• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How do you carry extra ammo into the field?

Re: How do you carry extra ammo into the field?

OK i'll bite. What kind of hunting? I use my pockets.
grin.gif

Deer: with a bolt gun, Fill the mag, bolt over ride one in the pipe, call it good.

Deer: with an AR, fill a mag with the appropriate amount of ammo...done.

Varmints: AR's - extra mags in a pack, or in the summer fast mags on a belt. Carry more in a pack if its P-Dogs.

Out cruising around finding new stuff wandering the woods, I'll fill the mag and leave the chamber empty most of the time. If I figure I'll do some shooting, I'll toss a few on the pocket.

Thats all I can really think of.

C_K

Depends on whether we are talking big game hunting, small game hunting, varminting, and the weapon being carried.

For big game hunting: There are a dozen or so gadgets on the market, but I still don't see the value of carrying a lot of extra ammo other than in my pack when carrying a bolt gun. 4 rounds in gun and I'll keep extras in my pack...I have yet to need a third shot, let alone a fifth, to actually anchor any deer, and all but a handful have required only one shot.

When carrying a .22 LR for small game, I have a 10 round mag or a 9 round cylinder, so I follow pretty much the same rule; Gun topped off and a box of ammo in my pack/pocket.

For shooting prairie dogs...usually carry a Ruger 10/22 or my Savage Mark 2-FV and throw as much as a brick of ammo in my pack as well as loose rounds in my back pocket so I can quickly reload my mag(s).

The only place I could see real value to an on-gun ammo carrier would be in the case of single-shot rifles. In those cases, a elastic style shell-holder on the buttstock can be a real asset. Of course, when I was young and gung-ho I carried a Stevens single shot 20 gauge and would keep an extra shell in my support hand.

When hunting with my revolvers, I just load up and then stick a few shells in the change pocket of my jeans. Lo-tech, but quite effective. Maybe I'll learn to like some of the more advances ways of doing things some day, but this really isn't rocket science. I've done quite well with just keeping the mag/cylinder topped off and reloading when the smoke clears.

-The Kid.

I do it pretty much the same way whether it's Big game, predators, or a 22 for small game. I carry a full magazine in the rifle with a full reload +1 in the stock pack. (or an additional mag in the stock pack if it's a 22.) Anything extra goes in a pack or pocket.

I carry extra ammo in the field on me. LOL

Seriously it depends.

If I am on a large piece of public land that is foot access only or an area that I am walking and traveling a lot, I will carry a backpack which I keep light. 1 or 2 boxes of 20 rnd ammo extra in there, water, a few snacks, pair of socks, gps or compass, small first aid kit, and the most important item (toilet paper). I usually carry a sidearm holstered with 2 mags in the pocket ( but i do that everywhere allowed by law).

If I am hunting on a farm in a stand or blind, I just fill the gun up and put a few, maybe 5 in my pocket.

If I am going out in the field to target shoot, I carry a good ole military surplus ammo can.

atv_trailer96.640x480.jpg

Just joshin... 4 in the gun and 5 extras in the Eagle Industries stock pack, for just-in-case. Long ago, my grandfather was pinned in a tree by a pack of wild dogs, while hunting deer with a muzzleloader. He shot one or two before it got too dark to see, at which point he just had to wait till they lost interest and left. After hearing that story, I don't go out in the woods without a loaded G22 and a surefire as well.

With a bolt action or a single shot I only load one shell in the chamber. No need for more than one. And I actually do almost all my hunting with single shot rifles.

3 to 4 extra cartridges total. One extra in either my shirt pocket, or pants pocket. 3 to 4 extra rounds in a small leather belt pouch I put in my fanny pack or back back. Depending on which one I take with me.

A repeater is worthless to me unless I am after multiple critters. However I simply do not take bad or questionable shots at deer. If I am not 100% on my shot, I don't shoot. Tom.

I carry 4 rounds in my 260 or 270 during a hunt...more than plenty considering its a 20 minute walk or 5 minute ATV ride back to the cabin from my stand.

For muzzleloader, I'll carry the load in the rifle and 2 quick reloaders.

A stock pack and/or one/two of these....

0123111203a95241127.jpg

3a388756.jpg

06d40884.jpg

I've decided 20 rounds is too much extra weight to carry around. I think 10 rounds will work better.

If I have mags mag in extra in pocket more in pack. Internal mag full mag the I got one of those elastic buttstock holders and put it around my not trigger hand forearm for easy access to more rounds only holds 10 but is generally enough otherwise put more in pack. For .22 box of cartridges in pocket.

if hunting... i only take one.
eek.gif

In all seriousness, just throw them in outside pocket of my backpack.

well for me I never go into the woods with less than 30 rounds. and a 45auto with 2 mags.

Reason being, I 16 yrs old and was on the tippy top of Skyline Mountain in North Al with the then biggest buck I ever killed, a nice 180-200 pound 10 point ( 5x5 for you westerners). In dragging that beast I happened upon a pack of yotes numbering 20 or so. they was not content in the guts or field dressing or not all was. They followed me and my prize. I had 4 shots with me. One I used on my deer. 3 left. Killed one coyote at about 45 yrds from me. Scattered them, started dragging the deer again, and in about 15 mins killed another at about 30 yrds from me. Now completely dark and one shot left I was getting scared. Could hear them walking around me CLOSE. the yelping didnt help any either. My little maglite was catching the pests as close as ten yards at times. So F-it I left the deer and the one shot I had left was going for that close call case. When I made it back to the truck my father and brother laughed at me thinking it was just yelping coyotes. I proved them wrong the next morning showing them 2 dead dogs and a ripped up deer. So I carry a small arsanal with me now.

Laugh at me if you want to. But I will not leave another trophy behind.

If hunting in the midwest within a mile of my truck, I typically have a muzzleloader. So I have what is in the tube plus 3-4 reloads with me, either in a shotgun shell holders on the stock in small tubes (if a smokeless ML) or in commercial reload tubes in my pocket. Usually, also a 41Mag revolver or Glock 23 on my hip, for coyotes/meth head encounters (not unreasonable in the area I hunt, property owner demands I carry a sidearm as he's had scary encounters). Sometimes a second long run (ML or 44 carbine). If I have the 44 carbine, 5 in the gun plus 8 more on the stock holder.

Out west, I'm usually backpack hunting 7-10 miles from the vehicle. I carry 4 rounds in the gun, 6-8 more on the stock, and 10 more in a shell wallet in my pack. It's heavy but I was lazy once and figured 8 on the gun was enough and left the wallet at the truck for weight...shot a mule deer, gave him a second as insurance given terrain. Then found an elk, pumped 5 into him before he showed the effect....when recovery could become next to impossible if they cross the next ridge you keep shooting to they are down. At that point, I had one round left and we had to hike out, in the dark, with backpacks full of meat, through thick grizzly country, with ONE ROUND.

Now, I just carry the extra 10 rounds.

Bottom line, I'm a fan of stock holders. Easily accessible and don't affect the carry of the gun.

You'd be amazed at how easily one can keester stache a box of boolits

5rd mag loaded here and a stock pack with 6 extra rounds. I have ran out before hog hunting and now I always carry extra.

i keep 3 in my rifle and 10 in a wallet on my belt and a box in the
pack. side arm two mags if when i lived out of state the mags hold 15+1 10mm but here in cali i have to stick with 10. but i archery hunt so it 5 arrows

For black powder or bird hunting, I carry one of those fanny pouches that strap around your waist, it's nice as you can slide it around to front or back. Any other hunting, I don't carry extra.

I have a sherpa with me to shlep all the ammo

I just carry what the gun carries, or since I use model 70s, that five rounds in the mag ( I don't carry a round in the chamber when I'm hunting).

I figure if I cant get the critter with 5 rounds, he'd have left the country and I wouldnt have anything to shoot at.

I handload, but I save the plastic inserts from factory boxes of ammo. I load one strip up with 10 rounds and toss it in my small hunting bag that I keep my knife, water, asswipes, etc. in. I find this works great, just pull them right out and reload. It holds them secure enough that they don't slip out or get dinged up and you don't have sharp bullet tips poking holes in a Ziploc bag. If I lose this cheap piece of plastic out in the field I don't care.
2l7sjo.jpg

hold 3 in the mag, 5 on the eagle stock pack. if im going to be out for more than a morning or afternoon hunt hunt then i always take a backpack with me full of stuff and some ammo boxes

Couple extra mags, stock pack or in my ruck. It also depends on what im hunting and where.

5 in the gun, 5 on the stock pack. Another 10-20 in an ammo burrito from 8541 Tactical that I keep in my pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To those that only carry a few rds? How close to help are you? Do you have cell service? Are there wild animals that can attack? </div></div>

You can be as close to help as you want, have full signal on your cell phone, but when the Mountain Lion really want's you for dinner...you won't even see it coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don't Tread On Me!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To those that only carry a few rds? How close to help are you? Do you have cell service? Are there wild animals that can attack? </div></div>

You can be as close to help as you want, have full signal on your cell phone, but when the Mountain Lion really want's you for dinner...you won't even see it coming. </div></div>

That is kind of my point. Why not carry at least a box of ammo?

Extra mag in the stock pack as well as extra in the loops of the stock pack, and the rest of a box in my ruck. 'Cause you never know, your deer hunt may turn into hogs or dogs, and you can never have enough for those.
Eric

Pheasant hunting i throw a box of shells in my vest. With the mossberg i have a butt shell holder and just use my pockets as well.

With the .243 and .22mag i just fill the gun all the way up and the rest in my pockets.

One thing ive learned from 10 years of pheasant hunting is that you can never carry enough ammo...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don't Tread On Me!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To those that only carry a few rds? How close to help are you? Do you have cell service? Are there wild animals that can attack? </div></div>

You can be as close to help as you want, have full signal on your cell phone, but when the Mountain Lion really want's you for dinner...you won't even see it coming. </div></div>

That is kind of my point. Why not carry at least a box of ammo? </div></div>

I dunno, never have unless I'm packing my way in. Never seen the need to carry an entire extra box of ammo. But like I said in my first response, depends also what I'm huning. If it's big game, I carry only what I can fit in the gun and on the stock. I stay light so I can move easier. Small game I usually cary a few extra mags for my .22. I also am not trigger happy, so that kinda helps with the necessity for a ton of ammo.

EXTRA? You bad about missing what you shoot at? LOL!!!
My usual hunting rifle is a 1969 Rem 700 ADL in .270. I fill it to internal capacity and have one in the chamber. If I cant kill a deer in the first 5 shots, something is bad wrong. Deer is going to run after the loud bang of the first shot most of the time anyway right? Then you still have four more to kill the zombies on your way back to the pick up. Im sure its going to be a long trip back to tell your buddies you missed the deer.
If im squirrel hunting, I shoot a 22. I may put a box of 50 shells in my pocket for that. Bird hunting, i suck at shotgun shooting so I need a water cooled shotgun and a Wal-Mart store for bird hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bird hunting, i suck at shotgun shooting so I need a water cooled shotgun and a Wal-Mart store for bird hunting.
</div></div>

You are not alone my friend. They don't make enough shotgun shells for me to succefully hunt anything that flies.

Fill up the gun then enough to load it again. Where i hunt ur lucky to get one shot hardly ever two.

In the sturdy boxes made for ammo, get them at bass pro or cabelas if you want.