• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you optimize your tripod?

TheLimey

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2020
I'm starting to think about getting a spotting scope and rangefinder - I've been making do without them at matches and it's time to change that.

My question is: what is the best way to optimize the top end of the trip pod? I've seen some kinds of arca accessory plates with a spotting scope and rangefinder attached. Maybe some kind of bendy armed cell phone holder for recording my stages.

Would love to hear about other folks set ups. Pics appreciated - but no nudes plz.

I'm starting to think about getting a spotting scope and rangefinder - I've been making do without them at matches and it's time to change that.

My question is: what is the best way to optimize the top end of the trip pod? I've seen some kinds of arca accessory plates with a spotting scope and rangefinder attached. Maybe some kind of bendy armed cell phone holder for recording my stages.

Would love to hear about other folks set ups. Pics appreciated - but no nudes plz.
I'm not a competitor at age 68 but I did want to mount a Leupold Mark 4 12-40 x 60 spotting scope (which I'm quite happy with) and a range finder, a Vortex in this case.

There are a couple of options...might want to look at Henderson Precision. Note that the two "wing" extended pieces are not part of the OMP but are added and come from Small Rig.

I went with the MUB from THE MUB (yeah, I know haha). Now, I personally thought 3 ball heads on top of the tripod was a bit too much and wanted to mount the spotting scope direct to the bridge via ARCA clamp and plate and use the large ball head on the tripod to aim the scope...and small ball head to aim the RF. PIA finding right misc hardware to mount the ARCA clamp to the bridge plate. I got it now, but if I were to do it again, I would just buy another inexpensive Sunwayfoto ball head, like what is under the RF, for the scope. Not too expensive but I'm not putting a lot of weight/stress on it and this one worked just fine.

1625155358943.jpeg

I'm not a competitor at age 68 but I did want to mount a Leupold Mark 4 12-40 x 60 spotting scope (which I'm quite happy with) and a range finder, a Vortex in this case.

There are a couple of options...might want to look at Henderson Precision. Note that the two "wing" extended pieces are not part of the OMP but are added and come from Small Rig.

I went with the MUB from THE MUB (yeah, I know haha). Now, I personally thought 3 ball heads on top of the tripod was a bit too much and wanted to mount the spotting scope direct to the bridge via ARCA clamp and plate and use the large ball head on the tripod to aim the scope...and small ball head to aim the RF. PIA finding right misc hardware to mount the ARCA clamp to the bridge plate. I got it now, but if I were to do it again, I would just buy another inexpensive Sunwayfoto ball head, like what is under the RF, for the scope. Not too expensive but I'm not putting a lot of weight/stress on it and this one worked just fine.

View attachment 7659389

They look great. Looks like for bipod use alongside a rangefinder it's better to have a straight rather than angled spotting scope. Otherwise the optimal heights may be different. Is that how you see it too? What are the small rig add ons? Got a link?

Here is a setup I put together. The base rail is a Field Optics Research product I got from Doug @CameralandNY here on the Hide. They are really strong on service with Hide members. It came with the two ARCA style clamps on the ends, I mounted the center using a MPA clamp. Bought plates as needed and added the handle that came with my RT90 tripod to give additional control of Sirui ball head and rail. May add a small rig ball head for the LRF just to make more compact. The scope and LRF can easily be co-witnessed as it is now.

Attachments

• Optics Platform3.jpg
    Optics Platform3.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Optics Platform2.jpg
    Optics Platform2.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Optics Platform1.jpg
    Optics Platform1.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: TheLimey
They look great. Looks like for bipod use alongside a rangefinder it's better to have a straight rather than angled spotting scope. Otherwise the optimal heights may be different. Is that how you see it too? What are the small rig add ons? Got a link?
Well, if you just lower the tripod you can use an angled spotter, if you like.

go to smallrig.com Lots of stuff and not sure what they used. Can also just reach out to Henderson and ask them, right?

I used to have plates like the pic above. But if shooting matches, when you’re walking stage to stage, the tripod with a head that has two or three items gets a bit heavy on the shoulder.

Now, I keep my spotter and laser in my pack. Just put the one I need on at the time. Usually it’s the laser for a few min to verify ranges, then the spotter for rest of the time.

If you’re going to have it setup at the same location for a longer period of time, or absolutely need the laser and glass very quickly available, then a plate is the way to go.

This is my setup right now. Cheap arca rail on Amazon with 2 arca clamps and adapters from Doug at cameraland
image_1323.jpg

Reactions: alcap and TheLimey
This is my home brewed setup. Cheap arca clamps and pan base from Amazon.
3E838EC6-FF74-43A9-AE65-F1BD08044359.jpeg
08B1CC9D-0489-4F4B-8E85-94CC16AFA990.jpeg

I went a little different route. I didnt want to juggle a bunch of gear on rails. As mentioned, its a pain to lug around, among other things. So I found the one piece of gear that did what I needed.

I bought some Steiner Military 10x50R LRF binos. Amazingingly good glass with the same light transmission and twilight factor ratings as the Swarovski 10x50 EL. It has a mil reticle and LRF built in. Its pretty handy.

I used to have plates like the pic above. But if shooting matches, when you’re walking stage to stage, the tripod with a head that has two or three items gets a bit heavy on the shoulder.

Now, I keep my spotter and laser in my pack. Just put the one I need on at the time. Usually it’s the laser for a few min to verify ranges, then the spotter for rest of the time.

If you’re going to have it setup at the same location for a longer period of time, or absolutely need the laser and glass very quickly available, then a plate is the way to go.
Yeah I hear you ... typically fairly static at the match I usually shoot. I can see a heavy set up getting annoying though.

Thanks for all the responses. It helped a lot.

I'm thinking a handle on the main ball head like @Average guy . Then set up kinda like @Baron23: "use the large ball head on the tripod to aim the scope...and small ball head to aim the RF." That makes sense.

Reactions: Baron23
I started off with a spotting scope and LRF side by side on a arca plate but as others have said, it's awkward to carry around, never mind breaking it down to stow in a pack. I ended up building an adapter (basically modified some chicom windage/elevation adjustable flashlight mount cause I couldn't find anything domestically manufactured) to attach on the upper pic rail of my spotter but accept a arca/RRS dovetail so I could clip in my LRF binos that have a RRS Cinch on them. I'd like to redesign/refine it so it sits lower but it works quite well, you can co-zero the reticle on the LRF to the spotter and it holds zero relatively well even when you remove and remount the binos. Plus it all breaks down to fit in my pack and I can use both the spotter or binos individually as well.

7MTAQCV.jpg
mfSbxn3.jpg
16MmVoQ.jpg
5kDaOAN.jpg

Reactions: Snowballs
@dgheriani's post raises a good point ... is there an off-the-shelf mount that would do the same thing?

In other words, a female Pic-rail attachment on the bottom (ideally, with a lever release) that then has a male Arca plate on top?

Seems like many spotting scopes have Pic rail on top, but most of us have switched to using Arca bases for our binos ... would be great to know if there's something available that would allow binos to sit on a spotter easily.

I went a little different route. I didnt want to juggle a bunch of gear on rails. As mentioned, its a pain to lug around, among other things. So I found the one piece of gear that did what I needed.

I bought some Steiner Military 10x50R LRF binos. Amazingingly good glass with the same light transmission and twilight factor ratings as the Swarovski 10x50 EL. It has a mil reticle and LRF built in. Its pretty handy.

How do you like spotting with binos? I noticed my eye/s get uncomfortable/twitchy when I use a spotting scope for long periods. Do you find the 10x is enough if the glass is good enough?

How do you like spotting with binos? I noticed my eye/s get uncomfortable/twitchy when I use a spotting scope for long periods. Do you find the 10x is enough if the glass is good enough?

Binos are far superior to a spotter when it comes to comfort. I even believe the ability to use both eyes instead of one makes them more effective.

I've heard from some other guys that use a 10x bino that they like them better. I would have loved a little more horsepower when I was making my purchase, but they simply don't make reticle/LRF binos in higher magnification.

As it turns out, I love the 10x. You give up a little detail at the target versus 15x, but I love the larger FOV for multiple reasons, such as finding the targets, and for us western shooters, memorizing the landmarks around them so we can find them with the naked eye while shooting. And the glass on these Steiners is definitely alpha quality.

Binos are far superior to a spotter when it comes to comfort. I even believe the ability to use both eyes instead of one makes them more effective.

I've heard from some other guys that use a 10x bino that they like them better. I would have loved a little more horsepower when I was making my purchase, but they simply don't make reticle/LRF binos in higher magnification.

As it turns out, I love the 10x. You give up a little detail at the target versus 15x, but I love the larger FOV for multiple reasons, such as finding the targets, and for us western shooters, memorizing the landmarks around them so we can find them with the naked eye while shooting. And the glass on these Steiners is definitely alpha quality.
I'm coming round to using binos for spotting and range finding. It's tough buying gear I've never actually tried for myself (same issue I have for a lot of gun stuff). When I try my friend's Sig RF Binos (the ones everyone has) they're set up for his ...er... eye issues ...so basically useless for me to get a sense of the quality for myself ...it's a blur. I shoot matches with 12x dialed on my scope... I could probably get by with 10X but like you say a bit more would be good. Looks like Bushnell make 12x RF binos but I've never seen anyone using them.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Exactly, you can mount a device on each side with a ball head, and a bag in the middle, nice platform. Stable as hell.
Who makes the little side plates that your ball head and arca clamp are mounted to?

Reactions: jp67
Same place you get the tray, called LOM/SOM adapters

Last edited:
Reactions: 6.5SH