• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How do you level a Savage rifle for scope mounting

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
I just bought a Savage BTVSS thumb hole .22lr. All of my rifles are Remmys and I use the Wheeler level in the chamber to level the rifle for scope mounting. Well....I got the levels out to find that they would not work on a Savage and there is no flat surfaces on the rifle. Any suggestions??

Re: How do you level a Savage rifle for scope mounting

Level the rail.

Or just mount the rail then use feeler guages to make sure ths scope's bottom is parallel to the rail (if the bottom of the erector housing is flat).

It comes with a very small two piece base that the rings completely cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It comes with a very small two piece base that the rings completely cover. </div></div>
I'd use those weaver bases, and an adjustable bipod, rear bag to get the rifle level, then remount the rings, and level the x hairs of the scope to a true vertical or horizontal surface, or a plumbob hanging on a string.