• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How good is a Dillon 550 for accuracy drive reloading?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I have a Dillon 550 and a few RCBS single stage Rockchuckers.

I use the 550 for mainly 'bulk' type rounds like 45ACP and 223/5.56 for my carbine where I am the greatest factor in accuracy, not the round. Regardless, everything I've produced through the 550 is prepped and measured just like I do for the bolt gun rounds I put through the single stage rifles and it is very consistent.

I've run into an interesting situation now in that I have a Mk12Mod1 that I want to reload 77gr rounds for. I already grabbed a set of the competition Redding dies and will not be using the Dillon 223/5.56 dies or toolhead I have set up for the 55gr rounds that go in my carbine. My predicament is that I have all of my single stage presses setup and locked in with exactly what I need and don't really want to take dies out, put the 223 dies in, take those out, etc. This leaves me an option of just getting a separate toolhead for the Mk12 on the Dillon since I already have a separate FL sizer, competition seater and factory crimp die for it but my question is how many here load for accuracy on the Dillon with success?

I'm confidant in it seeing as how I can get my 55gr rounds very consistent, but I don't know if I just trust the single stage process more or if this is just in my mind. Anyone have experience with this as far as using the progressive for accuracy driven reloading over a single stage?

You will be fine. If you are concerned you could get the kit from uniquetek that locks the tool heads down as well as one of their CNC machined tool heads that Whidden gun works make for them.

My only problem with loading rifle anything on a progressive is the case prep. I hate loading cases with lube on them because I dont like handling lots of stuff with the lube on my hands and then you end up having to break the whole press down to clean it. So I have 2 tool heads for my 550, one for case prep with the size die and a trimmer motor and then I have my loading tool head.

But as far as the precision is concerned you will be fine.

You will be fine. If you are concerned you could get the kit from uniquetek that locks the tool heads down as well as one of their CNC machined tool heads that Whidden gun works make for them.

My only problem with loading rifle anything on a progressive is the case prep. I hate loading cases with lube on them because I dont like handling lots of stuff with the lube on my hands and then you end up having to break the whole press down to clean it. So I have 2 tool heads for my 550, one for case prep with the size die and a trimmer motor and then I have my loading tool head.

But as far as the precision is concerned you will be fine.

I do the same for the 55gr I load for the 223. I have one toolhead with the FL sizing die in the first station and the trim die/dillon trimmer in the 3rd.

My only issue I can foresee with this is that I'd have to figure a way around this as the sizing die is on the same toolhead as the trimmer, yet I'd use a separate sizing die for the shoulder bump and neck tension bushing on the Mk12 brass. Hmmmm, didn't think about this hump until just now.

Then again, I may not size the 77gr Mk12 brass as often as I do the 55gr as I pretty much run them all through it seeing as how 90% of the brass I have for it is once fired range brass sorted by headstamp whereas the Mk12 brass is all unfired (or fired in only the Mk12) brass; could simply use my LE Wilson trimmer instead of skip the trim toolhead with it.

But thanks for the input, looks like I'll grab a separate toolhead from Dillon for this.

IMO(and I think a lot of other peoples opinions as well) for a semi auto you need to full length size every time to ensure proper function. I dont believe you can get away with just bumping the neck.

I would check out the Whidden CNC tool heads for precision loading if you are going to be buying a tool head anyway. That and the Unique Tek tool head locking setup should take all the slop out of the tool head and give you much more precise ammo. A little more costly than just getting a Dillon tool head, but IMO worth it. They have a pretty in depth description of why their tool head is better.

I still load 55g plinking ammo on my 550b(and soon to be on my 1050), but for all precision stuff I have moved 100% to a Forster Co-Ax. I still do brass prep/trimming on the Dillon though no matter what gun its for.

IMO(and I think a lot of other peoples opinions as well) for a semi auto you need to full length size every time to ensure proper function. I dont believe you can get away with just bumping the neck.

I would check out the Whidden CNC tool heads for precision loading if you are going to be buying a tool head anyway. That and the Unique Tek tool head locking setup should take all the slop out of the tool head and give you much more precise ammo. A little more costly than just getting a Dillon tool head, but IMO worth it. They have a pretty in depth description of why their tool head is better.

I still load 55g plinking ammo on my 550b(and soon to be on my 1050), but for all precision stuff I have moved 100% to a Forster Co-Ax. I still do brass prep/trimming on the Dillon though no matter what gun its for.

The Whidden is a 'drop in' to the Dillon?

And yeah, its all FL sizing dies, I just meant as far as setting the die up specifically for the MK12 brass.

ETA - Just looked at Whidden and wow, this would be quite an improvement on something I've been complaining about forever.

Last edited:
    I have one of the Whidden "modified" tool heads for 300BLK conversion. Its a quality piece. I had to file a tiny bit on one side to get it to fit in my press. I just worked very slowly with a fine metal file. I dont blame Whidden as the Dillon 550 is obviously cast and the dimensions could be off just a tiny bit on every one and you have tolerance stacking and it doesnt fit. This is why Dillon's tool heads have slop so they fit in every machine.

If I wasnt willing to invest in another press strictly for precision loading I would buy the Whidden tool head with the Unique Tek clamp kit.

I guess I also dont get into the whole "size die set for a specific chamber" thing. I size and trim all my brass the same because when I do case prep I never know exactly what gun a piece of brass is going to go into since I will process 1-2k pieces of brass at a time when I get the machine setup for it.

Oh I agree. If its for any of my carbine type 5.56 weapons, I don't care and I set everything up and leave it. I just wanted to load for the MK12 like I would for any of my bolt guns on the single stage yet use the Dillon for this.

If this was a handgun or carbine I shoot with a EOTech/irons or use for dynamic shooting, I would never have thought twice about it and would just give it whatever ammo I had made at the time for that caliber.

Thanks for the heads up on the Whidden stuff, tempted to order quite a few things from them.

Dont look at Unique Tek either then. Or Inline Fabrication either.

If you want one of the Whidden tool heads I would order it through Unique Tek because then you can get it already setup for their tool head clamping kit which you really want the two in combination to really have a rock solid tool head on your press.

My approach to handloading involves the RL550B exclusively, and all my dies are RCBS F/L 2-Die sets or their equivalent.

My .223 dies are set up for my 5.56 AR, and the ammo functions admirably in my two bolt guns where case dimensions are involved, load recipes are tailored for each rifle. For my other calibers, I maintain a separate toolhead for each rifle, with duplicate die sets where needed. I count on the Dillon die head to allow me to do die setup once and leave it alone to ensure consistency. I have literally several thousand once fired 5.56 military cases onhand, and don't expect I will ever need to buy .223/5.56 brass in my expected lifetime, I'm 67. BTW, I do NOT sell brass.

My accuracy handloading philosophy is geared toward a deliberate simplification of the process, with significant diligence toward maintaining a scrupulously consistent technique. I am not getting any younger, and I prefer to employ my shooting efforts at the range, rather than at the loading bench. All but one of my rifles employ SAAMI chambers, with very forgiving tolerances, case spec-wise. Consequently, I am not all that revved up on things like concentricity or ogive-based cartridge seating lengths. I'm sure I'm sacrificing some ultimate accuracy potential, but for what I do, the ammunition's basic accuracy is highly adequate. Honestly, I seriously doubt that the combination of my rifles and my marksmanship are such a great application for the more advanced and demanding handloading practices.

The Uniquetek die head idea intrigues me, and may end up as a home for my Reading .30BR dies, but even that (custom reamed) chamber is set up with a generous neck tolerance which is intended to work as a no-turn chamber.

I've done some research into the principles involved in the Dillon toolhead design, and I am not yet convinced that it contains any real hidden flaws (after going on 30 years reloading experience with this press and toolhead setup). When one examines the operating cycle, the toolhead play is only present at the beginning of the cartridge/die engagement, maybe a little just past cam-over, and at the beginning of the downstroke; and I'm still scratching my head over how this derails any accuracy potential.

Greg

Last edited:
    The old saying....Tis a Poor Carpenter That Blames his Tools.....Any process is controlled by the operator. Consistency is the key. All the special tools in the world do not make up for a solid technique. Sizing the brass on the RCBS Single stage press makes the most sense, and then taking brass to be prepped after case lube removal i.e. case priming, chamfering, deburring, primer pocket detail work, and flash hole work

Returning to you 550 with prepped brass....for priming, powder dispensing, and bullet seating.

Additional consistency is found with a DPM friendly powder.....

I believe this topic was addressed some months ago here, and the OP reported NO improvement using the Whidden/Uniquetek setup. For my sake, I use the Lee Collet neck die followed by a Redding body die for shoulder bumping. Runout is .000 to ,0015 on the completed round. JMHO

So I got the Whidden toolheads in today and while they are obviously very nice and quality pieces they wobble much more in the 550 than the stock Dillon tool-heads do. I understand that these are supposed to be perfectly perpendicular to the shell-plate but they are also supposed to have a tighter tolerance and tighter fit. The hole in the middle that the Dillon tool-holder uses also does not mount onto the holder.

I'm sure it has to do with the varying tolerances on the Dillon, but for me this isn't going to work. Looks like I'm just going to get another regular Dillon tool-head and call it good.

The 550 will make ammo as good as any other press out there.

My 550 makes more consistent ammo than my old co-ax.

My 550 makes very consistent ammo with the powders that work good in the measure. Probably not up to benchrest standards, maybe not even up to co-ax standards, but still pretty good. I think David Tubb used a Dillon to load his match ammo, and his records speak for themselves! Lightman

So I got the Whidden toolheads in today and while they are obviously very nice and quality pieces they wobble much more in the 550 than the stock Dillon tool-heads do. I understand that these are supposed to be perfectly perpendicular to the shell-plate but they are also supposed to have a tighter tolerance and tighter fit. The hole in the middle that the Dillon tool-holder uses also does not mount onto the holder.

I'm sure it has to do with the varying tolerances on the Dillon, but for me this isn't going to work. Looks like I'm just going to get another regular Dillon tool-head and call it good.

Thats disappointing to read. It does not mirror my experience with the CNC'd tool head from them, mine fits very nicely into my press. I guess quality has gone down hill which is a shame.

Have you tried contacting Whidden and see what they say?

I load in bulk with my Dillon 550 for 9mm, 357 mag, 45acp, 44mag. Loaded some 30-06 for my rifle, and through the chronograph 10 rounds had a 28fps extreme spread. So will be loading for my new 300 win mag in the Dillon. +1 for accuracy on the Dillon ;)

I have a Dillon 550 and a few RCBS single stage Rockchuckers.

This leaves me an option of just getting a separate toolhead for the Mk12 on the Dillon since I already have a separate FL sizer, competition seater and factory crimp die for it but my question is how many here load for accuracy on the Dillon with success?

I'm confidant in it seeing as how I can get my 55gr rounds very consistent, but I don't know if I just trust the single stage process more or if this is just in my mind. Anyone have experience with this as far as using the progressive for accuracy driven reloading over a single stage?

I have reloaded the .223 with a Forster Co-Ax and on the Dillon XL 650. I reloaded 77 grains on the Forster and did not see much improvement over the Dillon. I reloaded 5,000 rounds of .223 with an XM193 profile 55 grain bullet on my Dillon. I must say that the Dillon was very precise and the ammunition is probably the most accurate ammunition I have fired out of my AR-15. I think the dies are the biggest determinant for accuracy, then powder measure and so on. The powder thrower with the Dillon was pretty darn good, less than .1 grains using Varget.

I was impressed with my Dillon. It really banged out a lot of accurate ammunition fast.

Thats disappointing to read. It does not mirror my experience with the CNC'd tool head from them, mine fits very nicely into my press. I guess quality has gone down hill which is a shame.

Have you tried contacting Whidden and see what they say?

They got right back to me and said theyd be happy to take them back. Im not faulting them as both of the toolheads they sent have the exact same fit; has to be something with their dimensions vs the variance in the Dillon.

When I tested my 550's measure with varget, I found it to be +/- .4gr extreme spread over 50 runs. Six times the standard deviation (Six sigma analysis) indicated that 99.97% of all throws would be inside of +/- .7gr of the mean.

Sounds like your measure is way, Way, WAY better than mine.

Both are way better than the powder thrower that comes with the co-ax.

And the press is way more versatile...for about the same price.

I final check my Dillon powder measure by simply dropping ten charges in a row, then weighing the combined charge. I do this three times. For charges of 23.5gr and 24.0gr of Varget in a .223 case, the combined charge will bracket the desired sum by less than +/- two grains, and often by less than one. I then tweak the powder bar adjuster screw by just a smidge in the 'right' direction and begin loading. This takes extra time and can get frustrating, but I honestly believe it's a better way, and that it saves time in the long run.

For match loadings I check each load, and adjust if needed. Usually it isn't needed to hit the load right on the number. For non-match applications, I simply forge on and check weigh somewhere around one in ten or twenty. Again, the charges are nearly never off by more than .1gr, and most are right to the tenth grain.

I keep my press electrically grounded to drain off incipient static charges and have noted over time that this helps keep charge weights more uniform (for me). This, and I take care to operate the press stroke and advance the shell plate in as consistent a manner as I can manage; I think that makes a difference as well.

I have also tried disassembling the measure and cleaning it, as well as using anti-static sprays on the powder path, but neither sees to make enough difference to be worth the extra work. Eventually a light film of powder kernel coating accumulates, which appears to help lubricate the powder bar, and is electrically conductive, which would serve the same purpose as an anti-static spray.

Greg

Last edited: