• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How do I adjust my eye relief on these rings?

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
The only way I shoot consistent size groups is with a good position and comfortable repeatable cheek weld. The only problem is that if I keep back far enough on the rifle to do this without shouldering, my eye relief on the scope leaves me with a dark crescent moon on the bottom left of the scope (right handed shooter). If I weld so that I'm clear edge to edge sight picture, I can feel my shoulder pushing the rifle and my groups open up big time. So I need to back the scope up so my eye relief is correct when I'm in a repeatable position with a good NPA and hold.

No joke about the crappy scope or rings, this is what I have to work with. And it works damn well enough, but the sight picture is obviously not clear with me so far back from the scope.

How do I move these rings back on the base? I have to move the rings since the scope is all the way back in them at their current position. How do I make sure the crosshairs are level with the recoil lug base when I'm done?

Thanks y'all!!

14563799684_b18b7859e2_b.jpg

14528527646_457eabe4d3_b.jpg

You have to get extended rings or a one piece Weaver base.

At the closer distances it won't matter to much that the reticle is not perfectly level. You need a bubble level mounted up to be able see that you are level anyway.

Last edited:
There's no way to move the rings rearward on the base? Seems like there should be.

You could flip the rear base 180degree but that won't help you on the front. Those are weaver bases, and it looks like there is only one slot in the front base, so you are stuck with on spot for the ring.

Go a head and spin those dials and take the scope off and you'll see.

That being said, basic, aluminum weaver bases are dirt cheap - like $15 each, so buying something new for the front that will get the ring back should not be a problem.

Ahh, yes I see. I did however realize that there is a rear adjustment to the Bushnell Sportview. I have no idea what its purpose is...

And you do not need your scope level to the recoil lug. You need your scope level to the world when in your normal shooting position.

I wonder if you could cut a notch on the front base a little further back. Then you could mount the front ring a little further back.

Is the length of pull good for you? If you could stand a little shorter stock, you could cut a little off the back end to put your face closer to the scope.

But, if you got a few bucks to spend, take a look at rings or a base that could solve the problem. You might even put a request on the Wanted to Buy forum to see if someone has something laying around.