• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how do you use your data book?

Doughty69

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2010
TX, Fort Hood
ive been doing some research on data books because ive never used one and it seems like a great tool to help me improve my shooting, im just wondering how everyone uses their data books, ie. do you plot every shot, or just the first 20 for that day?

Re: how do you use your data book?

I note total rounds by date or group as well as pertinent notes on conditions, loads, distances, scope adjustments, group sizes when testing, observations on techniques that may need further work...basically anything that I could use or will need later to improve my reloading or shooting. I usually keep my chrono notes in an Excel spreadsheet, but will note average FPS in the data book, so I will have it for reference at the range.

Great question and we have the answer for you.

We at Impact Data Books have been filming a video to show you how to use an analyse your data book. We are almost done editing and we will be posting it up real soon.

In the mean time you can download and view the instruction manual on our site www.impactdatabooks.com in left menu there is a file.

I also have a article coming out on this topic in a upcoming magazine as well.

If you need any help drop me a PM or email me at [email protected]

Happy shooting

Nomad thanks for the input, ive been all over your website and ive found a data book that i'll be buying from IMPACT here shortly. ive read through your instructions page a few times, it was extremely helpful. my main question though is: is it completely nessecary to plot and log every shot taken, or just as many as it takes in that day of shooting to find your data to hit dead center in those specific conditions. i understand logging round count every time and cold bore.

Log everything, you are looking for tendencies or patterns in your shooting, the more data you have the better the analysis. Many consider filling in data a pain, but it is a tool for you. The USMC shooting team uses a four color ball point pen to color code input data sets on the same page, makes it easier to study afterwards.

I know Nomad likes to fill his in with a hot pink color pen to match his rifle
laugh.gif

great info thanks for the input, another question is: do you use a data book for your high end rifles only or do you log data when practicing with rimfires also?

This is how I learned too use mine

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMhx7T7UUgQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMhx7T7UUgQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Doug
Our books come with a CDROM with free printable targets that exactly match the Data Book pages. There is also a 21 page user manual on the CD, I can email it to you if interested. The video juice linked is a few years old, we have a lot more info in the books now!

Good luck in your search, either our books or the Impact books will serve you well.

If you are active duty MIL or LEO we have some data book pages not released to the public you may be interested in.

Mark
USMC 86-90
San Diego PD (ret'd)

im thinking about getting a storm tactical and an impact data book, just to see which one works out best for me, there are this both comapnies have to offer that appeal to me, so when i get and use them i'll let everyone know how it all works out. thanks again for all the imput guys, you all have been a great help

I got both, use the Storm for my 308 and Impact for my 260, as much as they are different they are the same,