• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How does badger m2008 stack up against the rest?

KRM427

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
Virginia
I was looking at the badger action. The price seem's pretty good. I know it's hard to compare custom action's when there are so many sweet ones to choose from. The surgeon is usually my first pick. Another question, the action's that defiance machine make for G.A Precision, and LA Precision. Are they much different? I hate having to choose from so many sweet action's.....Any suggestions

Re: How does badger m2008 stack up against the rest?

ok I realized that it's not good to compare them, So how do you guy's like the badger action? And again how does the action's from defiance differ from the "templar" and the La Precision. Both come from defiance just wondering how they differ?

There have been extensive posts made about the M2008 that you should be able to find if you use the search.

But I can tell you that the M2008 action is outstanding. Some pros are that it uses any Remington 700 compatable trigger, it has a 60 degree bolt lift, feeds from AICS or AW mags, has dual recoil lug, can fit into AI stock with minimal mods because it is almost exactly like an AI action, ect. When you look it up you will find out even more about it.
To sum it up, it's built like a tank.

Only two drawbacks to the M2008...

1. Its heavier than any of the Model 700 clones.

2. 60 degree bolt lift in a stock Badger M2008 is noticably heavy. Contour and polish the cocking ramp in your bolt body and keep it clean and lubed, put a Tubb2000 Speed-Lock spring in and its hardly there any more...

The weight was the main drawback when I chose between actions when I was looking. Badger is 1- 1.5 pound heavier than most I think. Pounds equal pain!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contour and polish the cocking ramp in your bolt body </div></div>

That is what I am going to do to mine this week. I'll admit the bolt lift does take some getting used to and is a bit on the heavy side but nothing a little dry firing won't fix. I've got a .260 built on the M2008 in a AICS with a 26" Bartlein MTU barrel and a Premier 5x25 and it weighs out at 16 lbs without a mag. I've found that the heavy action can help balance the rifle out, especially when using a heavy barrel.

I have had a precision rifle buily by a well known gunsmith here on the hide. I gave him a used Rem700 la to blueprint. I was going to buy a Badger or Surgeon action instead. He told me even if you buy a new action such as badger,its still going to need some truing up/blueprinted.

So either way used action or new one there is still going to bd need for some blueprinting.

When all was said and done I got my Rem700 action blueprinted.

I have had rifles built by GAP with both Badger and Surgeon actions. I currently own a Surgeon Scalpel among my various rifles. I really like both actions. I had no problem with bolt lift in my Badger. It was Gen I and did have the updates. I would not hesitate to buy either. Really just your preference based on the stock you want to use and choice of features 60 vs 90 bolt and built in scope rail or not. Can't go wrong with either.

I have several M2008's and they are by far my favorite rifles. They are built like a tank so they are hefty, but lets face it, most precision rifles aren't featherweights. I've never had an issue with the bolt lift, and once you get used to the 60* bolt throw it's a pain to go back to a 90*. Mine are also switch barrels which is nice as every now and then I swap out calibers for different shooting comps or depending on what furry critters I'm trying to dispatch.

Bottom line: you can't go wrong with the M2008.

I've use Surgeons, Stillers, and Badgers. I like them all, but each has there place. I like the Stiller on a general purpose hunting rifle as it is the lightest of the bunch. I've probably used more of them than any other. Surgeons are just a brute. Everything on them is rock solid. I like the short throw on the Badger, but would like to see either a fluted bolt, or just a bit more room between the bolt and the reciever. It is a bit heavier than the others, but like was already mentioned, most of the rifles it is going on were never intended to be featherweights to begin with.

I've got another Badger on order now.

Fluted Badger.
P1030038.jpg

I have multiple M2008's, they are great actions. Mine reside in AICS stocks and GAP does the inletting. I keep hearing this bolt lift "issue" come up, for me it is overblown. They work great.

animalmother85, great looking rifle

Love mine had the bolt and action Ion bond. Bolt lift is not a problem after a few hunred rounds.

A buddy of mine has GAP on the Templer action it was tight too about the same amount of rounds to get it loosened up.

You can't go wrong with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gofaster23</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contour and polish the cocking ramp in your bolt body </div></div>

That is what I am going to do to mine this week. I'll admit the bolt lift does take some getting used to and is a bit on the heavy side but nothing a little dry firing won't fix. I've got a .260 built on the M2008 in a AICS with a 26" Bartlein MTU barrel and a Premier 5x25 and it weighs out at 16 lbs without a mag. I've found that the heavy action can help balance the rifle out, especially when using a heavy barrel. </div></div>

16#s? What stock is it in?

The one thing to keep in mind is that the M2008 requires a little more attention to detail when you bed it. Just make sure you have ample bedding material (I used devcon) spread around. Being that it's a square action, not a round action, the way the material will 'flow'(for lack of a better word) around a round action is much more copacetic(for lack of another better word). It's not really hard to do, but something to pay attention to and keep in mind when you bed it.

Forgot to mention that I had one bolt fluted by Chad Dixon. It really smoothed up then and looks good to boot.

Great rock solid smooth action. Yes, a little heavier, but with a heavy contour barrel for a rifle, weight is not the most important factor but rather precision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgot to mention that I had one bolt fluted by Chad Dixon. It really smoothed up then and looks good to boot.
</div></div>
as did I.

If anybody is interested Ill trade my awsm for 2 complete m2008 rifles.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How has the M2008 been for reliability? I read a lot of stuff about custom rifles being finicky. The M2008 seems sound. </div></div>

It would kind of be pointless to have a tactically based precision rifle that is "finicky", especially when you are spending around a G on the action alone.

To answer your question, mine has always gone bang and is hard to find a load that it doesn't like...but that part I'd contribute to the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anybody is interested Ill trade my awsm for 2 complete m2008 rifles.

Rich </div></div>
Ha, good luck with that. I wouldn't trade mine straight up.

i've been looking at them for a while. talked with the badger guys at shot. great group of guys i wouldn't hesitate.

Always wanted a M2008 on a AI chassis. Wasn't there a thread some time ago talking about the Gen 1 M2008s having sticking problems when a finish was put on the bolt and it was having to be kept readily lubed? I'm assuming that's all been resolved or just don't put a finish like cerakote on it?

Other than that i've always heard positives, i still want one.

http://weww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2410584&page=1

No problems running the bolt on mine (Gen2). My action is cerakoted inside and out and my bolt is NP-3 treated. Bolt lift is a bit stiffer than a longer throw factory rifle but it got sweet after a few hundred cycles. That's to be expected with a short throw bolt. The bolt will run fast and feels solid and precise with no lube and no binding. I am very pleased with mine and have never had a function issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is a realistic cost for an M2008 .308 build? I'm considering either an AICS or Manners folding.</div></div>

The action is right around a grand IIRC. Another grand for the stock if AICS, a little less if manners, 300-350$ barrel, 300+ DBM, 280$ trigger, and finally factor in gunsmithing i'd guess anywhere from 2900-3500$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No problems running the bolt on mine (Gen2). My action is cerakoted inside and out and my bolt is NP-3 treated. Bolt lift is a bit stiffer than a longer throw factory rifle but it got sweet after a few hundred cycles. That's to be expected with a short throw bolt. The bolt will run fast and feels solid and precise with no lube and no binding. I am very pleased with mine and have never had a function issue.</div></div>

Good to hear. I hate the bolt life is a little stiffer than most. Although my sako 85 is much stiffer than my 700s.

Here's a rundown of what my M2008 cost. Build thread is in my sig.

Action = $1000
AICS - $850
Chassis milled - $120
Barreled, other stuff and shipping by Mark @ SAC = $1124

Total - $3094

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a rundown of what my M2008 cost. Build thread is in my sig.

Action = $1000
AICS - $850
Chassis milled - $120
Barreled, other stuff and shipping by Mark @ SAC = $1124

Total - $3094 </div></div>

I'm going to have the same amount into mine...and let me tell you guys. I'll be doing a 300WM or a 338Lapua on a M2008 as soon as the cash is available. The action is that good

The M2008 is my favorite. I started with a Gen 1 and have had no issues. I purchased 2 more and Flounder is buildig a 260 for me now. All positive from me. My cousins runs like a champ, no miss feeds and fully functional as long as he does his part. He has a tendancy to baby his rifle.

The only negative I can think of is your stock options. You can't put one in a Mcmillan HTG stock or A4, at least I'm not aware of. But if you plan to put it in an A5, AICS, MBR, and a few from Manners as well, you should be okay. Also, the other chassis systems will accept the Badger. You will have limitless stock options with a standard Remington configuration action, round action.

As of now, it will not work in a AICS AX chassis. We can only wish. Maybe Marty will figure something out. Fingers crossed.

Anyone ever try to remove a barrel on a m2008 like on an AI?
Can you use the same AI action wrench?

J

I haven't removed my barrel, but yes, a AI wrench will work.

The M2008 is a great action and when using it with an AICS is a good lower cost alternative to the AW.

Does anyone know where to get the M2008 action? I have been looking around and cant seem to find them for sale anywhere.

i guess that would make sense. Is there a wait time for the actions or do they usually ship immediately?

Their is a wait time on everything it seems especailly post Shot Show. It seems my luck every build has one item that runs forever to get

Is the thought to change barrels yourself? If so I would love to hear more as a Badger is my next build and I might have to consider that approach

Has anybody swapped barrels on their M2008 using the AI action wrench? This is a great selling point for me!! not only is it a great action but i can swap my own barrels. all i use for the AI is the action wrench, vise and go/no-go/field gauges.

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their is a wait time on everything it seems especailly post Shot Show. It seems my luck every build has one item that runs forever to get </div></div>

No wait for 338 Lapua bolt face M2008s. I just called Marty 30 minutes ago and bought one. It will ship tomorrow or next week if he can't get it out tomorrow.

I would like to see Badger make a whole production rifle on the M2008 instead of just the actions for builds. Their action is a really good product. They would go alot further with a complete rifle and it would make the other manufactures sweat.