• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How do you prep aluminum for duracoat?

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
XLR is gonna get a coat this weekend. Gonna start prep tomorrow. I have some AAA grade steel wool and acetone. Is this safe for use with aluminum? Can I use the same prep methods? I haven't duracoated this stuff before.

Re: How do you prep aluminum for duracoat?

The anodized base it fine for coatings. All that is needed is to de-grease the chassis thoroughly. Acetone will be fine. Steel wool is not needed unless you were wanting a different texture.

-Kyle ~ XLR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The anodized base it fine for coatings. All that is needed is to de-grease the chassis thoroughly. Acetone will be fine. Steel wool is not needed unless you were wanting a different texture.

-Kyle ~ XLR </div></div>

Thanks, Kyle. I might hit it lightly with the steel wool to get a little more traction but it's pretty good how it is.

Mags and rail came in yesterday, thanks again for the stud, still not sure which I'm gonna use. I'll be calling you about that new folding mechanism this week or next.

I wouldn't use the steel wool. If you want more "traction" then have it lightly blasted. If it has good anodizing on it, just degrease it with acetone and then coat it.

I doubt that steel wool would have any effect on the anodizing - the steel is much softer than aluminum oxide.

If you feel that more "tooth" is required, then you'll want to use some <span style="font-style: italic">high quality</span> sandpaper (read: skip the garnet and go for aluminum oxide or silicon carbide). But as others mentioned, you can probably just degrease the surface and apply the coating directly.

Acetone will work fine as a solvent. Just stay away from the alkaline water-based degreasers (stuff like Castrol SuperClean and other similar products which are often marketed as "biodegradable"), as they can do some evil things to aluminum.

I never use steel wool to prep for Duracoat because it's so sensitive to contaminants. Most steel wool actually contains oil to help keep it from rusting.

Alright well if the consensus is to forego the steel wool then I won't do it. I'll check some local places for AO or silicon carbide otherwise I'll just clean and spray. If I find I really need the traction there are other ways around it. Photos will follow this weekend.

I used Duracoat on the XLR that I had. The anodizing had plenty of tooth to hold the Duracoat without blasting, sanding, or steel wool.

TruckAxle.jpg

Just degrease it and degrease it again and shoot your coating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Duracoat on the XLR that I had. The anodizing had plenty of tooth to hold the Duracoat without blasting, sanding, or steel wool.

TruckAxle.jpg

Just degrease it and degrease it again and shoot your coating. </div></div>

Looks great and functional. Well done.

Ireally like that color scheme, what is a good dry time for duracoat to be chip resistant?

Thanks

Are you going with a straight color or a pattern? Looking forward to seeing it.

Straight Marsh and combat black. Nothing flashy on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xXlojackXx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never use steel wool to prep for Duracoat because it's so sensitive to contaminants. Most steel wool actually contains oil to help keep it from rusting.

xXlojackXx is right, steel wool is not needed and has some oil but if you do use it do your cleaning after. </div></div>

Lotta good info here. I don't suppose you're using the Air Dry version of DuraCote?

^^^ same question, still no direct answer...
The internet is full of the answers you seek. So Is this thread.

ETA: if you are looking for a safe queen then spray it and never use it. It will always look good. If it’s for a gun that will get used and thrown about, follow the degrease advice above and roll. If it shoots who cares if it catches a few scratches?

Last edited: