• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How do I get brass marks off windage turret?

bluto77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2012
Houston, TX
_DSC0536.JPG

Looks like the windage turret caught a few pieces of brass being ejected. Is there a way I can get this off? All smart-ass, condescending, and even helpful replies welcome.

Copper solvent and a toothbrush, or white toothpaste?

Go lightly. 0000 steel wool might work with some solvent applied to it, but go lightly.

Chris

Hoppes, a toothbrush, and some elbow grease should do it.
I'd be hesitant to use any kind of polish or even 0000 steel wool, once may not abrade much, but you'll probably have to do it again.

Remove the turret when you're shooting. If you need to make windage adjustments, pinch the internal mechanism tightly and remember the number of clicks. Put the turret back on when you're done shooting.

use a black "sharpie" and do some touch-up if it bothers you so much....................and from now on....paint each round black before you load up.

How do I get brass marks off windage turret?

A pencil eraser should do the trick. (Not being a smart ass) As long as the metal leaving a mark is softer than the surface, it will typically be superficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Drag it behind your pickup fora couple hundred yds, then post it to the HARD USED optic thread...

Common problem....... long term solution.......with rite reticle..( duplex )...twist scope so windage turret becomes elevation ,with elevation turret used for windage.....

Ha! Great answers! This is obviously the end of the world for me. Those markings open up my groups by at least an inch. Also keep me from hitting most steel targets out past 100 yards. Must be throwing off the balance of the rifle due to the added weight.

I'm trying to sell the scope. That's the only reason it matters.

I agree with the character it adds. Plus, you can't even see it when the scope is mounted (at least I couldn't). The guy that is interested in buying the scope is wanting me to knock another $100 off of the initial offer he made, and that initial offer was $200 less than my price. Not wanting to take a $300 hit, and wanting to avoid the conversation with any future potential buyers.

I agree with the character it adds. Plus, you can't even see it when the scope is mounted (at least I couldn't). The guy that is interested in buying the scope is wanting me to knock another $100 off of the initial offer he made, and that initial offer was $200 less than my price. Not wanting to take a $300 hit, and wanting to avoid the conversation with any future potential buyers.

Might be best to avoid selling to a nit picker.

OFG

Tell that dude to pound sand. It's a used scope for christs sake. Those marks are the nature of the beast.

Q tip and some Butch's bore shine or shooters choice should take it off. Cleans up a bolt face just fine.

scotchbrite and WD40.. That should do it. If not let me know and I'll just send you a new knob.

There are always those kinda things when it comes to selling stuff. I would have said... "Oh yeah, you are right!! I have to add $100.00 to the cost to replace all the brass it tore up!!"

DK

LOL 100 bucks for brass marks, i mean its a US optics..... simple question, does it affect function of the scope or detrimentally alter the appearance? No eff it I'm good with it.... someone is just trying to save a few bucks. If those are in the pics of the WTS ad then tell them its listed and hte price is firm.

Prospective buyer probably knows how to get the brass off, just trying to get a better deal. Like other posters have stated, WTF difference does the brass make. It gives it character, and if the individual doesn't want to pay YOUR price, someone else will probably come along that will.

_DSC0536.JPG

Looks like the windage turret caught a few pieces of brass being ejected. Is there a way I can get this off? All smart-ass, condescending, and even helpful replies welcome.
Suck it up! It adds nothing but character. If you want it pristine, make her your ​safe queen.

I got as much off as I'm gonna do. Whoever buys it can pretty it up further if it's that important to them. Looking at it normally you can't really see anything. If you tilt it just right so the light catches it just so, then you can see that there was something there.

20141003_221258.jpg

20141003_221335.jpg

20141003_221359.jpg

20141003_221556.jpg

Thanks Jason. How much is a new knob? I assume it's pretty simple to replace.

Just pm or email me your address and i'll send you one. Yes easy to replace. Just loosen screw pop old one off put new one on.

I appreciate the offer Jason, but I got mine cleaned up. No big deal. Plus, you guys aren't obligated to send out free knobs to everyone that gets a little bit of wear on their scopes. I do sincerely appreciate the offer though. It falls in line with everything I've heard and experienced with US Optics service! Thanks again man.

Tell that dude to pound sand. It's a used scope for christs sake. Those marks are the nature of the beast.

Yep.
Mine has marks beaten into the knob. I don't expect it to buff out.:cool:

Brother Bluto, why would you want to sell this Hope Diamond of a scope, 2014 manufacture USO so slow?
I like the scope, but its just so damn big! If US Optics comes out with a 5-25 more along the size of a Kahles 624 or March 3-24, then I will be first in line for one.

In before augnmike whines like a

1-6X Khales (17 oz.). Like someone is going to be doing a lot of milling/ranging with a 1-6X.

624 beats this in spades.

There is a reason that March beats USO so slow in F Class.

Hey, they sell 400 scopes a year! Woof.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Useful answer: Put a little Patch Out, or other good coper solvent on it, and let it dissolve the brass marks.

Useless answer: Cut the knob off with a plasma cutter.

The choice is up to you.

Edit:E'ffing autocorrect.

Grab a few extra pieces of brass and rub them all over the scope. Instead of taking $100 off for the brass marks on the windage knob, charge an extra $150 for the custom coated optic.

Thanks for the help and the inspirational smart-ass replies. I ended up selling it for what I was asking.