• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes How does March compare to S&B?

Re: How does March compare to S&B?

Unreconstructed: Yeah, I just sold my PR(ick) scope but I'm going to replace it with a S&B.

BirdmanOZ: There are definitely reasons to hate a scope. I had some older IOR's that I hated. I hated the construction/build quality (felt Eastern Bloc), the "precision" (or lack there of), the finish (came off quite easily), etc. I sold those as quickly as I could and I had to take a loss on them. I decided to give IOR another chance recently after hearing about all the improvements and I bought a current gen IOR. While it's improved from the older IOR's, I don't feel that it's there yet. I also don't feel that it commands the asking price. At this point, I don't plan on ever buying another IOR.

March is a new player and their prices are high for a Japanese made scope (I still don't understand the $650 price delta for lit vs. un-lit reticles...that seems excessively overpriced). Simply put I don't trust them yet. I would need to get behind one at the range. Maybe if I see them on the second hand market either selling for cheap or reselling for close to retail (basically, if I didn't like it, I could resell it for minimal loss), I might consider trying one.

March is not exactly a new player, just in the tactical game. They've made a big name for themselves in the benchrest world.

I also am not sure I understand the stigma of Japanese manufacture. Japan is just as capable of making quality precision instruments as the United States or Germany. There are shitty American manufacturing companies and I am sure there are shitty German manufacturing companies. Why can't there be a top quality Japanese one?

For tactical use, the issues with March scopes are small exit pupil at high power (due to the smallish objective) and a tight eye box - meaning that eye or head position is relatively more important to achieve a good sight picture. (Many people cite Hensoldt has having a generous eye box, this is rather the opposite of that reported for March). Nevertheless, March scopes have a high build quality and have been well thought of for bench rest.