• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns How do I grip my Sig, again?

freereload

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2011
Washington
Some time ago I started using the 'thumbs-forward' grip for pistol shooting, but then when I went back to shooting my Sig, my thumb rides right over the slide catch, meaning that I havent seen my sig's slide lock back since sometime in 2010...

Anyway, what's the preferred way to grip a Sig?
Pictures would be great.

Re: How do I grip my Sig, again?

Seriously? bend your inner thumb at the knuckle- so the tip of your thumb points downward/forward (should be just about to touch your middle finger- depending on hand size and which sig pistol it is- my P239, the thumb and middle finger touch. On the 220 they don't) Should put you just below the mag release/decocker lever . Sorry I just took a picture- but I'm not "computer savy" enough to post a picture.

I forgot to mention that my hands don't ride well when I bent my thumb down and out of the way, and I don't shoot well when I ride my right thumb over my left hand. I could make that stuff work if I HAD to, but I was wondering if someone else had something better.
As uncomfortable as it is for me, I don't see how anyone could shoot like that. Maybe my hands are just wierd.

It's a P239.

I'll take your Sig off your hands for you, I wouldn't mind another 239... so you can go back to thumbs up shooting.
wink.gif
Can't you lower your thumb a hair to ride just below the slide catch.

It's gonna take more than that for me to get rid of the ol' Sig.
wink.gif
It's treated me too well.

There's not really room for my thumb to scoot down more -I've got pretty wide hands. I'll look into how other people grip their pistols and see if I can just force something else to work. Maybe shoot with my thumbs wayy high...

It's whatever you're comfortable with. You just have to play around with the different grips. Hold on loosely, but don't let go. If you cling too tightly, you might loose control. Hehe.

Hey it was worth a shot... haha- Something that I've seen recommended with the 239 when you have larger hands (which I don't have a problem with, but...) is to look at larger grips (i.e. the Hogue over-molds). Might be worth a shot- if it makes you able to carry/better shoot your Sig...

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-Wraparound-Finger-Grooves/dp/B0014VX71I

This is what I mean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... Hold on loosely, but don't let go. If you cling too tightly, you might loose control. Hehe. </div></div>

If only the gun was a .38 spl that would be perfect. HA

This issue is why I don't do Sigs. It's really a bummer because otherwise, Sigs are great.

I don't see the issue- I don't know if it is hand size- or the way you feel natural to hold the hand gun- however I've never ran into an issue like this. I guess that is why most "quality" gun shops recommend you rent a gun to try out before you buy it. That way you know how it will work with your hands an preferences.

I would probably just deal with the slide not locking back rather than give up the high thumbs grip.

But perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask. I sold all my Sigs years ago.

SIG700, I had those grips kicking around from when I bought the gun, so I put them on and they helped out a lot, but still not good enough.
It doesnt feel natural to NOT grab the gun as high as I can manage. When I look at my grip, it's like I'm grabbing the entire pistol too high. The controls just sit so low in my hand that my thumb can't help but ride the slide catch. I shot the pistol for a few years just fine, but then I started shooting my brother's XDM for a while. I might have watched a Magpul video or two around that time as well.
sick.gif

Then when I came back to the gun I developed the current problem. It's a shame, because I shoot the gun really well like this.

I think I'll try shooting it same as always, but with my strong hand thumb relaxed a bit, pulled away from the controls and resting on the heel of my support hand. I'll break out the snap caps and see how that goes tomorrow. If it works out, I'll take pictures in case anyone else wants to see.

I was just letting the slide not lock back for a long time. The issue really gets to me when I do drills, though. Hard to let myself let that happen on a gun that only holds 7+1 rounds. Those reloads come around pretty often, and I'd like them to be as quick as possible, and I'd REALLY like to know when I'm out instead of waiting for my gun to 'click' instead of 'bang' to tell me.

Agreed. I never had an issue till I read some articles by USPSA, IPSC and IDPA champs regarding grip. Their logic was sound, so I changed my grip so it was like the fast/good guys. I'm faster and more accurate, and the grip is very natural and secure - but Sigs stopped working.

Smith M&Ps do the opposite for me - I can't help but accidentally bump the slide lock - which locks the slide back even though the mag isn't empty!

Oh well, Glocks and 1911s work fine - what else do you need? ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh well, Glocks and 1911s work fine - what else do you need? ?? </div></div>
My Sig.
cry.gif
wink.gif

I have the same problem when shooting my 226. Unfortunately the Sig doesnt't get much action anymore since I've gotten my M&P's. I don't change my grip I just deal with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatmurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... what's the preferred way to grip a Sig?
Pictures would be great ... </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Impact'"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="color: #CC0000">LIKE A BOSS!</span></span></span></span>

15z1k3p.gif

<span style="color: #CCFFFF"><span style="font-size: 8pt">(Because somebody had to say it.)</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatmurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... what's the preferred way to grip a Sig?

<span style="font-family: 'Impact'"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="color: #CC0000">LIKE A BOSS!</span></span></span></span>

15z1k3p.gif

<span style="color: #CCFFFF"><span style="font-size: 8pt">(Because somebody had to say it.)</span></span> </div></div>
I tried that. It didnt work.

I tried all sorts of grips while shooting today, couldnt make it happen unless I held it like a revolver with my thumb tucked away, and I couldnt shoot for beans like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatmurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatmurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... what's the preferred way to grip a Sig?

15z1k3p.gif

<span style="color: #CCFFFF"><span style="font-size: 8pt">(Because somebody had to say it.)</span></span> </div></div>
I tried that. It didnt work.</div></div>

Probably wasn't enough lubrication.

n4f5.jpg