• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How do you see your anti-cant/bubble level when shooting in the dark?

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
When in the dark shooting at something far away in the dark...

The big fat 56mm objective allows me to see much better at distance than with the naked eye provided there is some ambient light.

BUT... I can't see my bubble level to see if I'm canting the rifle at all because it's so dark in MY position as a shooter.

I know the Accuracy 1st will accept tritium vials... can you just tape one to the back of a standard bubble scope level?

There is nothing wrong with having a level, but for the most part if it seems like the cross hair is vertical then it is as vertical as it needs to be. I only resorts to the level if I feel there is something that will trick my eye into misjudging true vertical, while that can happen I can not really remember the last time it happened.

When I'm doing load development or something that requires absolutely consistent shots I hang two plumb lines from the target and staple the paper target between them, this provides a visual reference in the same plane as the reticle, which is easier for me than switching focus in shooting position.

You could try one of those small chemical glow sticks. A single color or variety pack from www.orientaltrading.com to try out the colors should only set you back about $6-8 for a dozen of the 4" size.

With proper placement the glow emanating from them should be enough to let you see your scope level in the dark.

This is one way I use a red LED articulating mount attached to my QD DOPE mount; you could just clip it off the left side bill of your ball cap. The LED's come in white,green, blue, red for less than $10. I also use them to illuminate the inside of Pelican cases. I mark the lights with a stripe the color of the LED as in some applications I have several side-by-side for use.

https://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/photon-micro-light-ii-led-keychain-flashlight/

IMG_8391.JPG
IMG_8392.JPG
IMG_8394.JPG
IMG_8395.JPG
IMG_8398.JPG

You could try one of those small chemical glow sticks. A single color or variety pack from www.orientaltrading.com to try out the colors should only set you back about $6-8 for a dozen of the 4" size.

With proper placement the glow emanating from them should be enough to let you see your scope level in the dark.

+1

Have used this in the field, works like a champ without emitting too much light. We used the tiny 1.5" ones. You can tape it to your rifle or gloves or data book and use it to read dope cards, levels, scope settings, range cards, data books, etc. You can also get a small map light like an Inova keychain light. The benefit of the little chemlights is that its constantly on and you can tape them pretty much anywhere.

It's a low cost solution to a situational problem. If you find your self primarily shooting at night, then one of those more permanent setups would probably serve you better.