• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How does a Vortex Viper compare to a NF or Leupold

PLATOONS8

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2009
I am a noob. This is my first scope ever. I just put a 6.5-20x50 vortex viper on a rem 700 sps varmint with a bell and carlson A5 style stock and a harrison bipod. I love my Viper so far. It only cost me 500 dollars and it has a lifetime warranty. I have only looked through a couple other scopes and none of them were high-end. I have noticed that at 20x power the image is not quite as crisp as at 14x. My question is how much am I missing by not having a NF or a Mark 4 scope that cost 1-3000 dollars? I could not by one if I wanted to right now so I am just curious if I have a good bad or ugly scope.

Re: How does a Vortex Viper compare to a NF or Leupold

Thanks for all the input.

There is a reason superior optics cost more than average ones.
Nice starter scope but you can't buy $2000-3500 quality for $500. Ask the Marines.

That is what I am asking. What are the differences in quality?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PLATOONS8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a noob. This is my first scope ever. I just put a 6.5-20x50 vortex viper on a rem 700 sps varmint with a bell and carlson A5 style stock and a harrison bipod. I love my Viper so far. It only cost me 500 dollars and it has a lifetime warranty. I have only looked through a couple other scopes and none of them were high-end. I have noticed that at 20x power the image is not quite as crisp as at 14x. My question is how much am I missing by not having a NF or a Mark 4 scope that cost 1-3000 dollars? I could not by one if I wanted to right now so I am just curious if I have a good bad or ugly scope. </div></div>

Depends on what you plan on doing.. If you are like most people and just range shoot and hunt, then you don't really need a 1500.00 nightforce.. The VV is a damn fine scope for doing just range shooting and hunting. If your life depended on it, then buy an NF or Leupy or USO etc.. Thats MO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PLATOONS8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is what I am asking. What are the differences in quality?</div></div>

Honestly, the lack of responses is probably due to the broad and somewhat silly question. What are the differences in quality between a Kia and a Cadillac?

I'd bet that people will tell you the body is more durable, the glass is better, Nightforce has more reticle options, Nightforce is illuminated, the adjustments are most likely more precise and repeatable on the NXS (but I'm guessing on that one) and the Nightforce has more elevation adjustment.

Sorry for the "silly question" jasonk. I made it very clear I was new to this. LSU, I will be doing exactly that, range shooting and hunting. I just dont't have any other scopes to compare mine too. I will be using my S&W M&P15t with a red dot if my life is ever on the line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PLATOONS8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for the "silly question" jasonk. I made it very clear I was new to this. LSU, I will be doing exactly that, range shooting and hunting. I just dont't have any other scopes to compare mine too. I will be using my S&W M&P15t with a red dot if my life is ever on the line. </div></div>

Then you should be good to go.. Move up to the NF when you start doing the customization thing and shooting a lot..

Maybe silly wasn't the right word, I apologize. The broad term does sum it up a little better, there are lots of differences, some very subtle and some very obvious.

Vortex is a great value for the money, it will suite you well until you feel it's time to upgrade. Until then, I'd suggest you read through some of these so you'll know what features you need and why.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812#Post378812

With the Vortex Viper, there is limited recticle options as well as target knobs. One of the biggest drawbacks in my opinion thus far.

The other is that the windage and elevation is really yet to be proven in the "tactical" environment, or that matter even on the bench environment. I have not seen a review yet if anyone has confirmed if it tracks accurately, and if so its dependability over time.

A SS may be another alternative and in your price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The other is that the windage and elevation is really yet to be proven in the "tactical" environment, or that matter even on the bench environment. I have not seen a review yet if anyone has confirmed if it tracks accurately, and if so its dependability over time. </div></div>

My Viper is a 2-7x32 that I have mounted on a lightweight 338 Win Mag hunting rifle. I've put 120 rounds through the rifle since I put the scope on it without any shift in POI or other problems. Now you've got my wondering, maybe I'll take it out and shoot the box test just out of curiosity...

Metalhead, that would be greatly appreciated. I would love to get that type of feedback. I wanted to get a Vortex as well, but their crossfire red dot was a POS. After that, I gave up on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PLATOONS8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a noob. This is my first scope ever. I just put a 6.5-20x50 vortex viper on a rem 700 sps varmint with a bell and carlson A5 style stock and a harrison bipod. I love my Viper so far. It only cost me 500 dollars and it has a lifetime warranty. I have only looked through a couple other scopes and none of them were high-end. I have noticed that at 20x power the image is not quite as crisp as at 14x. My question is how much am I missing by not having a NF or a Mark 4 scope that cost 1-3000 dollars? I could not by one if I wanted to right now so I am just curious if I have a good bad or ugly scope. </div></div>

My $.02...

As a NOOB, you're starting out with a pretty darn good scope. Congrats on your choice. Don't let anybody bully you into thinking this is a naive or "stupid" question.

I know enough about scopes to be dangerous but I am certainly no optical engineer. I've owner IOR, Zeiss Conquest & Diavari, Kahles CL, various middle & premium end Leupolds, Falcon, Nikon Monarch X, etc., etc. To MY EYES the Viper series is every bit as good or better than any of sub $800 scopes. To do noticeably better than the 6.5x20 50mm Viper I own you are looking at the IOR, Conquest (6.5x20 50mm model), Diavari, NXS, etc but you're not spending the kind of cabbage needed to own one of these scopes. The Viper I have is mounted atop a bone stock Savage Model 11 in 22-250. I rarely go above 16x but I've never had any target that the scope couldn't adequately resolve in order for me to make an informed decision as to target determination, etc. The glass absolutely BLOWS AWAY what I had in the Falcon Menace and standard Nikon Monarch. Optically I think it compares very well with the Monarch X from Nikon and is better than that used in the 4200 & 6500 Bushnell lines. Maybe I just got very lucky and have an exceptional scope from the Viper line, maybe not, but regardless I'd say it is a great value for 98% of the applications used by shooters. If you're a police marksman or sniper in the sandbox then you should go with a scope that went through the military proving process. Other than that, tracking & reliability and QUALITY are more than adequate with the Viper series.

In the end, practice is going to be the great equalizer when it comes to shooting in tactical applications. Learn your rifle, your loads, your dope, and judging wind, and you're going to see that the Viper is more than adequate when it comes to friendly competition. The tracking is spot on and the optical quality is there to overcome all but the worst mirage, etc.
Sure, everybody would love to own a NXS, S&B or USO but you can step up to that level of scope AFTER you've developed the skills necessary to benefit from the optical improvement.

I put the Vortex Viper 6.5-20, mil dot on my 280 ackley. So far I like it. A friend of mine shot a box test with his. He went around twice, bullets cut the same holes. While I do believe you get what you pay for, I think you pay alot for the brand name. This is not a tactical scope, and can not be fairly compared to one. So far, I think this is a great scope for the money.

Re: How does a Vortex Viper compare to a NF or Leu

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The other is that the windage and elevation is really yet to be proven in the "tactical" environment, or that matter even on the bench environment. </div></div>

True, but the guy already said he was gonna be hunting and range shooting, not running through the sand and mud and slamming the rifle on rocks as he prepares to fire life or death shots in combat..

For a first scope a Vortex is very good. One thing that you have to remember is buy and use what makes u happy, not all what u read or people tell you. There are plenty of people that can shoot a laser with a Barska, and there others that cant shoot worth a fuck with a NF. It all about what u like and enjoy. Ask for an opinion on an optic, rifle, or condom and watch the awnsers that will come your way. Platoon, I am a "noob" too, just remember that everyone started as one.

Thank you. I have been reading these forums for a while now and the talk has been 90% leupold, nf, uso, etc so I didn't know if I was shooting with a piece of crap scope or not. I like it, and I don't think north alabama hunting will be to tuff for it. I was just curious if you pay that extra 1-3000 dollars for 10% or 100% more scope.

When you can afford a Schmidt & Bender, then buy one. You will SEE the difference.
$800 rifle, $2200 scope, 1/2 MOA, makes perfect sense to me.....

tikka22250.jpg

I have a Nightforce NXS, a Leupold MK 4, and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20. The Nightforce is the clearest but not by all that much according to my eyes. The Vortex doesn't have exposed knobs but it does have target style knobs and I really like how easy they are to reset to zero. The only complaint I have about the vortex, and it's not really a complaint, is that the reticle is a little too thick for my liking. I really like it better than the Mark 4. I think that Vortex customer service is gonna be top notch as well. So far I think the 500 I spent on the vortex was money well spent! You definately have a good scope and I wouldn't consider it a starter scope, I think its above that level!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Nightforce NXS, a Leupold MK 4, and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20. The Nightforce is the clearest but not by all that much according to my eyes. The Vortex doesn't have exposed knobs but it does have target style knobs and I really like how easy they are to reset to zero. The only complaint I have about the vortex, and it's not really a complaint, is that the reticle is a little too thick for my liking. I really like it better than the Mark 4. I think that Vortex customer service is gonna be top notch as well. So far I think the 500 I spent on the vortex was money well spent! You definately have a good scope and I wouldn't consider it a starter scope, I think its above that level! </div></div>

1+. I have two NF on my AIAWs, Leupy MkIV on the Barrett and the Vortex 6.5-20 on my 243. I must say that I have no complaint about the Vortex. Clear glass. Haven't done the box test yet, but will soon. You can't compare the Vortex to the NF, or the Leupy. It's a good scope for the money. Depending on the range of your shooting, the clearity of the glass on the Vortex is not enough in my eyes to shoot 1000+ yards. JMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RBrady308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ohh yeah be sure to read the whole thread </div></div>
Yeah, read the whole thread and you'll see that the only mention of the Vortex was:

"Am I correct in surmising that this grand test not only accidently omitted the NF line, but also had no Vortex or IORs?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a reason superior optics cost more than average ones.
Nice starter scope but you can't buy $2000-3500 quality for $500. Ask the Marines. </div></div>

OK, I'll bite. What's the story here? I assume the Marines got taken and had to go back to a money scope. Was it by chance this particular scope that was the $500 disappointment?

I use my Nightforce scopes in competition because I know for a fact that one click equals 1/4 inch at 100 yards, and it doesnt matter how many times I turn the turrets, or bang it around.

I use the Vortex for a hunting and range scope. The vortex is a good scope, and it works well, but the reticle options on the Nightforce, and the reliability of the Nightforce cant be had in a $500 scope.

You have a good scope, the scope you have now is much better than what was available to the Military in WWI, WW2, Korea and Vietnam on both sides of the conflict.

Now if you have a couple grand laying around GET a NF.