• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you pronounce DE OPPRESSO LIBER? ANY SF NCO's out there?

mlcasmey

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2011
Minnesota
Any Army SF folks out there that served in a group.

I'm a retired 30 year Army LTC Aviator who on occasion got to work with 5th Group in Germany back in the late 80's some in Desert Storm and
some in OIF. Recently I was chatting about the Army SF guys I new with a friend and the topic came up about your Motto. Since Latin, like English
has short and long vowels that change the pronounciation of a word I was curious about how you guys really pronounce this latin in english. For example
the "E" in DE could be long and pronounced like "they" or short and pronounced like met. And there is an "E" in every word! Can somebody sound this out for me?

I would hate to do you guys a dis-service by saying this wonderful motto wrong.

Thanks.
LTC (RET) Mike Casmey
GARRY OWEN

DEE Oppresso LEEber...De is pronounced just like the letter "D" , Oppresso just like it sounds and Liber with the "i" like a long "e" as in Leeber. At least that's how I, and everybody else, pronounced it. But I could be wrong... I can't ever recall an occasion where I actually said it. If someone pronounced it DAY Oppresso LEEber, I probably wouldn't have noticed. SF was notably different from all other Army units in that the average age of a Team guy was considerably greater than that found in other units. Consequently, there was never any saluting followed by "Airborne!, "All The Way!", "Rangers Lead the Way", or other crap. The closest we ever came to that was a normal speaking voice "Hoo Ah" to denote agreement or understanding...even that was rare and was done more as a joke on those SF who had come from a Ranger Regiment. So I guess I didn't really answer your question...other than that the average SF guy really didn't care how it was pronounced and I doubt an SF guy would ever correct you.

ODA 075 10th SFG(A)

Last edited:
...other than that the average SF guy really didn't care how it was pronounced and I doubt an SF guy would ever correct you.

Yup, pretty much.

Thanks all. Hey Rick. I completely understand the your comments. When Aviation became a branch in the early 80's they tried to out Infantry the infantry. Drove us nuts with all that crap except of course the mandatory "Garry Owen". We just wanted to fly.

7th Cav Gunny Sergeant. Flew All the Cobras in the inventory until they finally retired them. Then got stuck flying Blackhawks till I retired.