• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you guys budget for guns & gear?

I also drive an older (2004) truck and even in the Tampa area, my insurance is under $100 per month.
No payment saves $4-800 per month.
The insurance on a new truck would be $3-400 per month too.
Not worth it to me at all.

I spend $2-300 each month on shooting. Add in another $100 for the extra fuel used.

If I want to buy something, I make sure the money is available or I cut down elsewhere including eating lunches and dinners out.

Could I spend more?
Sure.
That would mean less fishing, no savings and worse, not paying extra on my mortgage every month.

Fukka buncha that.

....thats the kind of thing i hear the poors saying as i walk past them with my gold 1911 with ivory grips in my bald eagle leather holster ....

better to be the guy with one gun....pishaw peasant.....better to be the guy with lots of guns....and knows how to use them all.
That's really helpful in this case. Congrats.

Work 70-100+ hours per week.

Buy cool shit. Don’t have time to use it

Edit. Be cheap. Buy used stuff sale stuff demo stuff.

I started out with a SPS that GAP out a takeoff LTR barrel on. Topped with a cheap Leupold. Makes you appreciate nice stuff

Last edited:
cut out restaurants and bars, booze and cigs. you'd be surprised how much that adds up.

Yes. I allow myself one $25-30 dinner every week with buddies and a $100 dinner with the family. Rest of the week we eat decent but cheap. I never go to bars, and limit myself to a few decent bottles of scotch and bourbon a year.

I limited myself on the house (175k, they approved me for $350k). 20 year mortgage for less than most people I know are paying on a 30 year.

Being an electrician, I bought one that needed new plumbing and some plaster tear out. Saved huge because nobody wanted to remodel, but I had people to call with questions for everything that came up. Next up is windows and siding, buddy will help and bring tools in exchange for beer and reloading help. I've gained $30k in equity in less than 3 years (just had new appraisal for refi to stupid low rate).

Your kids are a better investment. Even if that means less for you right now. Accept it and save where you can. If you get the chance to make a few extra bucks once in a while, take it.
Super yep.
Work work work. When someone tells you to take it easy, work an extra shift.
Get a second job and work till you are almost burned out and then take a small break to see the kids and lick your wounds.
If you have time to watch tv and have revolving debt, throw the toob out the window and get that second job.

Yes. I allow myself one $25-30 dinner every week with buddies and a $100 dinner with the family. Rest of the week we eat decent but cheap. I never go to bars, and limit myself to a few decent bottles of scotch and bourbon a year.

I limited myself on the house (175k, they approved me for $350k). 20 year mortgage for less than most people I know are paying on a 30 year.

Being an electrician, I bought one that needed new plumbing and some plaster tear out. Saved huge because nobody wanted to remodel, but I had people to call with questions for everything that came up. Next up is windows and siding, buddy will help and bring tools in exchange for beer and reloading help. I've gained $30k in equity in less than 3 years (just had new appraisal for refi to stupid low rate).

Stud

I am very great full and blessed to have landed a job several years ago that is one of the highest paying jobs in our area.

Keep in mind your geographical area has a lot to do with what the $$hr is. Here $15-20 hr is decent wage.

Up until a few months ago I drove 97 gmc I’ve had paid off since I was 16. I’m 30 now. Finally made a decent upgrade

However everything I buy, with a loan, be it house/vehicle etc has been calculated based on what I made at my old job. I make nearly double what I made in that job but allow myself to fall back to that if the new one crumbles for some reason

I put 18% in my 401k on my end

Have a separate account that some out of each pay check goes for big bills etc

The rest goes into an account that pays the mortgage, electric, etc etc. Any OT goes in there as well and gets used for the toys

If I want a nicer toy (gun) I sell lesser toys to fund it. My AIAT was my last purchase and I dumped a scope and high end AR to get it

1. Do a budget in excel and track every penny earned and spent. Do this for a few months and you’ll see where you can save pretty quickly.

2. Sell the kids. Eastern Europeans pay the most but have also been voted most likely to just shoot you and take them without paying. Either way, it was a win-win for me.

3. Get a second job and eliminate all debt. Keep the second job until you have at least 6 months of bills covered. ...then quit and spend time with the family. ...and by family, I mean the new toys you purchased.

4. Buy used/demo items of the things you want. As stated by another, if you want the S&B then save until you can get it. Don’t cheap out on tools.

5. Give sad handies in alleyways. This is my main source of income.

6. Join the military, get out, go contract, hate life, look at your bank account, quit, buy what you want, hope the family is still waiting for you, if not just look for the gym bag filled with bank notes, buy what you want.

Get a better job!

I have 3 trucks, less than $15k spent on purchasing them over the last 15 years. I keep doing the maintenance and they keep going.

I do all my own mechanic work, saves $120/hr. when they do need work. I have 3 so I can always get to work. Mechanic time is also time to teach my boys how to fix stuff.

Haven't had a truck payment in years. That's easily $600/mo. Another $100+ for insurance savings that a newer truck would cost me.

My buddies ask me how I keep buying all these guns. I point to my truck and remind them it was only 1-3 truck payments for them.
This , absolutely . Fix your own ; vehicle , washer , dryer and plumbing . Wife wanted to buy a new shed for $3,400 . By the time I'm done building what I want it will be around $2,200 and better than the $3,400 dollar shed . Plus I'll come away with a few new tools .

This , absolutely . Fix your own ; vehicle , washer , dryer and plumbing . Wife wanted to buy a new shed for $3,400 . By the time I'm done building what I want it will be around $2,200 and better than the $3,400 dollar shed . Plus I'll come away with a few new tools .

Yep, I got a $37,000 price for a small addition on my home (bathe and large storage/office). My 81 year old neighbor and I did it this winter for $21K and that includes a nice deck.

• Love
Reactions: Alphatreedog
I buy way too much. For the last several years, if I wanted anything that wasn't gun/ammo related I would have to find a separate way to make the money for it.

I don't like spending this kind of money...but every time I see how much cheaper I got something a year ago than what its going for now, I feel a little better about it.

Don't try to keep up with the joneses. There will always be someone out there with more, bigger, and better. You'll kill yourself trying to match them. Make sure living expenses are taken care of, prioritize what you think you need or want, buy the best quality you can afford, take care of what you have, and enjoy. Once you get in a money-saving mindset, you'll be amazed at all the ways you can eliminate waste.

You budget for gun stuff the same you do for everything else you want in your life, unless you are just rolling in money

figure out your must pay bills (inc rainy day fund)
figure out your disposable income
save accordingly and prioritize your purchases

My budget is for ammo, I have most every gun I want. It was pretty low, until all these cocksuckers with their federal unemployment hit. Now I don't even have time to order the shit. In fact that's what I should be doing right now.

10 guage duck ammo is cheap AF.

The only thing you will ever need.

My problem is t saving for guns and ammo and all this crap, it’s saving for all the crap I think I need before everything goes to shit and the commies come for it. Emergency food/supplies, ammo, Guns, tools, water, the list goes on and on and on. I’m thinking of all the crap I think I need to buy to get by before the world takes a shit. Sadly, I can’t do it fast enough. Unfortunately, pretty much everything on my list is super expensive.

94DA044D-6BA8-4494-9FC7-0403346B5436.jpeg

The budget opens up pretty quickly once all debt service costs are eliminated. Side gigs help by funneling additional cash into the discretionary-spending fund.

Reactions: archangel485
What I have found to be true is, work your ass of in your 20s pays dividends in your 30s. Most everyone that’s out doing the single life bullshit in their 20s really start life in their 30s and they’re 10 years behind which is 200k in 401k alone if you max that sucker with no match.

Do not put anything on a CC you can’t payoff at the end of the billing cycle.

Do not have 30 kids.

Invest. Get your money working for you.
Save. Living paycheck to paycheck is irresponsible.

Interesting subject at an interesting time for me.

I used to be able to buy whatever I wanted, within reason, whenever. I just took a 35% paycut (Thanks Chinese-Virus), pretty much overnight, and it has me thinking differently about how I bank roll my shooting addiction.

At this point in time cutting my companies stock purchase to 0% and funding kit/components to start reloading is priority #1.
I feel your pain, same thing happened to me at about the same percentage. I'm currently looking at selling some of my current collection to help fund my shooting, but at the same time I hate that because the rifles I'd sell shoot so darn good and I've put so much time into them, you really can't get that back. When I look at them I see their value but no one else really does.

Like many posters, not using debt has been key for me, I think I would basically have to stop shooting this year if I had a lot of car/student loan/CC debt, thankfully my wife and I dealt with all that years ago.

To answer the OP, budget and avoid debt. My wife and I set a budget every month we agree on. We always have a "blow money" category for each of us. We can save it for however long or spend it right away and on whatever we want without scrutiny from each other. This way you avoid arguments, asking permission, and "whoever spends the extra money first wins" problem. I can't imagine living any other way.

Last edited:
If I were you I would set my timeline to save money for a good AR and as much ammo as possible before November. If for whatever reason Trump loses everything will be gone and then could be banned. Not trying to fear monger but it’s fucking true.

I say that with the utmost sincerity.

If I were you I would set my timeline to save money for a good AR and as much ammo as possible before November. If for whatever reason Trump loses everything will be gone and then could be banned. Not trying to fear monger but it’s fucking true.

I say that with the utmost sincerity.
I agree, with one caveat. If the overarching purchasing criteria is always what is next on the chopping block, then it ends up being hard to justify training with the ammo you’ve stockpiled, or buying other firearms that add capabilities. Again, I agree, but would personally rather have a “balanced portfolio” that I train with all the time as opposed to a ton of ARs and ammo just stockpiled. Guess it also depends on your individual situation.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
• I set a budget with financial objectives
• Worked 2 jobs for 7 years, made myself indispensable and had no time to waste money
• Leveraged skill and reliability to secure raises and bonuses
• Paid off all debt
• I don't waste money (besides ammo)
• Invested the money I didn't use
• Where I live has a low cost-of-living
and I have been blessed with good health.

Now I buy what I want.

I agree, with one caveat. If the overarching purchasing criteria is always what is next on the chopping block, then it ends up being hard to justify training with the ammo you’ve stockpiled, or buying other firearms that add capabilities. Again, I agree, but would personally rather have a “balanced portfolio” that I train with all the time as opposed to a ton of ARs and ammo just stockpiled. Guess it also depends on your individual situation.
Yes i agree. I guess what i was getting at is that if you dont already have an AR you need to get ONE and ammo to go with it cause it could be a major pain in the ass come next year.

Reactions: SandFam3
Start a go fund me for a "Bugaloo Boom Stick", I dare you, I'll gladly give a couple hundo for the cause. There seems to be no shortage of business's and organizations that have declared war on my way of life these days, I have extra.

Reactions: Jscb1b
I've been thinkin bout tightening the belt so I can hedge my firearms / ammo inventory just in case until November . Gonna quit drinkin n whorin .
Well maybe just cut back a bit .

Reactions: nikonNUT
Spend until I’m bruk, then dial er back a bit ; ) . Cook my own food, don’t buy new
vehicles on tick but just fix my old ones, etc. Don’t buy reinvented wheel new calibers,
just run what I have better. Reload all caliber except 22lr, and try to maximise barrel
life by avoiding nuclear loads, AMP anneal for good brass life. And ask myself, ‘ do I
really need this, or am I being a dick?, before I buy anything.

Yes, but not hookers or wives. Either way you are paying for sex.

Paying for it is a lot like buying guns you get exactly what you want when you want it, then when the excitement is over you buy another one.:love:

Paying for it is a lot like buying guns you get exactly what you want when you want it, then when the excitement is over you buy another one.:love:

I would like to see a proper evaluation of return on investment between wives and hookers and how much it costs compared to how much you get on a per annum basis.

Any accountants on here?

We now have a one income family since my wife retired.........loosing over $100,000 a year I thought would be a hard thing, but we are doing ok, we each get an "allowance" every week included in our budget.........also we always got to keep any bonus from our respective jobs...........I just save my money........and I've got some nice guns..........got a new AIAT that was delivered last Wednesday.........

I would like to see a proper evaluation of return on investment between wives and hookers and how much it costs compared to how much you get on a per annum basis.

Any accountants on here?

Wife is way better return on your dollar then the hooker , if you like being stuck will long term investments that you can't get out of.

It probably goes without saying but make a list of things you NEED and a list of things you WANT. Prioritize them. Chip away at that list. Like FjallJager said, buy once/cry once. When you buy cheap (or inexpensive) things to try and "get by" and then purchase what you originally wanted you are paying twice. This is especially true for high dollar items that are difficult to repurpose. For example, if you buy a PVS-14 but really wanted a BNVD, and then buy the BNVD, well that's a lot of dough to have tied up in two items only one of which you can use at a time. Buying a Glock 17 when you really wanted a ZEV (or whatever) may hurt a little less but you still have a pretty good truck gun... Consider a second job/side business to help fund your plans. Get your significant other/family engaged with shooting (if they're not already), you might be surprised how receptive they become to purchasing new equipment when it is meaningful to them and not just you.

The golden rule of guns and ammo: it is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Reactions: SilentStalkr