• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you shoot your rounds when testing seating depth?

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
Im well aware of the Newberry round robin strategy during load development, but does anyone do this for seating depth or does everyone shoot 3-5 rnd groups? Please elaborate on what has worked best for you.

Thanks

I shoot 3 5rd groups , in my experience it has been obvious. if the group is tightening up as seating depth increases.

For seating depth, with most bullets I try to get as close to the lands as possible and call it good. With monometal bullets such as Barnes bullets, I let them jump a bit.

As far as shots in a group goes, I use 3 shot groups. Understand that a 3 shot group is much less statistically powerful than is a 5 shot group so, if you get a real good 3 shot group, don't assume the load is fantastic until you do more testing. On the other hand, if you get a bad 3 shot group, you can probably safely assume that the load isn't that good and can go on to something else.

You can save a lot of ammo by shooting 3 shot groups for testing rather than 5 shot groups.

I do test bunches in groups of 5. Also, I find where I can seat the bullet out to touch the lands(or magwell) and step back 0.010" till I get to 0.050" of the lands (or mag length). I've found most of the right seating depths in that general area.

I seat 'em long, then take a seating die with micrometer-type top in a Lee hand press to the range, experimenting at every 5 thou.

I shot mine round robin. Round robin evens out other factors such as barrel heating and fouling.

As novice, do you use a solid-built rifle rest while developing your loads?

I do. I see a lot of guys who use lead sled type rests for developing loads. I suppose it's alright if you're working up hunting loads and such, but!!! There's nothing to give for that recoil, thus causing the muzzle/Forend to jump off the the front bag. This is just what I have experienced. Myself, I use a Caldwell Rock with an Owl Ear Front Bag and a flat bottom Owl Ear rear bag.