• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alaskashooter

Lead Slinger
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
Alaska
What size groups are considered bad, ok, good, and great? 100 yards center to center, I'm hoping to get thr 6.5 creed owners to chime in here. The reason I ask is I recently loaned my 6.5 to my mother (bad idea) for a bench match and she shot a .154" group, now friends and family are telling me if I continue to build (threading the barrel for a supressor that hasn't showed up) I'm out of the will so to speak. So I guess I'm asking is there a good number of you hitting that ball park too?

This will get very interesting. My personal goals are 6 five shot groups averaging in the .300s w my custom barrels, that's prone w bags. I have so many 3 and 5 shot groups ranging anywhere from .050 to .250 but in my opinion that doesn't mean shit because it is not consistent. Real consistent precision can be repeted several times, if it's not consistent than the best it could be called is accurate. My goal is consistent precision. Anybody and I mean anybody can have a lucky group or maybe 2, but until they lay down several 5 shot groups in a row that are consistent there's no way to not only know if the load is perfect but what kind of shooter they really are. The 100yd challenge is the perfect example.

Right now I consider .814" a good group because that's the best I've done. But like lazer said you have to be able to shoot well consistently. I'm not there yet :)

My best 5 shot group was 0.16 MOA at 100 yards. Nosler brass in 260 Rem over 45.7gr. H4831 with Berger 140gr. VDL bullets at 2870 fps SD 6 fps. DTA SRS A1. Keep practicing and you'll eventually get there.

What size groups are considered bad, ok, good, and great? 100 yards center to center, I'm hoping to get thr 6.5 creed owners to chime in here. The reason I ask is I recently loaned my 6.5 to my mother (bad idea) for a bench match and she shot a .154" group, now friends and family are telling me if I continue to build (threading the barrel for a supressor that hasn't showed up) I'm out of the will so to speak. So I guess I'm asking is there a good number of you hitting that ball park too?

This is just perfect for you, tell her to advance some of the will and you will give her the rifle and start another build for yourself. Advance enough for better scope, stock, barrel, action, can.....

As for the group, when you can hit where you want, when you want, the group will follow.

If that .154 was agg i would not touch a thing. If the other groups in the relays were .4" or bigger then i wouldn't worry about hurting anything by threading it for a can. Most guys on here know very little about BR, other then the negative comments posted on this site by uninformed, br is not like shooting5 groups and then cherrypick the best for score. No, u have a sighter bull and score bull. Once u start putting rds on the score bull the group is what it is. On the interweb it's easy to shoot ten groups and post a pic of the best group and then say " look what my (gap,sac,lri,ai,savage,rem, or dta) did, it's a benchrest rifle". The two best lines from br shoots i've heard is "the bs stops when firing pin drops" and "paper doesn't lie".

Let me throw this out there, shooting 3 shot groups is a complete waste IMO. If you are trying to see how truly accurate a precision rifle is try this, instead of shooting 5 seperate 5 shot groups that will most likely have a different point of impact on the target shoot 25 shots into same group. Works like this you shoot 5, 5 shot strings allowing the rifle to cool in between strings but shoot them at same group. When you are done measure your group and this will give you the best idea of how truly accurate your rifle is because things will change during this test which will take a little time to do, usually about 1hr. This will pick up any flyers, impact shift as well as how the rifle shoots as the barrel fouls. It may also show you impact shift due to light change, temperature changes, changes in barometric pressure and wind conditions as you can read them. If you get lucky and get a calm day, overcast with a constant temperature and barometric pressure then great...if not then you will see how it does the other 99% of the time :) This test does tell you everything though and there is no average or any way to hide the true size of the group, you hang one out there its there and the group size is simply bigger. I got this from a benchrest shooter and was told its how you look for the good barrels, I simply applied it to all rifles and believe it is a true measure of a rifle IMHO

I became a much better shooter when I stopped focusing on individual group size at a given day at the range. Early on, I even dreaded shooting too many groups at a given range session for fear of seeing big group and messing with my confidence in the rifle or my shooting abilities.

Any 3 or 5 shot groups you may shoot are just a string of shots in the statistical data pool that is all slow fire fully supported shots from that rifle. Some groups may be very small, some may be larger than you'd like, but only after shooting a hundred(s) or so rounds can you get an idea of what the rifle is truly capable of, on average - and that's the key, on average.

I am satisfied if, on average, I can get my rifles in the .5 MOAish area. Some times the stats are in my favor and I'll drop 5 in less than .25 MOA, but I don't stay away from the statistical average for long.

It was a five shot group, best of three .172, .154, .169, then my dad used it and his was .184, .201, .179 i took it out the other day n shot .162, .184, .177, .241 (missed a wind change) and .191. All 5 shot groups at 100

Let me throw this out there, shooting 3 shot groups is a complete waste IMO. If you are trying to see how truly accurate a precision rifle is try this, instead of shooting 5 seperate 5 shot groups that will most likely have a different point of impact on the target shoot 25 shots into same group. Works like this you shoot 5, 5 shot strings allowing the rifle to cool in between strings but shoot them at same group. When you are done measure your group and this will give you the best idea of how truly accurate your rifle is because things will change during this test which will take a little time to do, usually about 1hr. This will pick up any flyers, impact shift as well as how the rifle shoots as the barrel fouls. It may also show you impact shift due to light change, temperature changes, changes in barometric pressure and wind conditions as you can read them. If you get lucky and get a calm day, overcast with a constant temperature and barometric pressure then great...if not then you will see how it does the other 99% of the time :) This test does tell you everything though and there is no average or any way to hide the true size of the group, you hang one out there its there and the group size is simply bigger. I got this from a benchrest shooter and was told its how you look for the good barrels, I simply applied it to all rifles and believe it is a true measure of a rifle IMHO
I have to agree that this is most likely the best way to judge your rifle's average accuracy. Never have thought about it this way, but have shot many 10 shot groups. Next time at the range I think I'll try a 25 shot group and see what happens. Thanks!

It was a five shot group, best of three .172, .154, .169, then my dad used it and his was .184, .201, .179 i took it out the other day n shot .162, .184, .177, .241 (missed a wind change) and .191. All 5 shot groups at 100

This is Awesome! That thing would win any bench match I've ever seen the results to....lol. Very Impressive!

This is considered really good with my GA Crusader 6.5 creedmor. However, if it's over 3/8 moa , it's shooting like shit.

Wow, a .183" avg. over 11 groups of five with three shooters. Friggin' fantastic. I wouldn't touch anything. Two questions, how heavy is the rifle and what kind of rest?

Edit for third and fourth questions: What are the rifle's components and who put it together?

Last edited:
The build was done by my dad and I. It's a blueprinted remington 700 with a krieger barrel, tubb taper and a .375 recoil lug 27" barrel. Mcmillan a5 stock and a nightforce 5.5x22 nxs. We all used sand bags. image.jpg

I would build another rifle to the same specs and see if it shoots the same, cause that rifles accuracy and your family are merging very nicely.

Now it's time to stretch it's legs.

Im still lookin for a place to push the limits, i found a spot I can do a mile, but its a 120 mile drive to get there amd when I went there it was blowin like crazy. And I was fallin short.. Prob gonna put anew scope rail on with more moa amd shoot a different load . Right now runnin 140gr bthp and 37 grains of IMR 4350 federal 210 bench primers and im gettin 2660 fps if my memory serves correctly