• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft How do you keep dogs away in the field?

Re: How do you keep dogs away in the field?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">away? i put peanut butter on my junk and lay back and wait in anticipation </div></div>

That's disgraceful...Don't you know Dogs have feelings?........I always play soft music and light some candles so they don't feel too cheap.

I always go in with a couple of these.
They do have a NSN number and come in FDE.
NATO aproved yada yada yada...

doggieloverdoll_institucional.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carry a live bunny. Release it when they get close.

Good luck</div></div>

Good ol' cat works too!

wow I thought it was a good question guys... wow I will be honest I didn't expect those type of answers... Well we used to use skunk oil... works very well... Recci leads!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Waste of a good k9. That's freaking sad. </div></div>

that poor guy just lost his partner...thats tough...

I prefer to use the "tough love" technique. As displayed by eric cartman.
step 1. Roll up news paper or find stick
step 2. Hit dog it face
step 3. Repeat step 2 until aforementioned attack dog is deterred.

Optional: For optimal results, consider repeating the line "Bad mister kitty"

I just "Sssst!" at them in a Mexican accent and snap my fingers loudly. It's just simple dog psychology...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just "Sssst!" at them in a Mexican accent and snap my fingers loudly. It's just simple dog psychology...</div></div>

LOL.....That's some funny shit right there..That and VaJayJaypunishers idea about shitting every 10 ft..
laugh.gif

As stated I was taught : defeat the handler. The handler takes priority. Other methods: Suppresed pistol (low caliber, I preffer longer barrel suppresed rifle) (subsonics) ,crossbow, tainted meat, frequency or remote whistler devices. CS powder

Food for thought-

Forget all the crap in this thread...doesn't work. You need this:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xOrgLj9lOwk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xOrgLj9lOwk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I make a living running hounds after bad guys. If you have committed a crime and I get the call I have seen nothing suggested that will help you. If the track is one to three hrs old, as most are, the dogs will run with their heads up and will be gaining ground on your ass so fast they wont even know you wasted time putting pepper spray etc on the ground. If you put cover scent on your person the dogs will just associate that scent with the target (YOU) and this will expidite your demise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I make a living running hounds after bad guys. If you have committed a crime and I get the call I have seen nothing suggested that will help you. If the track is one to three hrs old, as most are, the dogs will run with their heads up and will be gaining ground on your ass so fast they wont even know you wasted time putting pepper spray etc on the ground. If you put cover scent on your person the dogs will just associate that scent with the target (YOU) and this will expidite your demise.

</div></div>

Wouldn't the speed of the dogs be the same as their handler?

Mine runs off leash, I am mounted and there will be a fixed wing or a chopper overhead.

Called a "hush puppy" weapon, dogs overseas are not like dogs here and I feel no guilt in quieting a few during an op. MPSD, or an integral suppressed Sterling are my "hush puppy" weapons of choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine runs off leash, I am mounted and there will be a fixed wing or a chopper overhead. </div></div>

Horseback? I don't think wheeled vehicles would be able to negotiate terrain as well.

I appreciate the service that you provide to the community. You will apprehend the suspect 99% of the time but you will be heavily attrited if you come up against a trained and well equipped individual air support not withstanding.

Yep, Mule-back. I know what will happen if we have the misfortune to be assigned the task of apprehending a highly motivated well trained individual. This applies to all police manhunts. If the right guy flips out and hits the woods the only way to prevent a blood bath is to remove the targets. That includes the officers that sit in their cars on perimeter.

I have tracked folks that had the knowledge, equipment, and inclination to do bad things but didnt. Interviews with the subjects would make your hair stand on end. One bad guy had hidden two rifles, one was in the house where he was hiding. He just happened to be down at the barn when officers raided the house which denied him the use of the rifle. The other rifle was hidden under a bridge. After leaving the house that was raided he walked about a mile to retrieve the other rifle. As luck would have it there was a perimeter unit placed on the bridge the rifle was hidden under which prevented him from retrieving it.

Several subjects said they had every intention of fighting but changed their minds because of the overwhelming force, airplanes, chopper, dogs and cops every where they looked.

The good thing about it is when the dogs hit the track it usually dont last too long. The bad guy dont have a lot of time to deside what he is going to do.

Anyway LE apprehensions are different than someone on a covert military operation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yep, Mule-back. I know what will happen if we have the misfortune to be assigned the task of apprehending a highly motivated well trained individual. This applies to all police manhunts. If the right guy flips out and hits the woods the only way to prevent a blood bath is to remove the targets. That includes the officers that sit in their cars on perimeter.

I have tracked folks that had the knowledge, equipment, and inclination to do bad things but didnt. Interviews with the subjects would make your hair stand on end. One bad guy had hidden two rifles, one was in the house where he was hiding. He just happened to be down at the barn when officers raided the house which denied him the use of the rifle. The other rifle was hidden under a bridge. After leaving the house that was raided he walked about a mile to retrieve the other rifle. As luck would have it there was a perimeter unit placed on the bridge the rifle was hidden under which prevented him from retrieving it.

Several subjects said they had every intention of fighting but changed their minds because of the overwhelming force, airplanes, chopper, dogs and cops every where they looked.

The good thing about it is when the dogs hit the track it usually dont last too long. The bad guy dont have a lot of time to deside what he is going to do.

Anyway LE apprehensions are different than someone on a covert military operation. </div></div>

Mules. You sir are a very smart man indeed. I grew up around mules and they on average are smarter and more dependable than a horse. We coon hunted at night from mule back. Had some bred from saddle horses. At night in rough terrain a horse would get you killed but the mules were more sure footed and steady and could jump over most any obstacle. Their vertical leap was pretty amazing. Man that was a long time ago.

Sounds like good planning and execution made for some very successful manhunts. An individual on foot in this country without support would have to be lucky and/or well prepared to E&E from a well executed tracking effort. The final result would depend on the suspect's frame of mind. Is being taken alive an option for the suspect.

In your experience do the pursued loose aggressiveness the longer a chase goes on? Does changing roles from hunter to hunted alter their frame of mind? The appearance of overwhelming force would shake the confidence of all but the most well prepared.

I have had a couple of horses I had just as soon use as a mule but they really hard to find. We are using one now as a replacement for one of the mules that pulled a stifle. He can jump with the best of the mules but he hates berry vines and other prickly plants. His hide just is not as thick as the mules and he cant tolerate pain as well.

So far everyone has been taken alive and in good health except one that killed himself as the dogs were closing on him.

It is really strange what goes on in the mind of someone attempting to evade a full scale manhunt. It is very common for the bad guy to start throwing away things that he really needs. Things like shoes and clothing. One started seeing little round aircraft, after capture he stated he thought he could have gotten away if it was not for those little flying things keeping him pinned down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> HOW TO: Perfect escape from dogs.

its gonna work trust me. (ignore the BS written at the end) </div></div>

Great job. Killed a man over a stupid dog. Those idiots will rot in hell. Shot their
own dog as well. What a bright bunch. They belong collecting garbage from cans
not the human kind. Stupid, couldn't be any dumber.

With a good handler and dog vs. a skilled runner, it would be a toss up. I've seen dogs smarter than most humans, their abilities are amazing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shit on the ground every 10 feet so they will stop and eat it, gives you time to get back to your mom's awaiting mini van awaiting extraction from the movies </div></div>

LOL! probably the funniest post in the thread.

whatever you decide, do the opposite for coyote hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harleymann02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you keep sentry dogs away before and search dogs when your leaving an area? </div></div>

Easy run around in circles waving your arms and scream as loud as you can, you'll confuse the dogs and they'll wonder "what the hell is this idiot doing". </div></div>

All the above plus pepper sparay on ur anus and boots,...gauranteed to work!

Well first you need to build a scarecrow. Then place it on a wood pile that you are hiding behind. When the search party closes in they will send 2 of the 3 dogs to attack you. Using the rifle that you have taken from the deputy that fell from the helicopter that you threw the rock at, terminate the 2 dogs then shoot the dog handler in the leg. The dog handler will then release the last dog. Since you only had 3 rds you will have to use your knife to dispose of the last dog. Unfortunately that will tip off the search party that you are out of ammo. They will then form a skirmish line and try to hunt you. You must then figure out various ways to take them out without killing them. But in the end you are in the right because they drew First Blood not you.

Gotta love "Firts Blood" ... great movie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeroedin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well first you need to build a scarecrow. Then place it on a wood pile that you are hiding behind. When the search party closes in they will send 2 of the 3 dogs to attack you. Using the rifle that you have taken from the deputy that fell from the helicopter that you threw the rock at, terminate the 2 dogs then shoot the dog handler in the leg. The dog handler will then release the last dog. Since you only had 3 rds you will have to use your knife to dispose of the last dog. Unfortunately that will tip off the search party that you are out of ammo. They will then form a skirmish line and try to hunt you. You must then figure out various ways to take them out without killing them. But in the end you are in the right because they drew First Blood not you. </div></div>

You guys keep the ideas coming, the bad guys need help. This week, hounds 3, bad guys 0.

Ummm..., has anybody suggested keeping a Rescue Leopard nearby yet...?

I'm a firm believer in heading to the nearest body of water. Once there, your trained amphibious attack tiger will take care of any pursuers.
tiger_underwater3.jpg

the dogs in call of duty must be kickin his ass again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> HOW TO: Perfect escape from dogs.

its gonna work trust me. (ignore the BS written at the end) </div></div>

WTF. let the dog go in...IF the punk shoots, THEN shoot...waste of a good k9 unit...i KNOW his partner is having a hard time working with his human partners now...i'd be f'n PISSED.

the best way to counter a dog is to know how it trained and what it's smelling to keep track of you. Knowing how something works means you know where it is weak.
There is no really fool proof method, except avoidance all together.

Take some fake legs with you. The dogs will stop and hump them, giving you enough time to escape.

Probably one of the funnier threads on the hide I've seen in a while.. thanks for the chuckle.
lol

I'm wondering if the member asking this question is one of my renters that is always late on his rent and trys like all hell to avoid me. That is how I tell if he is home or not I let the Shephard out and she tells me if there home or not. Also there is only one way to get a dog off your trail and out of respect for the members of are armed services I will not tell you.

its gonna work trust me. (ignore the BS written at the end)</div></div>

Yeah buddy, that is some FINE police work if I do say so myself.

Here is a good start:

http://k9.fgcu.edu/articles/TrackingAppend.pdf

Top secret stuff used is peanut butter and a young priest and an old priest. Use your imagination for the rest.

As txgw says. An old friend of mine...LEO of course...was deer hunting down here with dogs. One of the chaisers dogs kept coming around his stand and barking and pushing the deer away. They got together around noon and he asked whose dog it was. The youth answered, "Mine". What would you take for him, he asked? $5.00. Was the answer. "Here, I give you five. Take off his collar." When that was done, the 870 was fired once. Hard men around here.

black pepper spread around where I am staying for long time or a shot in the head away from everybody.