• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How do you guys choose your .223 projectiles

Porter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
I would say I am kind of new to reloading been doing it for a year or so and I mainly shoot bolt guns. .223 and .308 for some reason I love the .223 platform and want to shot that more than my .308. Mainly because I only have 500yds max. Sou question is how do you guys choose your bullets. Obviously the twist rate is a big factor, but say you shoot 50g or 55g. Do you guys go with the $100 per 1k hornady or get then SMK which are a little over double that price. I know if all about determining what your rifle likes, but as far as those bullets do you see differences in the. I am looking for 50g and 55g bullets to try some load devolpmemt. I don't shoot competition. I just varmint hunt and punch paper and steel. What do you reccommend out of a savage model 12

What are you accuracy goals? I've had great luck with a variety of bullets (barnes, hornady,sierra, and extreme). A good varmint bullet is the hornady vmax, works great on coyotes. I have tried the hornady bulk soft points, and I can't seem to get them to shoot (your milage may vary though). Their is also a sticky on 223 loads in the reloading section. I'd give that a look.

having 11 AR's i buy all kinds of bullets, cheap and bulk for plinkers, match grade for accuracy etc.
figure out what you want to do with your Ar and get the best bullet for the job.
cheers

I second the 55gr Blitzkings. I'm working up 223 bolt gun loads. Blitzkings and Varget

I choose the bullet to match the job. Blitzkings for varmints, Matchkings for the range. Both shoot really well in my rifle. All of the plastic tip bullets shoot ok in my rifle. Lightman

I agree with the 55/69 choice or even some 60 grainers. If your savage 12 is dialed in and your load is too it will shoot them all where a dime will cover all 5 shots.

I shoot the 50Gr. Z max-V max to 600 yards with great results. I can hit a 6 inch steel plate at that distance all day long and use 26.0 grains of H335 and OAL of 2.260.
These rounds cost me .25 cents a piece to load up.
20" barrel 1/9 twist. MV of 3,250

I get amazing groups at 600yards with 60grn vmax 1:8twist barrel

I shoot the 50Gr. Z max-V max to 600 yards with great results. I can hit a 6 inch steel plate at that distance all day long and use 26.0 grains of H335 and OAL of 2.260.
These rounds cost me .25 cents a piece to load up.
20" barrel 1/9 twist. MV of 3,250

I would say I am kind of new to reloading been doing it for a year or so and I mainly shoot bolt guns. .223 and .308 for some reason I love the .223 platform and want to shot that more than my .308. Mainly because I only have 500yds max. Sou question is how do you guys choose your bullets. Obviously the twist rate is a big factor, but say you shoot 50g or 55g. Do you guys go with the $100 per 1k hornady or get then SMK which are a little over double that price. I know if all about determining what your rifle likes, but as far as those bullets do you see differences in the. I am looking for 50g and 55g bullets to try some load devolpmemt. I don't shoot competition. I just varmint hunt and punch paper and steel. What do you reccommend out of a savage model 12
What is the twist rate on that?

I happen to shoot the 69 SMKs. I find them accurate, and forgiving.

I don't shoot the AR15 over 500 yards, if I have a need to go further, I use the M40.