• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How do I shoot?

The_New_Sniper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2014
NJ
New member here, I ordered a SCAR-17s and really plan to get a nightforce nxs 3.5-15x scope (nothing is really stopping me from getting it, planning to order soon).

I've shot recreational and now I want to get a bit into it. I have training with AR-15, and I'm not bad of a shot (steel plates at 200-250 with eotech + 4x mag).

Now, I'm a complete idiot for wanting to order the nightforce, mainly because I really have no idea how it works. Call me stupid please. So let me tell you what I know:

1. I'm in for fast target acquisition to 500-700 yards with my scope (not trying to hit sub-moa, just hitting 12" steel plates). Thats why I feel I should order the LV.5 or Horus 59.

2. Taking first focal plane because I know that it is easier for longer range, although there is a pretty big premium.

Thats it. I have no idea how to do elevation, etc. I'm really new to this and I want to learn. I decided to stop by here and ask. Are there any threads that help newbies with this? I have no idea how to adjust scopes too. And I have a couple of stupid questions:

- Do I need to adjust for elevation and wind at 100-400~ yards (winds are not passing 5 mph+ and we're shooting straight)? I feel like the bullet would have enough velocity to defy the wind/elevation until about 400-500 yards (using federal gold match 175 grains). When will I need to start adjusting?

- Whats with the mils/moa system. I know what they're used and how they are used, but I have no idea about the adjustments.

I'm a complete newbie at this, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'd get a nc star, there no need to adjust the military dots in those. And say again scar 17? Perfect choice, bigjoe on here swears by those

OK look, you have made 12 posts today. All of them basically saying you don't know nuthin but you want to learn. Here is an Idea you might want to consider. Sniper's Hide » Online Training Teaser Video sign up for the online training offered by this forum. You will learn a lot in a hurry.

OP,

How can you know what features you need when you don't know what benefit you will get from such features? On most "tactical" scopes, there are three functions: magnification to help you see better, range finding reticle in either MOA or mil units to help you estimate target distance/holds/favors, and elevation/windage adjustment in either MOA or mil units to help you adjust trajectory (ballistic compensation) to reach target. Using the range finding and trajectory features do not complement "quick target acquisition"; and thus, if quick is what you need then you might want to mount an ACOG on your SCAR, which would better support the quick concept. My advice, buy an AGOG which has a range finding/BDC reticle matched to the ballistics from ammunition produced with the SCAR17

Last edited:
Good questions. +1 for NC Star cuz it rhymes with SCAR.

I'd say look at an ACOG for 308/7.62. The reticle is marked for your different ranges. Just hold in the appropriate spot and.....bang! Not super accurate but will work for your purposes I think.

Also for future reference, forum edicate is to post little, read alot.