• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do I pull the bolt out of a DevilDog carrier

Glong

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
Kaufman, TX
I have a head spacing problem on a new AR10 build using a Devil dog BCG. I was looking at the unit and trying to figure out how to pull the bolt out of the group. This unit does not use a cotter pin, there is a pin thru the carrier that has a slotted screw on one end. When I try and loosen the screw, the whole pin turns. I am hesitant to put a lot of pressure on the pin without knowing if there is a tool or a procedure I don't know about. Initial web searches have turned up nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you try to just push the pin out as you would a standard retaining pin? I've seen some bolts that have captured pins and maybe the slot is utilized during the assembly process. Hope this helps.

I just gave that another look. It does not appear to move at all when I press on it. The fit of the pin looks very good, I just cannot keep the pin from rolling while turning the slotted side of the pin.

Looking at pictures, I don't think its a screw. Put a few drops of oil on it and try lightly tapping it out. I have a pin in my BCG that looks the exact same and it pushes out like a normal pin.

Ok, I guess I'll get out the bigger hammer. Looking at pictures of parts kits for bolt carrier groups I see that it looks like a split pin. We will see what happens.

I called and left them a message this morning. It will be interested to see response time.

Alright, I applied a little more force and out it came. Thanks for the input gentlemen.