• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How far can you spot 223 bullet trace through a 10x LPVO?

sf135

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2021
Socal
I’m building my first precision AR15 and wanted to become proficient at spotting 223 bullet trace through an 1-10x LPVO.

Could I consistently do this at 600-700 yards in imperfect trace conditions?

Or will the small caliber bullet and lower magnification make spotting it all the way into the target difficult unless conditions are perfect?

It’s tough to spot trace no matter the caliber unless conditions are right, but 223 and lpvo is extremely difficult. I’ve actually never spotted trace with lpvo/223 but you can spot splash which is more reliable.

Unless the conditions are good (high humidity among others?) I would not count on it.

However, with good conditions the lpvo has deeper field of view because of the smaller lens so it is basically able to see the trace clearly at a wider range. This probably does not happen in practice, as you prefer to see the trace out to target and 10x on lpvo might not cut it.

I'd say you'll be lucky if you ever see trace out of a an lpvo. It's hard to spot trace as a shooter anyways, harder with a .223 because the little bullets don't cause near as much disruption as they tear through the air. Trace is best seen with an optic a little bit out of focus anyways, which is something you wouldn't intentionally do while shooting. Impact is far more important than trace anyways. Unless you shoot all the time and watch trace a lot, it will deceive you anyways. You're generally only able to see trace through the middle portion of the bullet flight because it takes a split second to find it, and then generally the bullet drops below the horizon and you can't see the final portion as it descends to the target. So, it doesn't tell you much other than left/right anyways unless atmospheric conditions are absolutely perfect, the range you're shooting at is ideal, (flat, open for a long ways behind it or having very light colored burms like sand, and you're shooting down hill or level). You could probably win the prs world championship and never see trace once. Spotting impacts is what matters.

Reactions: Modoc