• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How Far off optically centered is acceptable?

T.Defense

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2006
WV
www.tacticaldefense.net
I didn't really know how to phrase the subject but here it is....This may seem like an odd question but if you stick a new optically centered Night Force scope right out of the box on a brand new straight from the factory gun how far off center is acceptable at 100yds. Here is a little more background. I purchased a brand new FNAR and put a Zeiss scope on the rifle and it shot over 2 feet to the left, I had to use all of my windage correction just to bring it to center. A quick search revealed FN had some problems with a run of FNAR's so they sent me a call tag and I sent it back to FN. FN said the gun was one of the problem weapons and they replaced it with a brand new one. I just got the new one this week and shot it today. I pulled a brand new Night Force scope out of the box and mounted it with NF rings and gave it a try. It shot 9" to the left. Would this be considered acceptable? I don't want to be afield during windy conditions and run out of adjustment. The gun is grouping very well and feel 500-600yd shots is dueable. Elevation was only off an inch.
Thanks.

Re: How Far off optically centered is acceptable?

Are you saying you took the scope out of the box and mounted it on your weapon without bore sighting it and shot 9" off?

That is what I think he is saying. If it is it doesn’t seem that abnormal.

I'm kinda wondering if he has never mounted a scope on a rifle, which I would guess he has since he works at a tactical defense store, or he just wanted to let us know he just bought a Nightforce scope and a FNAR rifle.

If you can hit paper at 100 yds your probably good to go...just in case you are actually serious.

Thank you for the positive comments. Based on the history I posted and going through the proper mounting procedure last time and having to use all of the windage adjustment to get it bore sighted and the fact FN replaced the weapon I wanted to make sure I didn't get another problem weapon. So after sighting it in I went back to "0" to see how far it was off. Answer was 9". Now my question was is that about normal? Or could there still be an issue with the gun. If the history wasn't there I would have boresighted it and been done, but with the problem I stated, I boresighted which did take up a good bit of windage and then went back to zero to see how far out it actually was and figured I would ask some knowledgeable folks here on the hide which I've been a member 5 years and have gained a lot of knowledge.
I also own the Tactical shop and have for over 13 years, specializing in LE and Military, I'm familiar with scope mounting. Sorry to ask such a trivial question. I think I should have added more info possibly. No worries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is what I think he is saying. If it is it doesn't seem that abnormal. </div></div>

Thanks Tactical Tom, that is all I was wanting to know. When you boresight in a gun, which most of us do, I'm thinking we really have no idea how far off we really are unless we have to adjust a ton of windage to get it right, which is what happened on the first FNAR. So for this one I wanted to see if anyone knew what the norm was or if anyone ever did just shoot one on paper without boresighting to see where they were.
Thanks,
T. Defense

I can say I have bore sited a few rifles and most were off a bit (6-8"). I wont say which one was off the paper by a lot because we have the POF kool-aid police here that will flame me. I used a bunch of my windage and elevation to get it zeroed and it did not feel right. Part of building the gun correctly the 1st time is making sure the rail and barrel are pointing in the same direction. Just like making sure the front sight on an AK is timed at 12 noon.

My last rifle (LMT MWS) was actually almost spot on (new rifle new scope new qd clamp). I think it was off by 2-3 inches low left. I consider this normal.

I would call them or write them and see what they think about being almost a foot off at 100yds. On a 1/4" moa scope that 36 clicks to get zero.

No koolaid police needed on this one, the way POF attaches their rails is my least favorite part of the design and usually eats a lot of available elevation too...

TD-9" off taking a scope out of the box and mounting it is no big deal at all. You'll also find the NF has a lot more avaiable adjustment than the scope you previously had on there.
Not an issue, zero and shoot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can say I have bore sited a few rifles and most were off a bit (6-8"). I wont say which one was off the paper by a lot because we have the POF kool-aid police here that will flame me. I used a bunch of my windage and elevation to get it zeroed and it did not feel right. Part of building the gun correctly the 1st time is making sure the rail and barrel are pointing in the same direction. Just like making sure the front sight on an AK is timed at 12 noon.

My last rifle (LMT MWS) was actually almost spot on (new rifle new scope new qd clamp). I think it was off by 2-3 inches low left. I consider this normal.

I would call them or write them and see what they think about being almost a foot off at 100yds. On a 1/4" moa scope that 36 clicks to get zero. </div></div>

Thanks Problem Child, that was my thoughts. Jered at APA just re-barreled my TRG and that thing with my S&B PMII was nuts on. Taking into consideration that the FNAR came direct from the factory and we had a manager from FN involved in the process I thought things would be pretty much right on or pretty close after the ordeal with the first one but the more I turned that windage turret the more my doubts started to grow. I wanted to see where 9" off fell before I fired Bob an email again.
Thanks again,
T.Defense

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
TD-9" off taking a scope out of the box and mounting it is no big deal at all. You'll also find the NF has a lot more avaiable adjustment than the scope you previously had on there.
Not an issue, zero and shoot! </div></div>

Perfect. All I needed to know. I'm just paranoid and over evaluating after the obvious problem with the first one. Many thanks again.

Regards,
T. Defense

Does NightForce claim that its scopes are optically centered when shipped? Otherwise, how does TD know that "0" windage is really optical center (for example, determined by spinning the scope while looking through it at the same time).

I agree with what soberbiker said.