• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft How do you determine a "Good Shot" ?

GIO

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2008
Omaha, NE USA
Thought this might be a fun topic.

We always here "He's a good shot" meaning someone shows some level of competency with a given firearm.

What would your standard be before you blessed someone with the coveted title of "Good Shot" with the following firearms

Pistol (auto or revo)
Rifle (optic or irons)
Shotgun (sporting or tactical)

This may be a good one...

Re: How do you determine a "Good Shot" ?

I nominate Jeff Cooper's <span style="font-style: italic">Rifle Bounce.</span>

"The test is conducted on steel Pepper Poppers placed at 100, 200 and 300 meters from the firing line. Three firing points are specified, three paces apart, and the shooter attempts to hit each target from a different firing point. The shooter starts outside the first firing point with his rifle at "Ready" and carrying six cartridges. On signal he leaps into the first firing point, knocks the 100-meter target down, bounces to the second firing point and takes down the 200-meter target, and then bounces to the third firing point and engages the 300-meter target. He is allowed six shots only, and if he does not take down all three targets with six rounds he has no score. If he does knock down the three his score is his time in seconds. An elapsed time of 30 seconds is good. Twenty seconds is excellent.

If the Rifle Bounce is used as a contest, shooting is entirely free-style in accordance with the principles of practical shooting competition. If it is used as an evaluation of rifle skill, the 100-meter target must be taken standing erect, the second target from kneeling, squatting or sitting, and the third target from prone. A shooting sling is permissible, but a bipod is not. As a point of caution it should be noted that a Pepper Popper will not be knocked down by a low hit if it is properly calibrated, thus a clang does not necessarily signify a valid hit.

If you regard yourself as a good rifle shot, I suggest you give this one a try. The world's record was held by Russ Showers at 18 seconds for quite a long time, but this has now been lowered to about 15. If you can produce a 25 on demand, you can join the club."

(Citation from http://www.dvc.org.uk/jeff/jeff4_13.html)

I was at Thunder Ranch once - back when it was still in Texas - with Russ as one of the instructors. I can testify that he is indeed a "good shot". I hadn't heard the story above at the time. We had been cautioned to carry a firearm when we were running on the ranch because of feral hogs, and I encountered Russ one day while I was out running carrying a Marlin 1894S. He stopped me to see what I was carrying. Nice guy, as well as an excellent shot with both rifle and pistol.

While I can't deny the late Jeff Coopers standards, i'm going to get a little more philosophical than Lindy here.

I would say just to be in the running must fit the the following criteria:

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-weight: bold">1) Calls and makes shots
- a good shooter not only can hit the intended target at will; he/she also knows when a shot is improbable and makes necessary adjustment to increase the probability of making the hit.</span>
</span>
2) Fundamentally sound
- few are successful without the proper fundamental base to build on.

3) Versatile
- I would have to say a "good shot" is not dependent on equipment. For example, I know of too many shooters that are too reliant on scopes; and while capable of ranges of 600+ yards with a scope, would never be able to use iron sights past 100y.

I also believe that a "good shot" should be limited to one type of firearm. While not everyone can be a master of everything, there should be no severe deficiencies with any firearm. Ex: "I'm great with rifles, but can't use a pistol"

4) Effective
- A "good shot" should be able get the most out of their firearm. Example: Anyone can get 600y from a .308. The "good shots" are getting far beyond 1k.

NOTE: I find it interesting that neither Lindy nor I every mention group size in this thread.

The Big Obstacle Course at Rifles Only would make a good test. The ranges are not long - from 65 yards to 600 yards or less, and the targets are all at least 3 MOA. The positions are all improvised, and the only prone shots are on top of concrete culverts. Movement within time limits is required.

However, it's not standardized. The Rifle Bounce is pretty easy to set up, and takes little time to shoot.

But, yeah, being a "good shot" the way I think about it, and clearly the way Cooper thought about it, is not about group size.

It's about being able to hit reasonably sized targets under field conditions under time constraints, like, say, one might have to do hunting dangerous game - in Africa, or in Afghanistan...

Good input. I always wanted to be considered a good shot now i have a few benchmarks.

In my world (Chefs) we were always tested with the preparation of a very basic item such as an Omelet or a simple soup, nothing fancy just the basics done right. I guess the same holds true for shooting..no super tight groups or 1,200 yard shots, just basic marksmanship.

Oversimplified:

Can hit what he's aiming at, regardless of conditions.

Safe firearm handler, reliably defeats the target, knows when not to risk a shot which may fail with costly consequences.

Greg