• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you pick out an optic?

Bridgebuilder34

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2021
CA
For the more experienced people here,What do you take in consideration for when picking out a scope,red dot,prism,lpvo etc. Features,weight,reticle,warranty,brand,where it’s made?

You post what your looking for here

We suggest optics double your price range

Regardless of what you think you need

You buy that optic in MIL

You call everyone else poors

The next guy comes along

You shame him into doing the same

Everything you said like reticle, weight, features, brand, warranty etc come into play. Depending on the shooting discipline. If you want “built to last” stay away from Chinese optics. Hunting vs target vs SHTF have different requirements

Pick a price and zoom range. Pick a reticle and features you like. Narrow down to reliable optics that fit your criteria. If you have $$ then stick to TT/ZCO/NF/S&B and you’ll likely be happy

For myself, reliability and repeatability are king. I’ll give up glass quality for a solid optic. I’ll even sacrifice weight if not needing a specific weight to stay under for a comp gun

I learned my lesson from Vortex on going with the latest and greatest before it was put to the test. For now I’ll play around with those optic types for .22 or other guns just for range stuff. But when I want to count on my rifle for work/hunt/comp or just everyday use I go more towards upper tier proven optics right away. Be that scopes or dots like Aimpoint. For the cheaper stuff that doesn’t really matter a Chinese sig romeo 5 is fine

Last edited:
-Does it adequately fill a gap (need or want, mag range, size, etc) amongst my other optics.
-Is it from a manufacturer I trust.
-Is it a model reviewed by someone whose opinion I trust or owned by someone I know who will let me try it.
-Do I like the reticle.
-Do I like the turrets and features I will interact with.
-Does it have a deal-breaker feature that I already know I'll hate.

If 5 Yes & 1 No, I'll probably find a way to own one at some point.

Reactions: Bridgebuilder34
Be honest with what you can afford. Buy the highest quality you can based off of research from vetted sources.

Make sure it checks the criteria for your intended use.

If you’re new, it kinda sucks, and may lead to some trial and error. You might not know what you need.

You’ll get plenty of opinions if you ask! 😉

1 - Post what scope you’re thinking about buying here

2 - People shit talk your rifle/scope choices, you personally, and your life choices in general

3 - You buy the scope you were already thinking about except now you feel worse about it because it isn’t one of the more expensive options people mentioned here

1) Define and understand the task the optic is to perform.
2) Define success criteria; characteristics and specifications required to perform said task.
3) Define budget.
4) Do research, understand compromises.
5) Shop.

For example, my "forever hunting rifle" got a Schmidt & Bender PMII US 3-20. The used, bargain bin find 22 magnum for < 100 yards night hunting got a Nikon 3-12 and an Amazon green light.

Reactions: Modoc
Glass and coating are what optics are all about. Power ranks second to optics. There are many scopes because there are many ways to use them. I only buy Alpha scopes so I don’t second guess myself. I have had some of my Alpha scopes over twenty years now. No need to upgrade, they’re still top of the line.

being operator af, i try to stick with gear that is military tried and tested.
but then i am one of the poors, so it isn't like i am going to buy a zco or "top tier" optics anyway.
sometimes the military buys things that aren't that bad.
:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jb0311
These two threads are very helpful:

After trying three different scopes, the methodology I have settled on is finding a balance between having enough horizontal MRADs available on the reticle so I don't have to dial under the majority of the wind conditions I think I will face, having enough field of view to spot impacts based on the recoil of my caliber, and having the reticle subtensions be large enough and thick enough and with enough daylight between them so they are old-eye and brain friendly and work in as many environments as possible. Only after I figure out the above, do I then focus on other features of the scope.

-Stan

There are several factors I consider before buying a scope:

Reticle is a factor to consider
Brightness/illumination settings
Reticle size is another key factor
Power source is forth on my list
And, magnification is a big aspect of choosing any scope.
Lastly, my wish on what brand of scope to use, this boils down to personal desire.

I will give my input......if you really want a particular scope, regardless of price buy it now.....because you are going to buy scope after scope until you eventually fill that big black hole in your soul------with that original scope you lusted after.
Best advice on here.

Now is a good time for optics- lots of good choices. Start with defining what you want to do with it. And don’t feel bad about starting with something less expensive that isn’t exactly what you wanted if that’s all you can afford. You can always sell and upgrade. A lot of decent optics hold their value pretty well. Definitely look here for used - good deals can be found.
If you stick with it you will most likely end up down the rabbit hole at some point (like a lot of us) and end up with the high end stuff.