• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How far off the lands does the 178 Amax

Blackbrush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2011
Somewhere down in TX
like to sit in a 308? I just picked some up and noted the ogive is quite a bit different than the Sierras I've been runnin. Thanks in advance.

Load up some in 0.010" or 0.005" steps from touching the lands to where ever you think is far enough and shoot them OCW round-robin style. That will give you a very good look at what jump your rifle likes best.

Yes, MtnCrk is most likely right with 0.020 +/- 0.005, but possibly not.

OFG

.02-.03 is where I've found the sweet spots. Whenever you have a question about bullets, sometimes calling the manufacturer and listening to their recommendations are a good idea, as well.

Load up some in 0.010" or 0.005" steps from touching the lands to where ever you think is far enough and shoot them OCW round-robin style. That will give you a very good look at what jump your rifle likes best.

Yes, MtnCrk is most likely right with 0.020 +/- 0.005, but possibly not.

OFG

If I seated them that far out Id have to single feed them in my 2 Remingtons, my oal would be 2.920" or so. The bullets i shoot in my two 308s seem to like a long jump, just have to wonder what the OP is shooting.