• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you do it in the south???

Re: How do you do it in the south???

nope. laid off at the moment. its just too hot to get comfortable. up til tonight its been cool after a certain point, but its just too sticky to sleep. dogs are wrestless. im a night owl anyway. lucky to get 5 hours if im lucky. been that way forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nope. laid off at the moment. its just too hot to get comfortable. up til tonight its been cool after a certain point, but its just too sticky to sleep. dogs are wrestless. im a night owl anyway. lucky to get 5 hours if im lucky. been that way forever. </div></div>

thought you worked nights since you're always online

ahh, well i have an internet based phone. magic jack. unless the laptop is on, i dont get calls. plus i have been building my savage and lr308 and im always looking for a cheap part. my lr should be called sanford & son cause its alot of used parts, lol.

but its 5:46 and the sun is coming up. its 82* but feels like 88* with a high of 96* plus chances of rain today and tomorrow. i cant wait!

me and the dogs will take all the snow you dont want. winter is our fun time. no ticks in the woods, no bugs, no sweat unless i want to.

its convection like in the house, i hope i can cook off a little fat. maybe i should open a sweat lodge?

Oh man, out riding around looking for a few job fairs before lunch. When I left it was 94*. When I got back it was 99* with Panty 6 outside working the soil of her plant beds. I tell ya, she loves this stuff and being from Hawaii will always love it. Me, I am just happy that it's not winter although Bulleit and I do have fun playing in the snow chasing the kids. It's just that shovelling thing and the fact that the bike runs for crap and trying to find a warm place to smoke a cigar part I don't like.

After spending time in central America, Okinawa and the sandy parts of SWA, the south ain't that bad. Mental attitude helps or hurts.

Pretty nasty here in SoCal right now. 75 degrees and 52% humidity so it feels like 78 degrees. I'm hating it.
smile.gif
Did I mention it will be a freezing cold 54 degrees tonight?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=92019

I've lived in Oklahoma, Virginia, Puerto Rico and Louisiana and spent time in Panama and west Africa. I drink as much water as I can stand then drink some more and avoid sugar and caffeine like the plague and the heat does not bother me much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. There's no better place on earth than Oxford Mississippi when it's hot outside............ </div></div>

Bryan....there is so much truth to that statement! I enjoyed all five years there immensely and even had one of them take me home for good. Still can't afford her but damn they are easy on the eyes! Growing up in South Mississippi and working outside all day long either playing or working all summer you just have to be careful. Get it done early, lay by the creek at lunch, get back to work in the evening and work till dark. Last summer was NICE as far as temps but this summer is gonna be killer if it is indicative of this past weekend. The boys were playing baseball in tournaments where is was over a 100 on the field with high humidity and daddy was hanging out in the stands or coaching with them. Wear light colored clothes that breathe well. Keep LOTS of fluids in you. Keep cold rags in the ice chest and switch them out and place them around your head and neck often. It ain't nothing but a thang!

The key is to embrace it. Start jogging at noon, ride the mt bike mid dayand make your body used to it. I grew up in dfw and haven't had a car that had aworking AC in the last 12 years, I did 11 miles on the my bike yesterday and thought the heat was great.

Plus hot weather makes cold beer taste so much better

OK - here's a challenge.

I hear all the time about places in the United States with very high humidity and high temperatures.

I would like someone to document a place where the relative humidity in percent and the temperature equaled or exceeded 95<span style="font-style: italic"> simultaneously</span>.

Hint: 95 percent relative humidity and 95 degrees would indicate a dewpoint of 93 degrees. <span style="font-style: italic">The world record dewpoint is either 94 or 95</span> - and it didn't happen in the U.S.

Documentation in the form of a link to a National Weather Service or other historical record is fine.

I don't know that I have ever seen a RH go to 90% when the temp was over 90F. We had the Kestral indicate 85%RH at 97F last week and huge super cell was building and moving our way. Within 15 minutes of taking that reading the skywas over cast and in another 15 the storm had moved onto us and it was raining like crazy and down to 78F.

That's equivalent to a dewpoint of 92, which is <span style="font-weight: bold">very</span> high. The heat index equivalent of those readings is 150. I bet it was a bit...sticky.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK - here's a challenge.

I hear all the time about places in the United States with very high humidity and high temperatures.

I would like someone to document a place where the relative humidity in percent and the temperature equaled or exceeded 95<span style="font-style: italic"> simultaneously</span>.

Hint: 95 percent relative humidity and 95 degrees would indicate a dewpoint of 93 degrees. <span style="font-style: italic">The world record dewpoint is either 94 or 95</span> - and it didn't happen in the U.S.

Documentation in the form of a link to a National Weather Service or other historical record is fine.
</div></div>

Ours is tough and generally follows this kind of pattern:
Wednesday AM: temp 70d, dp 70d, and 94% humidity.
Wednesday evening: temp 91d, dp 64d, and 41% humidity.
Thursday AM: temp 75d, dp 72d, and 89% humidity.

This was not too bad Wednesday when it was 91d @ 41% humid. About 50% soaked in sweat, decent evaporation.

Thursday AM at 75d and 89% humid was tough while digging up a broken water pipe. 100% soaked and dripping sweat. No evaporation.

Yeah, Bill, we live 150 feet from salt water, and our dewpoints this time of the year are typically in the range from 77 to 81 degrees - which is a range described by the Wikipedia article on dewpoint as "Extremely uncomfortable, fairly oppressive."

I'm a Florida native and grew up in a house with no AC. I'll take the heat and humidity any day over snow and ice.

I spent 2 years living in Corpus Christi and Florida heat has nothing on those long Texas summers. I burnt the AC in my apartment out living there. I swear it just got hotter everyday just to piss me off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Extremely uncomfortable, fairly oppressive."</div></div>

Let My People Goooooooo!

Humidity is a pain in the ass!

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Extremely uncomfortable, fairly oppressive."</div></div>

Let My People Goooooooo!

Humidity is a pain in the ass!

Kelly </div></div>

Yeah, but it makes us Tuuuufffff!

I deal with extreme temperature changes all day long everyday that I work. The warehouse end that I work in is 22-32 degrees depending on what department you're in, then you drive out into the non cooled portion where right now it's hovering in the mid nineties or so, it'll get up to 105-120 come late july and into August, and then you go to the other end of the building (the freezer) where it's -30 degrees. Yes, that's a 130+ degree change just by driving through a door. When the guys working in the freezer drive their equipment out at the end of the shift, it almost instantly frosts over, and it's thick. You could scoop this stuff up and make frosties.

The trick, is to just quit thinking about it. Like another poster said, just embrace the heat. When I was overweight when I started the job, the heat sucked, but now that i'm 60lbs lighter, it doesn't bother me so much. I'm looking forward to a hot sweaty summer, nothing sexier than my wife when she's all hot and sweaty! It terrifies me to see my little girls sweaty though, I start forcing them to drink a LOT of water!

Branden

There's good reason why folks who can, snowbird. Fly South in Winter, North in Summer. My own and my Wife's physical conditions make this more than a luxury, and our situation makes it a serious challenge which as yet to produce anything even nearing perfection.

We tried doing the extended Winter vacation bit in Orlando, and while it was idyllic in terms of conditions, it was also bordering on toxic in human terms. I cannot foresee its repetition in my lifetime.

Up here, Summers are relatively tolerable, although the last couple of weeks we've been, by stages, forced to hole up in our one room that's got A/C, and then upgrade that A/C. It's tolerable, but it also incubates a particularly insidious form of cabin fever. I end up drinking too much, and that's just one of the problems.

When I was younger, I was treated to real heat in 'Nam. 100+ degrees and tropical humidity, week after week. I began to appreciate the term 'siesta'; in between moments of fierce, terrifying, frenetic activity not normally associated with civilized existence. I'll say I coped. I doubt there was anything better'n that at my pay grade.

People like to characterize Southerners in ways that only serve to confirm the speaker's own ignorance. I can understand who they are and why. But I could never cope with their lives in any realistic way. Not as a life sentence.

Greg

I love the cold weather in Texas...

I have couple of nice 20" fans, one in the garage and even in my home to make it extra cold.

Moderation for any of this nasty stuff.