• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you use a tuner in matches?

Sniper King 2020

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2021
WA, USA
youtube.com
Curious how y’all use a tuner. A couple days ago, I used on in a 300 yard BR score match to win the match.
22391B85-301E-498C-9235-77FA70BC026E.jpeg
In the image, the two bullets below in the sighter red were my foulers and I used ammo from the last match that I shot there a few months ago. I used it to get a rough on where I was on the target. I clicked the POI up based on them. Then I shot cluster 1 with fresh ammo. I noted the vertical but wasn’t ready to attribute it to anything. I carefully examined the flags and didn’t see anything that could have created that vertical. I moved the POI down. Then I shot cluster 2 which is close to the bull but still some vertical. This is where I decided to turn the tuner. I turned it one hash mark in. Then I shot cluster 3. Both were in the 10 ring and grouped together. I moved the POI right and then shot cluster 4. I then clicked one more right and one more down before going to the first record target to the left. After that, the shots tended to stay together. This is how I have used a tuner several times after determining that my preloaded ammo is not in tune. This is after conducting load development with the tuner attached and at the setting closest to the action. Once a great load is developed, I then do a “sweep test” to find the tune window. Once I find the window, I set the tuner in the middle of the window. When the tune falls off, I turn one hash towards the action and then shoot the sighter to see if I’m back in tune. Anybody do it this way?

Reactions: ValleyBoy1984
this is similar to how tuner use was originally explained to me by a tuner maker...before everyone started claiming them as the cure for any load, anytime

according to him, you needed a good load already, then you adjust it to fine tune things for small day to day changes...you didnt just adjust the tuner for a setting and that was always your setting

not being a paper shooter, this wasnt particularly beneficial to my applications...shooting shot up steel without always having good feed back on exact impact locations doesnt really give you much to adjust off of, and there are no sighters

this is similar to how tuner use was originally explained to me by a tuner maker...before everyone started claiming them as the cure for any load, anytime

according to him, you needed a good load already, then you adjust it to fine tune things for small day to day changes...you didnt just adjust the tuner for a setting and that was always your setting

not being a paper shooter, this wasnt particularly beneficial to my applications...shooting shot up steel without always having good feed back on exact impact locations doesnt really give you much to adjust off of, and there are no sighters

Didn't you use a shot out 6 Creed to win some club matches with a tuner, LOL?

lol ive got 2 or 3 tuner brakes...ive tried to use them, but they didnt consistently produce repeatable results so they were basically just screwed on and left at the 0 position and used as brakes lol

This comment is the maker of the Ezell tuners…that middle paragraph could explain why, I was never shooting over any flags so all the groups were just similar sized variations within my normal group size range...basically i would have got the same results just shooting that same ammo and same tuner setting over and over

i wish id kept a real record of what all i used to win club matches lol i did some gnarly stuff in the name of curiosity

8E5BFB05-D4D8-4961-91F9-0FDCB3A315E7.png

I shoot 3 shot groups for 2 rotations of the tuner. Go to the middle points of the tightesst groups and shoot 3, 3 shot groups. Whichever groups measure the best, that tuner setting wins. Usually the tuner setting moves very little during the life of the barrel, maybe one to two numbers over as the barrel wears. And shooting a known good load for said rifle means i'm really only tightening up a good shooting load.

I'm breaking out a gas gun for competition whenever it comes in, and that will be the real test of a tuner with factory ammo.

I shoot 3 shot groups for 2 rotations of the tuner. Go to the middle points of the tightesst groups and shoot 3, 3 shot groups. Whichever groups measure the best, that tuner setting wins. Usually the tuner setting moves very little during the life of the barrel, maybe one to two numbers over as the barrel wears. And shooting a known good load for said rifle means i'm really only tightening up a good shooting load.

I'm breaking out a gas gun for competition whenever it comes in, and that will be the real test of a tuner with factory ammo.

gas gun is fun if not reloading...when i shot mine i got tired of chasing brass and it getting beat to hell lol

its really nice when u get setup in a perfect/solid position and manage recoil perfect...and u just keep pulling the trigger and never have to move to run the bolt and reset

make sure to verify how various bag pressure and where the pressure is affects POI...in case it does...i had one that any pressure on the mag well from pushing into a bag, moved the POI substantially...anywhere on the forearm was fine, but i couldnt load into that mag well at all

Reactions: superde