• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you determine which color/MOA for your optics?

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
How do people determine which color they prefer for optics?

I like red for FO on pistol

green for pistol battery powered optic (6MOA dot over 3 or 2) no problem with circle dot or just the circle either, they all work okay

For ACOG, I can use red and green, arrow or horseshoe either works fine for my eyes

I don't shoot rifles at night, late dusk I find green is lit nicely, but in very dark background I find the red seems to work better for me. Again, I have very little experience shooting at night.

I read about how we have twice as many receptors for red, that we pick up green easier- wavelength spectrum; red is in our brain as a priority, etc.

but it depends on what platform and as Sage Dynamics guy says, the laboratory keeps changing so it's difficult to really compare.

Any thoughts or experience to share?

I have always used red as that is what most scopes have come with over the years for illumination. That said I now have two scopes, Burris Pro and Zeiss LRP S3, that have the option of red and green so I plan to try the green and see how it works. Honestly though I don't think it will make much difference as it's more about contrast to the target compared to a black reticle on a dark target or in a darker area but we will see.

For dots I prefer red. Seems to stand out more for me. 2 moa for my AR’s and what not

However I actually use green most times on my atacr for hunting in low light with my bolt gun.

I prefer red. I've tried green and i have a harder time seeing it for some reason. I have a Revic PMR scope that allows you to change reticle color to blue, red, green, or yellow. Still just use the red.