• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How does (for example) 10x power look on the Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18 model compared to the 4.5-27 model?

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Is the reticle thicker at 10x power on the 3-18 because it’s closer to its max magnification? Do you see less of the reticle on 10x in the 3-18x compared to the 4.5-27?

Also, people seem to really like the Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1, but I just can’t picture how 10x power would look on that scope. Wouldn’t the reticle just be so small it’d be almost unusable at 10x? I have a Burris XTR II 4-20x50, and it’s hard to use the reticle until I get to 8x.

1 mil is 1 mil no matter the magnification. so the reticle is going to look the same at 10x on both. that's why we use FFP scopes

I'm not so sure about that. I don't have those particular scopes available to me but here is my thinking.
Both are roughly 6x magnification range.
On the 3-18 model, 10x will be in the middle of the mag range.
On the 4.5-27, 10x will be in the lower third of the range.
Now I can guess that if the same reticle is used they should look petty much the same at 10x however that may only work if they both look the same at minimum power.
It gets foggy for me from there, cause if they both look the same at minimum power the reticle cannot be the same.
Damnit, I just caught my tail again. :mad:

There won't be any difference in the reticle subtensions between the 2 scopes. If you look at the drawings of the reticles on vortex's website they have the same thickness on all dimensions.

There may be a difference in the image due to the 3-18 having a 50mm obj and the 4.5-27 having a 56mm obj. At 10x the the 56mm obj will have a larger exit pupil.

The 3-18 will have larger FOV.

The FOV at 3x on the 3-18 is better the the 4.5-27 on 4.5x.

I went with the 3-18 for this reason. The only top tier scopes with better FOV at the bottom end are the S&B PMII 3-20 and 3-27.

Reactions: FishDr