• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do I stamp a SBR lower?

toddconley

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Kentucky
I want a 7" 223 for a truck gun to run my can on. I really don't need two lowers. Can I get mine stamped? How?

if you can find an engraver, like they used to have in the malls or jewelry stores, they can do it. or type your question in google, you get a list of places that will do it, click images to see examples.

You will need to do a form 1 and get it engraved with your name and social. There are plenty of examples online to look at.

Trophy shops, too. Check the ATF guidelines for required information and specs( I believe .030" deep x 1/16" tall, minimum, but I could be wrong)

Last edited:
Check out Ident Marking for engraving.

Are you asking, "how do I get the stamp?", or "how do I identify my lower?".

~ or ~

Are you asking, "what is the process of making an SBR?".

You will send the BATF the Form 1, supporting documentation, and $200 check. After a lengthy wait (9 mo?), you will receive a copy of the Form 1 with a stamp affixed. The "stamp" resembles a postage stamp. You don't "stamp" a lower, it is engraved with required data. Go to the "Suppressor" section and scroll through the threads. There are several active and current threads on "Making an SBR".

I wondered about that. I have one I need to send in too

I should clarify that I don't have direct knowledge, just going from rumors. But the rumors I've seen claim the NICS is operational for standard firearms transfers, but NFA is SOL.

Required data is registered owner and city or town as well as state. I would send it off to Indent Marking in Dallas, Texas for engraving as that is what they do. It has to be done within spec and I would not like a trophy shop or whomever to mess up my rifle after I just waited 9 months and spent $200 for a stamp.
Indent marking will not let you mark it wrong. Someone else may not know the regs.

Where did you get the can? If they have decent customer service you might talk to them about dealing with the ATF.

You will need to do a form 1 and get it engraved with your name and social. There are plenty of examples online to look at.

Social, as in Social Security number? Don't engrave your SSN on a rifle. I suspect you intended to type city and state.

Not meaning to shanghi the discussion, and in reply to the above posted question abut the NFA: For the first time ever, my form 4 payment was not cashed in less than 3 days after mailing it. Still floating around, which leads me to believe we can tack on the amount of time the shutdown lasts onto the current 10+ month wait for a stamp. To the OP: build an AR15 pistol or buy a Sig 556 pistol and cut out the death march.

Not meaning to shanghi the discussion, and in reply to the above posted question abut the NFA: For the first time ever, my form 4 payment was not cashed in less than 3 days after mailing it. Still floating around, which leads me to believe we can tack on the amount of time the shutdown lasts onto the current 10+ month wait for a stamp. To the OP: build an AR15 pistol or buy a Sig 556 pistol and cut out the death march.

+1, You can always SBR it later or when the stamp comes in. Of course, it requires a new stripped or pistol specific lower, something you said you didn't need. But who doesn't need another .AR?

Last edited:
Required data is registered owner and city or town as well as state. I would send it off to Indent Marking in Dallas, Texas for engraving as that is what they do. It has to be done within spec and I would not like a trophy shop or whomever to mess up my rifle after I just waited 9 months and spent $200 for a stamp.
Indent marking will not let you mark it wrong. Someone else may not know the regs.

Ident Marking is the way to go. They are a SOT and FFL so they can handle them. Hailing from Alaska its usually less than 10 days, that was back in the spring..
I'm wondering about a Can on 7.5" barrel. That short of a barrel is going to be hard on the first baffle in the can. Are you going with a Sure Fire Can? The SOCOM556-SB woudl be my pick of the litter. I'm down to 11.5" with the standard cans, AAC SDN, SF212, Gemtech HALO, and G5.
I'd use the SF Brake on it as a sacrificial first baffle. You can always change the brake when it wears out..
YMMV

Thunderbeast 223a is rated for a 7" barrel and full auto fire. However, even with the can you will still not have 16" if it is pinned and welded. That combo comes in at about 14" total.

This is a 12" seekins rail, 7.5" noveske barrel, and a Thunderbeast 223A Suppressor.