• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft how do you PT to stay in shape?

Re: how do you PT to stay in shape?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, as far as diet, this plays a major role.

Carbs should be a healthy form..not potato chips.

After workout protein is best with something like Salmon with a salad or chicken (not fried).

Fish is your best friend on so many levels. </div></div>

fish may not be your best friend....you have to consider the timing of the insulin spike that seafood, and sugar can give you in relation to your carb, and protein intake....

bench

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I will definately change up my routine. I saw a doctor about three months ago. He gave me a clean bill of health. I've been trying to quit the mt dews and to more water. I sometimes drink as many as ten cans a day. My head still tells me I'm 20 not 35.lol Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I will definately change up my routine. I saw a doctor about three months ago. He gave me a clean bill of health. I've been trying to quit the mt dews and to more water. I sometimes drink as many as ten cans a day. My head still tells me I'm 20 not 35.lol Thanks again. </div></div>
PM me if you have any questions.....i have done just about everything there is to do in that field...if you have a question, i probably have an answer...

bench

Lift every other day, 3 times a week, play 3-5 hours of basketball on days not lifting, sunday rest. im 25 yrs old, been doing that since 13. 6% Body fat, 175lbs about 5'11''. Its mostly genetic since my dad was Mr. Texas back in 82 i believe and mom was almost in the olympics in gymnastics. But thats my routine, and i try to stick by it through my already hectic work schedule.... but even work can be like PT at times lol.

I stick with the PT that my platoon does. It's usually lifting on your own at the gym or running (outside when weather permits). We try to play a sport (racquetball, basketball, soccer) about once a week though. In my off-time (what very little I get) I try to do something that involves the family. Either walking/hiking.

Crossfit.....I've been using Crossfit for over 18 months now. We started to incorporate some of the principles seen in Crossfit about my last year in Ranger Bat ;we still had "Ten-Miler Mondays", or what we fondly nicknamed a "detox run" but I began to see the implementation of "smarter" PT rather than all the damn running. Once out, I went back to "traditional" gym workouts....a looked good but after 9 years of marriage I really don't need to impress the wife anymore. I jumped in to Crossfit when a couple guys at my agency began to start it. The claims of overtraining and injuries are accurately TRUE....IF YOU DON'T SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE! When starting out you have to scale back the weight and concentrate on your form, trust me, the weight will come in good time. I'm a true "Kool-Aid" drinker, currently I'm able to hit the advanced level (1071 lbs.) of the Crossfit Total for my body weight, this would have never been possible (for me) with traditional workouts. I am still able to run and it amazes me when the WOD throws out a 10k run out of nowhere, I'm able to do it. I'm very happy at 35 years of age!

I have to eat light before Karate but over-eating is a bad thing and makes me sluggish.

And I always chow down after a good workout.
We did bags last week, this week is sparring and Kata's...

A good 15 minute sparring session after warmups will give you some SERIOUS workout...both mental and physical.

I usually do P90X, then on Monday do a long run 3 to 5 miles, and on Tuesday's do interval training after the P90X. I take Wednesday off the run and repeat the post P90X run on Thursday and Friday. Sometimes I do a longer slow type paced road bike on non-run days just to burn some extra cals as I am trying to lose about 10 pounds. I'm looking to do my intervals up a nearby hill at the nature preserve instead of just on the road.

After a while I do get bored of this type of routine and just do standard gym lifting for a few weeks and then go back to the P90X. Seems to be working pretty well for me.

A motivational video from Arnold, also if you take the time to watch this watch it ALL the end is hilarious.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMjG2s6UOaw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMjG2s6UOaw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Swimming is an a$$-kicker too, particularly if you can get into diving (swimming underwater). I've gotten into bouldering (form of rock climbing), which works great for strength, flexibility, and muscular endurance. Swimming will help with cardio and breath control/lung capacity. P90x can get kind of annoying to listen to after a while but really works.

My favorite workouts are by far the many different types of martial arts, which help flexibility, strength, and balance. All of which can be applied in any other realm of workouts that you find.

As far as "staying in shape" goes, vary your workouts and routines on a weekly basis, and rotate back to them as you see fit. You don't want to run 5 miles a day everyday for six weeks straight, instead you can throw in a jump-rope routine, swimming, or biking for a lower impact cardio workout.

Hope that helps.... bottom line.... GET SOME!

I don't understand the question. We have a bowflex, alot of flat gound and a backstop at work. I run 3 miles(twice ammount of PT test) do whatever montly workout I have set in the bowflex and then 10 sprints up the back stop with push up at the top and situps at the bottom.

I'm active in triathlons so I usually stick the the basics. Swim, bike, run. I've been reassigned to a new unit (not by choice) and the first time I drilled with them they informed me the PT would consist of Zoomba in the gym. I couldn't believe it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One In the Head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm active in triathlons so I usually stick the the basics. Swim, bike, run. I've been reassigned to a new unit (not by choice) and the first time I drilled with them they informed me the PT would consist of Zoomba in the gym. I couldn't believe it. </div></div>

What type of unit if you dont mind me asking? ive never heard of zoomba is it cool??

Cardio or endurance training in the morning to help one of my overweight soldiers, and then a five day weight lifting routine in the evening.

Chest/Back/Legs/Shoulders/Arms/Day off/Day off

Weekly rotation is 4-6 reps, 8-10 reps, 10-12 reps and then start over. We've been on this one for about three months and now we'll be returning to a six day routine at the end of this month.
Back and Bi/Chest and Tri/Legs and Shoulder/Back and Bi/Chest and Tri/Legs and Shoulder/Day off.

I don't really know a lot about the dynamics behind weight training but it's yielded good results over the past year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What type of unit if you dont mind me asking? ive never heard of zoomba is it cool??</div></div>

Search youtube.com for zumba and get a visual.

Ah hell, here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4

The Shakeweight can get you in primed in only 6 minutes. Watch the short video and you'll be amazed at the new ideas that pop into your head.

I also try to dine on 3 cans of sardines (w/ olive oil) each morning before sunrise. I then stomp on them until the metal is paper thin. It helps build muscle in the legs and assists in maintaining balance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do a 10-mile bicycle ride, followed by a trip to the pool where I re-hydrate by doing 12-ounce curls.
</div></div>

Obviously alternating sides! I've found throwing in the occasional 16oz-"Shocks" the muscles for even MORE development!

And what about the <span style="font-weight: bold">ICE</span> type of refreshments...is that a double jolt compared to the regular ones? I don't know because I gave it up in 1985. I'm 51 and try to play basketball a couple time a week, but the last couple years injuries have been popping up more frequently. When getting ready for elk season for a couple years, I'd go on a powehike of sorts daily in the summer...3 miles with a ~80 pound packframe including a pretty good grade that I would do twice. Lost 30 lbs in about 3.5 months, but unfortunately have gotten away from that exercise and have gained it all back. <span style="font-weight: bold"> The pounds certainly come off harder as age increases!</span>

I have been lifting weights on and off since I was about 15. From 15-17 I mostly did high intensity and running workouts to stay in shape for basketball. When I was 18 I decided I wanted to try power lifting and throw in my own cardio program. I have been at the same gym since I was 18, sometimes I workout with a trainer. He is mainly there to spot me and keep my motivated during the heavy weights. About a year ago I was in really bad shape, I was unhappy and at a hard spot in my life. I made up my mind to change. At that time I was about 240 pounds and 30% body fat. Fast forward a year later I am eating healthy, minus coffee, working out 4 times a week and doing cardio almost every day. I do 2 minute intervals on a high inclined treadmill. They are specifically designed for interval training. 2 minutes on it doing long strides at a medium pace. 2 minute rest. If you can do that for 20 minutes, you are in pretty good shape.

Now at a year later Im 230 pounds @ 5'11 with a 10% body fat count. Im maxing my bench at 445 pounds with no Bench Shirt or much help. I only wear baseball gloves when I lift.... its just something I got used to when I was younger. I strongly believe in getting a trainer at first, let them show you a good workout and stick with it till your bored. Then switch it up. When we shoot here on my farm we normally always jog first. Then shoot, then back to a jog. Its good training, especially when you carry your gear.

civilian sniper has a great work out routine, google him, you won't be dissapointed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chappy76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbmlWvnUCfg

Saw this and thought I would post what I found on Youtube.</div></div>

Got me on a fix now... found this one too:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0vZByCNFaE&NR=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0vZByCNFaE&NR=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Damn I get tired just watching that LOL

Looks like the new fangled version of the old tac-sat-com..

Nice radio gear!

I run mostly 4 to 7 miles two or three times a week in the mountains here in Western North Carolina. Sometimes mountain bike for a couple of hours instead of running. Also three sets of push ups/ set ups and pull ups once or twice a week. Use a Total Gym once or twice a week as well. Stretch every day. Rest and recovery is more important at 55 than it was at 25.

This is an interesting topic for me. Partly because I'm not really devoted to peerless personal fitness, and partly because trying to do such things might not be optimal for my situation.

Some of you are aware, some are not, that I've had some medical setbacks. I'm not gonna rehash it, or play any sympathy cards. Sufficeth to say, I approach the issue from a relatively oblique angle.

Cardiovascular capacity is measured as Ejection Fraction, i.e. the percentage of blood the heart ejects/pumps as compared to what it takes in. A healthy human in their prime has an ejection fraction somewhere around 60%. Mine has variously been rated since my 'events' at between 15% and 40%, with the latest rating at around 25%.

So how does this translate into real human performance, Greg Style? Greg does not run. Greg can walk, and given a few weeks of daily practice, can get himself up to well over an hour's worth. Treadmill-wise, my top speed is around 2.8MPH (3mph does not work...) and as METS are figured, my capacity ranges between 1 and 3. I am also mildly diabetic.

On the surface, I can walk into a room, interact with folks for an hour or two, and nothing in my behavior or demeanor will suggest I'm anything but your average 64 year old, slightly wacky, Marine Veteran. I'll sit whenever I can, and at home, my feet are up a lot of the time. My cats think I'm the perfect lap upon which to carry out their daily grooming, and they can get pretty persnickety with each other over whose turn it is at a given moment.

Given the option if someone is being kind to me, I'll stay back when folks go out to set up and retrieve targets. For me, walking the 200yds there and back cannot be achieved without falling behind, and arrival back at the line buys me a five-minute time-out to sit and regain my breath. Fact is, I don't do my daily walks, and this is largely my own fault. But it's real and represents Greg in his more normal state.

So how do I 'exercise'?

Well, I walk when I can. These days I can't, mainly because heat with a higher relative humidity above 75-78 degrees turns me into a gasping noodle. The terrain around here is mostly ill maintained sidewalks, and a lot of anywhere I'd be headed doesn't even have bad sidewalks. If you're me, it makes a significant difference.

I exercise my core muscles lying on my back wth my hands flat across my belly. From a relaxed position, I raise my butt about 4"-6" and stay there until I start to quiver. Elbows are not allowed to help. While doing this, I relax as much of the rest of my bod as I can, and I try to breathe normally. When I'm ready, I sloooowly lower my butt until I am thoroughly relaxed and my breathing has returned to normal.

Then, from the same position, I raise my feet 4"-6" into the air, knees straight, keeping shoulders down and flat, holding until I start to quiver. When I'm ready, I slowly lower the feet until I am thoroughly relaxed and my breathing had returned to normal.

This constitutes one rep. I'll do as many as I'm comfortably able to do, but seldom less than ten.

I do other things as well, mainly stretching and range-of-motion activities designed to relieve muscle stress and stiffness, which is, for instance, the toll I pay to shoot F Class. For example, I shot a Match this past Saturday, and my back still has some stiffness today, Tuesday following. Normal for me, maybe others too.

While this is a low impact approach, it is directly based on the body's own feedback and is specifically related to individual limits and ambition.

It may not seem like much to the ininitiated observer, but it's a genuine, honest workout. I do this in my bed each day before rising. It's a great way to start my day. It makes a noticeable difference in my average physical capabilities.

Greg

10-15 miles a day on the bike , the knees won't let me do the long cross country running that I used to do.
This , along with a stretching program , allows me to hike/backpack/hunt all day long without too many repercussions.

Lately ,with temps up to 115* and lows only down to 90* , it has been "Hydrate or die !" and my Camelback has been my best friend!

week off I go to my backup chic lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">week off I go to my backup chic lol </div></div>
LMAO

I workout everyday (varsity football) to stay in shape, (Im still kinda out of shape though).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">week off I go to my backup chic lol</div></div>

Gotta have a backup.

So I have the option of P90X or Crossfit, Which One? I do not know crap about either one. I already bike to work and back 10 miles round trip 3 times a week and have only very recently started back with wieghts. I am only lifting 3 times a week and trying to do more cardio on two other days. Should I even get into P90X or Crossfit? I am lost and need to get back in shape and not the round one I am in now.

Yes I have changed my diet, no more soda, no more fast food, cutting back on all the fatty food and I am even trying to stop with the beer. The beer part Sucks!

giving up beer? ok man let's not over do it!

p90x infomericals I've seen look pretty convincing see what ya can get it for on ebay. Maybe you can afford both of these programs then.

My wife had been doing P90X for a while and I'd layed off working out for about six months. I told her one day "ok I'll work out with you" I made it through the workout and then went outside and threw up.

It kicked my ass, I like it a lot. I've been going to the gym with my son lately but will get back on the P90X routine shortly. It's a great workout that you can do at home with little amounts of extra hardware.

I used to box for a long time, so just about everyday I'd go and work out with my trainer. The most fun was when we were in the ring though. They used to put me and my brother in there together. =D Bad idea, he was a sissy.

Then I got really sick and had to stop. Since then, I haven't gone back, but it's summer and time to swim!

P90X will work to get you fit. If you need to get into shape to begin with, start with the P90. P90X is more for your muscles, whereas the P90 starts with burning more fat and building endurance. You <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> not keel over after doing P90X if you start out slower, but it basically kicks everyone's butt the first week no matter what. It's intense and gets results.

10 miles on bike burpees,weightd,sex also however it kind of relaxes the abs

Hey, I'll be starting P90X as soon as it gets here - hopefully in the next few days. Any advice on supplements to help recovery, etc? TIA

My wife and I both work and homeschool our kids. That's multiple, so of course you know my favorite PT. One child is still in diapers, so I lug him around 25% of most days while doing normal activities, so that's 20 lbs of isometrics, approx 3 hours per day. Then the typical running and chasing the other kids. Makes my job feel like a breeze by comparison. I do hammer out sets of push-ups, etc. but lemme tell ya, falling asleep is never a problem. I do wonder how PT will transition as they get older...

I used to do the gym and the weights, then I realized that I was in the best shape of my life when I was just doing the daily seven DAILY along with a good run.

I went back to doing that as often as possible and I don't feel like I am destroying my body.

However when we do our once a month team Crossfit killer I am not sucking as bad as some. Our department PT test is cake and I score in the "superior" range. I also don't have a problem doing our team's physical assessment (required every year to stay on the team).

I have had to lay off for a but while I figure out if I jacked up my elbow (still have no idea how), but overall I am in decent "fighting" shape. I am not going to win any bench contests and I am not an underwear model, but I can get from "A to B" and be ready to throw down when I arrive.

You don't have to have the BEST workout. Just make sure it's SOME workout. Once you get past the "creampuff-fatbody" stage, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

I live in the middle of no where by choice, which is ok with me. I have a road out front, and that's all I need. A good run, push ups, sit ups, and some dumb bell work for the arms. I tore the tendons in my right elbow a couple of years ago, and shooting USPSA all summer just beats the shit out of them. After surgery, I started lifting again (pussy weights) to start with, and just kept going from there. I'm 46 now and it hurts a little more each year. Average America wants to look great without the pain. There is no magic pill, program, or diet. If you want to stay in shape, it's gonna' hurt a little (or a lot). As I tell my wife, "The road is right out front".

I tried p90x and completed the course. me myself good but also goofy... its a alternative to running and cycling. some of the moves are silly and seem likes its filler. Here is my crash course. im 210 and benching 250 nothing special. i am more concerned about looking decent and more stamina then going the distance. like i said before still slamin busch beer

Okay here is a proven crash course! All ages works like a charm! If your gonna eat crappy food keep it to a min like only on weekends.

Work out I do every other day

20Min Running, Biking, or Elipitical. (if you have bad knees like myself i do running or biking change up. If you have horrible knees then elipitical machine only)

Cool down for about 5 min

Lateral Pull downs 3 reps of 5 or 10

Tricep Pull downs 3 reps of 5 or 10

dumbell curls 3 reps of 5 or 10

Pullups (if you can do them 2-3 reps of 3

Bench press 3 reps 5 or 10 each

after every rep take a 1-2min break slurp some water.

Results after 2 months 3 times a week only 1 hour a day!

if you can throughout the day snack or eat something so that way
your motabolism is constantly going. like m&m with peanuts or
something kinda healthy. heck even water will help

no need to do crunches running and bicycle are efficent. you already have them you just need to cut the stomach fat to show them.

IMG00022-20100801-1641-1.jpg

Right now, walking, jogging and running. Swimming occasionally, especially if I go in the river about 30 minutes from my house. The current is very strong and is a PITA to swim against, even with a mask, snorkel and fins.

Lifting weights I'm just now starting to do again, I haven't been able to for about 8 months because I got shot in the arm. I'm gaining strength back and my range of motion isn't all there yet, but I'm working on it.
eek.gif

My favorite fitness tool is the humble kettlebell. Even take them on deployments, hand held gym.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of body weight work, both on the ground and suspension stuff with a rope.

Occasionally, I'll go on an overall raw strength kick and do some heavy deadlifts and presses.

For performance (in combat, on the street, general life) I emphasize the anaerobic energy system, strength endurance, raw strength, relative strength, joint mobility and dynamic flexibility. Don't care much about looks (I'm in better shape than I look...but look just fine). Specifically don't want to add a lot of muscle since it is heavy and runs counter to some of the areas of emphasis above.

The problem with most programs (and most practitioners) is they may not specifically be designed for your goals if you have even clearly defined them. So, they are designed for change in body composition and may do a bang up job of that, but you could still be in poor shape for performance with muscle imbalances, over use injuries, poor flexibility, little or no training in the other planes of motion etc.

I absolutely smoked the Men's Health fitness model-looking stud I was partnered with at one of my personal trainer seminars. He was kinda confused ('cause I didn't look like I could be in better shape than him), it was amusing.

Nothing wrong with training solely for looks, just have a clear picture in your head exactly how you want to look, then select the best protocols to achieve that. Don't even get me started on people doing high reps to get "toned"...
crazy.gif

Run 15+ miles a week. Bike 10-20 miles once a week. Ab ripper X twice a week. Hit the gym a couple times a week for fast pace lifting: clean and press superset with weighted pull ups, bench with renegade dumbell rows, etc. Basically push pull supersets. 4 sets of 8-10 reps, with no more than 30 seconds between between sets. I wake up at 4 am usually to get my workout done before the kids are up.

When I started getting serious a year and a half ago, I would run in the park behind the house. Do the .83 mile loop and stop at the work out area to do pull ups, push ups, sit ups, leg lifts. I would do this 3 times, 3 times a week. the advantage of this was it would take me about 30 minutes to get back to the house. I may do this tomorrow morning for old times
smile.gif

I don't feel bad as long as I do something. If I don't have much time, I go out for a quick 3.25 mile run.

If you do the work and mostly eat healthy (what they always tell you), you'll feel and look better.

e930a90b-1.jpg