• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How far off to start

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Well tried the168 bergers in my tikka 7mm at max mag length, no good! Tried 4 powders 3+" groups with all powders too much jump I guess?
So I'm going to try Speer 160 BTSP after some measuring I can reach the lands
And still fit in the mag with this bullet. So I'm assuming start .005 off lands do pessure,
Velocity check there? I've always tested at book OAL,but want to see what I can get out of this rig. So after I find node I'll do a
Another ladder OAL test seated deeper.

I start .010" off the lands. I want all rounds to chamber easily in case there is some variance. I've been known to start bullets up into the lands too.
What powders did you use?
Don't know if you can seat them to mag length or not but the 168 SMK fly really well from my rifle pushed by H4831.

Well I'm looking for a all round hunting bullet. I hear ya about feeding without issue? Thought I heard .15 for load work then .10 .05 to look for any sweet spot.

My misunderstanding, thought you chose the berger for other reasons. I mainly shoot 160g Partitions, Accubond, and failsafe. For canister powder RL19 gives me the best results with the 160s, H4831 and IMR 4350 are pretty good too.

I start close to the lands because that is where I usually find the best accuracy. Sometimes it's back .030-.050", but not too often.

I would start at least .010 off as there are variations in all hunting bullets that could put one in the lands causing a serious pressure spike. Try this too, load your magazine full, shoot all but one and measure it for length. Is it shorter or longer?

I got my tikka last August and used it out west to kill a cow elk at 50 yds. It would not shoot factory ammo very well. My buddy loaded up some 168 hybrids using H4350. I could shoot 3/4" groups consistently with it. They were loaded at mag length. For christmas I got a B&C stock for it. In early March I ran a ladder with it using the 168's and H1000. Used my new redding full length bushing die and gauges. I bumped the shoulder back .002 and had the same neck tension. Nosler brass and cci mag primers.
ugumu9e7.jpg

Test was run at 300 yds with some wind from left to right. I am new at this longer range precision stuff. I have not been able to do any more testing. I will let you know when I do.