• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft how do you PT to stay in shape?

Re: how do you PT to stay in shape?

I mainly take long hikes at night when it is cooler. But lately I have been working to develop a new epic sport that I find challenging and entertaining.

I call it "swim-fishing." I put a couple of worms and a stringer in a little Otter box that I can wear on my head under my boonie and then I swim out into the middle of the local resevoir with my fishing rod set up to fish the bottom. On days I want a harder workout, I do not wear my scuba fins.

Yesterday it was nice here and I hooked a nice catfish on about 35 feet of line. Since it was a hard workout day, I had my fins off. When I got the fish to about 15 feet from me he started putting up a fight and towed me quite a distance before I get my hand in his mouth. The entire operation, bringing him to the surface, getting my head above water now and then, getting a stringer through his mouth and getting the hook out while in the water is both strenuous and exciting. Then I tie the stringer around my ankle and keep fishing if I can. Yesterday I had two nice fish and found it too much of a strain to keep them tied to my ankle and fish at the same time so I had to swim to shore and tie the stringer to a tree.

The only caution I would advise is to ensure that your kit is dried when you get home.

Started the p90x to get back in shape. 10 mos later Im still doing it everyday.
Great way to stay in shape.
Also run three times a week, eat healthy, dont drink alcohol or smoke, and spend as much time hiking and kayaking as possible!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 3x per week.</div></div>

This.

Right now I do it by dismounting with a 240B and 1000 round load in my AG bag. When I'm home though, I usually try to ride my bike to work, then go to the gym after work. Basic Army PT doesnt cut it for me. If I was happy meeting the bare minimums, it'd work, but I like to stay ahead of the curve a little bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be depressed to find out some day you don't actually get paid to write anything for entertainment purposes. </div></div>

laugh.gif
+1

Thanks. You have to laugh no matter what you do. We live in a ridiculous age. People will shoot you dead for your ATM card and if someone heard you call them a name beforehand, a good portion of the country might think it was warranted. Ridiculous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZ99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Started the p90x to get back in shape.
Great way to stay in shape.!</div></div>

Ditto that,my wife and I started 9 weeks ago, and shame on me for not following the diet portion to the letter, but I really have gained in the cardio and strength section. In addition to P90X I run several days a week also

When I was younger I had a tree service.Climbing trees keeps you in real good shape.Now that I am older I load ammo,shoot guns,bows,slingshots,hunt coon dogs,and do anything else I want to do.Why worry were all going to die anyway.

All you need to know is crossfit. Takes 20 minutes a day most days and you are spent if you do it correctly. All you have to do is log on and do what it says. Takes the thinking out as well. There must be 100000 different ones on the site.

I try to run as often as I can... I have slacked off lately, and taken on board some crappy habits again but I will get back into it soon...

Running Is my release, but unfortunately I find myself constantly being injured... shins feel like they are about to splint, sore quads etc.

Im thankful that I dont put on weight easily and have a fairly athletic body for my height (not that tall).

Well, winter is over and its now spring here and this thread has motivated me to go fun a 7km run when I get home from work today.

Have a good weekend fellas.

Mainly running, mix in some light lifting, and pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, etc., the standard PT calisthenics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try to run as often as I can... I have slacked off lately, and taken on board some crappy habits again but I will get back into it soon...

Running Is my release, but unfortunately I find myself constantly being injured... shins feel like they are about to splint, sore quads etc.

Im thankful that I dont put on weight easily and have a fairly athletic body for my height (not that tall).

Well, winter is over and its now spring here and this thread has motivated me to go fun a 7km run when I get home from work today.

Have a good weekend fellas. </div></div>

Pose running, brother!!! I was the same way till I learned how to run with a forefoot strike. Now I run wearing the queer looking vibram five fingers, sometimes even barefoot. I feel great, although I usually don't go more than 5 miles. I get my longer endurance workouts with a ruck on.

For strength, I'm into CrossFit. We recently did Military Athlete's 'Operateor Ugly' assessment and me and a CrossFit buddy smoked the Military Athlete dudes. We scaled it for some of the smaller dudes and used 155 pounds, 1 min max reps for bench and front squat, then 185 for 1 min max deadlift. I had 18 bench and 19 front squats, 29 deadlifts. Max strict pullups in 1 min I got 18. I'm 5'10" 175 lbs.

I recently started running Phil Maffetone 'low heart rate' style. I've always been a weak runner compared to my strength. Last PT test I ran a 13:38 2 mile, and last 5 miler for time was in 34:58. The Maffetone training style seems to be helping. My 2 miler hasn't improved much but I can keep a faster pace for a longer period of time.

Fighting Fit by Col. David Ben-Asher

Army helps too I guess
smile.gif

I started out with weights

3-5 sets of 12-18 reps.

Incline/Decline Bench
Curl
Row
Military Press
Tricep Pull Down
Lat Pull
Seated Row

Then I moved to heavier weight

3-5 sets of 7-10 reps
Same Exercises
Starting throwing in some Pull ups too!

Did ab workouts every other day!

Bike rides 3-5 times a week 10 miles each.

Been doing this for about 20 months and just started P90X!

Sweatin my ass off and really working at it.

Don't feel the pump in the muscle like a good hard weight lifting workout but I think it is a better rounded workout with the cardio and all.

Do the bike rides still and lift on occasion.

I think I gonna do Phase 1 of P90X then lift heavy for a few weeks then Phase 2 and lift and so on.

Biggest thing for me! Stop over eating and very little to no sodas anymore!

Good Luck!

beer and curry tonight ! just ordered it !!!

Gym Jones and Crossfit exercise usually, but tailor the workouts to my own needs. Every so often I pull out P90X for variety, actually dig the plyo disc. I got a lot of great exercises off of Mountain Athlete's site as well.

run 2 miles, 50 push up , 100 sit ups or crunches, and jumpng jack for 100 then run back 2 miles, 25 push up , 50 sit ups, 50 jumping jack then you are good to go.
smile.gif

I eat right, drink alcohol sparingly, and play Rugby.

Ran 12 miles after work today, building up to a marathon in November. Need to mix in some more upper body when time allows.

I however eat too much pizza and drink too much beer to look like Superde
smile.gif

Was running and lifitng back before the summer. Gym membership lapsed around the time I got married, we were supah poor so I dropped down to just running for an hour or so three times a week. Quit that for some reason and just recently started riding a bike I found that someone threw away. Want to buy kettlebell or two, those really worked well when I had access to them at the gym. Nothing Like those KB swings to make you realize your lower body endurance aint up to snuff...

But what I have found.... ANYTHING is better than NOTHING. Just be careful and dotn hurt yourself. Quit the soft drinks (sugar in general), and limit the hard ones. Take it slow at the beginning and have a good time. You'll feel better more consistently. It is worth the pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakey yankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a couple old tractor tires from a local farmer. They are not those ga-giant ones, but they work. They are a little easier to flip as well.

One of my favs is flip the tire 50M, pick up the sledge, beat it 25 times and flip the tire back to the start point. Rinse and repeat...

I also use a big ass timber. Don't know the weight of it, but flip it end over end a few times and it will own you.
Log%20flip.jpg
</div></div>

I do this alot (after my 4:30-7:30a.m. workout of eating steel HARDCORE style), carry 200lb+ railroad ties from the back of my truck to the hole puttin in corners and H braces.

here in the woods during the winter- a splitting maul ( somtimes sledge and wedge) to the really knotty pieces of oak and hickory- by product wood that fits in the stove- may be have a competition here see who can bust the fastest- lol you guys get the title i will keep the wood

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">geez... no other strength athletes on here??? </div></div>

I USED to be a 300 pound offensive tackle. Reagan was President.

Now I am a 240 pound lawyer and trainging in Tae Kwon Do.

The Pounding and joint stress gets old.

I still bike, run (ok jog) and do ab work.

BMT

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

The above has become my mantra, and I've I got a shirt that says that as well. Learn it, live it, understand it, make it work for you.

Physical fitness don't get no easier as you get older. I'm on the north side of 50 myself, but I'm still going strong, and the aches and pains seem to increase the older you get. But, I'll never give up until they put me in the ground, and neither should you!

I run. I like a few races thrown into my training schedule during the year just to shake up the regular excercise routine and keep things from getting boring. One or two 1/2 marathon road races each year is about right for me (YMMV, I didn't start until I was in my mid-30's). Also, some gym time with weights when I'm not training for long distance runs. Learn what your own body likes and can handle, as we are not all built the same and we don't all respond to PT the same.

We all need to do a little soul searching, if we haven't already, and ensure we make PT a part of our lives and work it into our life style. Excercise really can help you lead a better and happier life. Remember that we each get only one body to make the trip with. Also, the rewards are not only physical as PT is good for the mind too. And don't forget to set a good example and get the whole family involved! It's all good, now make it happen and enjoy the rewards!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakey yankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're both wrong. Its the light coat of CLP...</div></div>

Sorry to say but you are wrong as well, thats not CLP....hehehehe

Militaryathlete.com, I think its almost the best balance for soldier fitness. My only concern is the lack of distance running. Not that long runs really apply in a combat zone, but its not going to go away in the military so you have to stay on it. When I first started I thought my 3 mile or less was going to suffer because there wasnt much programed running, but I was wrong. My 2 mile time actually improved from the program.

Running or jogging on hard surfaces has never really appealed to me... Just plain hate it!!
BUT I do a lot of orientation runs... (Not quite sure what the english term is)
Basically it is just land navigation with map and compass, finding preplaced posts in the terrain. Great excersice since you are running on uneven ground, lots of up and down, while planning a route, keeping your bearings etc... Having to think and plan while you run adds a whole new dimension to everything...

(BTW, this is my first post here on the forum, I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth... And please bare with the fact that english is not my native language... Thanks!)

Lift heavy, run fast, sleep plenty. Pretty easy really. Every one and a while throw in a distance run (4+ miles).

I need help in the energy department! After working all day (diesel mechanic) then taking care of the kid I just dont have it in me, my diet isnt bad (no soda and no fast food) but I do like to drink a lot. I was running a couple miles a day then got hurt and stopped, I do lack the discipline of a military background but there are a lot of us out there. Basically I need to get my ass in gear, Im 26 6'2" 185lbs and rode bikes my whole life until I got custody of my little girl then I fell off. Im so out of shape I dont want to hike too many hills when Im out hunting lol. What do you guys suggest other than stop being a pussy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cleanmiss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need help in the energy department! .....What do you guys suggest other than stop being a pussy?
</div></div>

Start running those couple of miles a day again...or every other day to start. that'll get things started. You'll be amazed at the energy you'll be getting back. You have to keep at it.

Thanks much the next couple of weeks I'm going to really try to cut back on the booze and then start hitting the eliptical and hopefully get back to the running and pull ups, push ups and sit ups.

Deploy to some douchbag shit hole for a year, every 2 years, you'll never be out of shape. I'm on year 5 and all I have to do is my job to stay trim.

<span style="font-weight: bold">3 season in Las Vegas</span>:

1.WEEK-LONG BACKPACKING TRIPS & training hikes in mountains/treadmill W/ 35 lb. pack 3 days/week
2.BICYCLING
3.WEIGHT TRAINING 2 or 3 days/week (my Bowflex & local gym)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Winter in 'Vegas</span>:

1.ALPINE SKI PATROLLING & recreational skiing (yes, just outside of 'Vegas at 9,000 ft.)
2.BACKCOUNTRY SKIING W/ 20 lb. pack (very demanding at 8,000 ft. to 10,000 ft.)
3.CONTINUE WEIGHT TRAINING 3 days/week

i.e. "He who wears out the most gear wins."

I'll swim for an hour or two 3 or 4 days a week, run 2-3 miles twice a week or so, and lift in the gym 3 days a week.

I'm no super athlete, but I stay trim and fit.

I also cook all my own food whenever possible. I can hardly stomach Mcdonalds anymore...

Tae Kwon Do (Balance and Flexibility, some cardio).

Jump Rope (2,000 overs)

Walk with Pack 2 miles (Pack is 30 pounds).

BMT

I've been around long enough to know what doesn't work for me.

Boring, difficult, and tedious usually doesn't last long so I keep it relatively light and focus on consistency.

Mornings are for a couple hundred sit-ups and push-ups (after bible study) which doesn't take long and gets pretty easy, however doing this daily does pay off.

Mix in pull-ups, dips, gut wheel, etc., then do another daily routine - evening brisk walks with the dog 3-4 miles (while dog chases rabbits. he stays pretty fit too.)finding as many hills as I can. No need to run those hills can get you pumping pretty good. If I ran I probably would quit after a while. If it works I don't fix it.

I also train kick boxing and jiu-jitsu (which I have pretty much most my life) and I seem to be able to keep up with the kids fairly well, even the pros. Oh yeah, this includes jumping rope, etc.

In my case I can't go for maximum results. I have to make it something I can stick to and I gotta make it part of my personality, even if that means I'm not some hulk.

On the negative side I am <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> incredibly strong as I don't train for that. If I need strength I can call my son in law. (He's a big boy and pretty strong.)

With this routine I can usually outpace my son's in law and their friends on the b-ball court. Swish!

edit - Oh yeah, whole foods as much as possible. Not processed and lots of alkaline water.

I don't excersise, I'm in the "Fitness Protection Program".