• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How hard do I have to cry?

Re: How hard do I have to cry?

Get a FFP scope if you want, but I think the point is:
1. Most people who own one don't even know how to do ranging calculations and never use it.
2. You can still do ranging calculations with a SFP scope.
3. You have to pay a LOT more to get a feature that is "nice-to-have" at best. I say "at-best" because many people prefer SFP after they try both.
4. Range-finders....use em. Reticles are a range-finding back-up and you have to practice a bit to get good at it. Very very few have taken the time to master this skill.

I don't understand this obsession with ranging & FFP.

The reason I like FFP is that I can hold-off the target regardless of the magnification setting.

That's the sole advantage in my opinion. But it's awfully nice to have.

If you're engaging small targets, quickly, at "closer" ranges, a FFP really shines. You can simply use the reticle.

And if you're engaging mid-to-far distant targets in any kind of wind, a FFP also shines.

It's just a lot more versatile than SFP.
--

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So, I guess NightForce is guilty of false advertising with their NXS 3.5-15x F1 model, huh? That is their first focal plane model.</div></div> I said <span style="text-decoration: underline">most</span> the F1 has a bit less mag then I would like and it is only one scope. Clearly you didn’t read what I said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You get what you pay for. If you think your $500 Leupold scope is going to compare to Billy Bob's $1800 NightForce because all <span style="font-style: italic">you are paying for is name</span>, you are mistaken.</div></div> I never said anything about Leupold. I can’t justify buying a NF F1 for $2200 when a Primer is only $600 more. On the other hand SIII glass is as good as the NF, and the SIII 10-50 has more zoom and elevation then the comparable NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Furthermore, NF has several scopes at 3.5-15x all the way up to 12-42x so where are you getting the idea that NightForce scopes have mostly 4x zoom? </div></div> 42/12 = 3.5 this scope has less than 4 zoom. I never said anything about magnification.

I'm not going to push you towards anything but I think after reading thread after thread, I've never heard a bad thing said about Nightforce. There is a reason everyone compares to them. Heck, they even compare the uber high-end against them.

My main purpose in buying a "cry once" optic would be that I want it to WORK, and hope I never need any warrenty service. Lots of guys will buy a lower end optic if it has a Lifetime warrenty b/c they are covered if it breaks. Myself.. I'd rather have something I won't need the warrenty for and I know won't break.

Next I'd like some nice glass.. I know I won't get the best.. but if I'm not putting it side/side with Hensoldt I probably couldn't tell.

So I think with the NF you get a great value in a optic with a solid history of durability, good glass and mid-level price. You also have options.. Old ones w/o HST, new one with HST, Zero Stop, FFP. Figure the features you need and add as you want.

This has probably already been said, but don't spend so much that it limits your training dollars. Alot of people were killed with the PU optic.

Try to have enough money left over so that you can actually take it out and train on it as well.

I already gave one plug for the Nightforce line and I' going to give another. I spent this weekend shooting my Nightforce 5.5-22X50 along side my new 6-24X50 PST. For me, the Nightforce is easily worth the price. Nightforce is where I draw the line in terms of how much crying I need to do to get an optic that I can fully depend on.

Yeah, all those features are really not needed. I just sold all my "high end" scopes and just sticking with Counter Snipers from now on. They have better reticles and are made out of unobtainium for a really good price.

These claims that folks with FFP scopes don't know how to use them is really odd.

I think the ones who don't know how to use FFP scopes are the ones making these silly claims.

FFP scopes simplify your shooting experience by removing the need to think about what magnification you are on to make an accurate correction if you miss.
It is a dead give away when ranging is given as THE reason to have a FFP scope. It's not. We have range finders for that.

Not to the OP. If you spend what you are comfortable with and get an optic that performs to your expectations, there is no need for crying. The selection has never been better. You may even end up smiling!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FFP scopes simplify your shooting experience by removing the need to think about what magnification you are on to make an accurate correction if you miss. </div></div>

I wasn't thinking about that because the games I've been playing lately only allow 1 shot per target.

You make a very important point.

It really depends on how much youre going to use it and how important clarity is. If you shoot once a week for fun I dont see why you need a 2000 dollar scope, spend youre money on ammo and maybe another gun. I shoot 2-4 times a month. 600 yards is the most ive ever shot. I use a 10x swfa ss. It works great, no complaints I think it was 350$. The money I saved went toward savings, reloading equipment, and other guns. For the money you spend on a nightforce or US optic scope ect you could get 2 more guns! Id rather have a precision bolt action rifle and a decked out ar15 than just a precision rifle with a scope that cost as much as a used car, but thats just me.