• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How do you get gobblers in ?

4darkseid

Major
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2018
One of the set ups I like best for turkey decoys is to put a jake looking towards the woods in an open field while I'm calling. That helps make the Tom come in.

My second best set up is when a Tom and Hens are together, use a kee kee call because hens will go instinctively to the sound of a poult. This method works year round.

WHAT ARE YOUR BEST METHODS?

Reactions: Fig
An actual Tom fan on a stick in between a couple light weight hen decoys. Very mobile and works amazing.

A big ole corn pile. I can’t stop them from running in. But of course that’s only during deer season and we don’t have a fall season in North Carolina. I do a lot of run and gunning so mostly a hen decoy or 2 works good for me.

One of the set ups I like best for turkey decoys is to put a jake looking towards the woods in an open field while I'm calling. That helps make the Tom come in.

My second best set up is when a Tom and Hens are together, use a kee kee call because hens will go instinctively to the sound of a poult. This method works year round.

David Smith. .....Jake decoy.....mine was assaulted many times last year.....

I dont use decoys. You can really kill turkeys without them. Now I dont hunt fields much either. Nurly everyone can call better than a hen turkey. Where you decide to set up is 85-90%. You call a turkey to come to you, look for you. Use terrain, brush to make the turkey come in. I do not want to see the turkey until He’s close enough to shoot. The biggest mistake made is by hunters wanting to see the bird come n from a ways out. Hence why most people use decoys. If you can see him, he’s lookn where the calln comn from and wanting to see that hen. Make him come look. If ur hid good, watch the show. Struttn, drummn. They can put on a great show. And they eat good too!!

I dont use decoys. You can really kill turkeys without them. Now I dont hunt fields much either. Nurly everyone can call better than a hen turkey. Where you decide to set up is 85-90%. You call a turkey to come to you, look for you. Use terrain, brush to make the turkey come in. I do not want to see the turkey until He’s close enough to shoot. The biggest mistake made is by hunters wanting to see the bird come n from a ways out. Hence why most people use decoys. If you can see him, he’s lookn where the calln comn from and wanting to see that hen. Make him come look. If ur hid good, watch the show. Struttn, drummn. They can put on a great show. And they eat good too!!
Yeah we hunt open cropland mostly....he may be looking for the hen ....but when he sees Jake game on....seen them many times strutt past real hens just to whoop Jake.....I know if he doesn't see hen in a timely manner he's out of there ...Hunted many years without decoy....and still do sometimes..money's on the Jake Everytime..

Leaving early to my stand way before dawn --- so hopefully the tom will still be asleep and not hear me.

Getting within 100 yards of a roosting tom.

For the fall season: A kee kee run to call in a jake from the boss hen's flock. The jake will feel sorry for you being lost...and will sometimes come on in.

For the spring: Soft tree yelps just after dawn --- Then a fly-down hen cackle, with my hat hitting my thigh for simulated wing beats --- After that... soft yelps, clucks & purrs --- Then sometimes a loud, aggressive --- come hither --- cackle.

late spring season.... less is more.... they can be had even when they aren’t talking..., real soft yelps and occasional purr... mix it up between diaphragm and slate.... call once ever ten minutes or so....
May have to kill a coyote occasionally ....
E0E515F5-7081-46B6-BA96-B27DCAB091A6.jpeg

Reactions: Erno86
An educated, savvy gobbler might run-off if he sees a turkey decoy set-up.

Sometimes an ol' gobbler might turn away and leave when he's seen a jake decoy; because he might be too exhausted to put up a fight with a young jake.

Usually a ride in my Carrera will do it.

I plant flowers in my front yard. They hang out and scratch all day long. ?

Have you tried falling asleep once you're all set up? I've found that works for me pretty often. Downside is when you wake up, shift your weight and the damn bird sees you and runs off into the woods.

Reactions: GONE BAD
I'm a big fan of hunting without decoys. They've hurt me more than they've helped over the years. I've had my best success when you place the shooter 30 or 40 yards ahea of the guy doing the calling. I killed a big coyote last week in that set up. He was circling, trying to get down wind of the hen he thought he was going to have for breakfast.