a lot of reading, I found barrel length has VERY little effect on velocity. As such, I chose the 20" lenght for the less cumbersom rifle. There's also some evidence to suggest slightly better accuracy.

The final is cost. With the remington 700 you almost have a product matrix of products. They all have the same action. You can change the material(i.e. stainless steel) and finish. Then you have the barrel, you've got length, twist rate, taper, and rifling. The last thing is the stock/bottom metal. I bought the SPS-T AAC:SD because it had the barrel length and twist rate I wanted. I could have gone either way on the stainless. It also had an upgraded stock, but it didn't add much to the cost of the gun, unlike say a 700LTR. I paid 630+tax for it.

The next decision was the scope. It was just as hard as the rifle. In the end I decided I didn't want to be limited by my scope so I splurged. I wanted FFP and mil/mil with tactical turrets and something between 16x and 24x because I'm a magnification whore. That lead me to the Viper PST 6-24X-50mm FFP Mrad reticle.

I decided on seekins rings to mount them with on what will be a 20MOA seekins base. I've been wafling between the seekins and the EGW base, finally settling on the seekins. The EGW would probably be just fine, but I've got it stuck in my heart (not my head, there's no logic in it) that it is some how inferior to the seekins. I'm going to spend 1600 between the rifle, scope, and rings it's not time to start quivering over the 60$ difference between the EGW base and the seekins.

I'll post a build log when I get it all put together. But it'll be a little while after I put it together though, right now the only thing I'm thinking about is taking it out and shooting it. Have to wait for the scope though.
frown.gif