• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How do you remove a muzzle brake installed with red loctite from a carbon fiber barrel

S.fries

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2020
I have a suppressor brake that was installed with red loctite on a Christensen carbon fiber barrel. How do I remove the brake without damaging the barrel?

Ice the barrel and heat the can............... May take a couple of cycles to melt the Red Loctite.

Hobo

I would stick it in my barrel vise, wrap the carbon at the end of the muzzle with a wet rag and heat the muzzle brake slowly. You'll see the material start to smoke some as it heats up. Most of the brakes either have flats for a wrench or a particulartool to remove them.

Casey

Reactions: S.fries
Most epoxy will start giving you problems around 160-180 deg, so be very careful with that barrel. As stated above heat cold rotuine, heat sink for barrel I would suggest nitrogen BUT worry about the matrix in barrel............good luck the Red Locktite is tough stuff, shout back how it went !

I used a mini propane flame on a brake with red loctite. Put a wet rag on the CF and once it is hot, it will spin off.

heat it up fire or hot water will do the same thing . also heard a soldering iron will heat it up enough to get it loose thought that a rather smart idea but have not tried it yet