• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How hot can it get before powder degrades?

lovetsx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2009
kentucky
My powder and primers I store in a room with no air conditioning. How hot can it get before they are affected?

I have moved my MRE and home made wine out already. DO I need to get powders out too? 108 outside.

Re: How hot can it get before powder degrades?

FWIW...Mine stays out in my shop year round. In the summer it gets hot as hell inside that metal building. I haven't noticed it causing any changes or issues....

As long as it has the lid screwed tight, I don't think you have a problem. People in Phoenix store powder at that temperature and above, all the time and I have never heard any of them say that their powder spoils, kept in a shed or anywhere lacking air conditioning? If it really was a problem, I think we would have heard about it by now? And, they are dealing with 120 degrees, all summer. (I know, I know/"they" freak out, but their powder is fine) BB

When I was in the service, we began keeping track of the ammo after the temps got to 100. That clock started a special lifecycle on that particular ammo.
100-110 500 hrs then turn in for training use or dismantling
110-120 300 hrs then turn in for training use or dismantling
120-+ 100 hrs before turn in for dismantling

I've had some ammo that lived between 100-110 for 400 hours or so and we used it (9mm ball) and it worked just fine.

I think the special lifecycle is/was just a way to make sure that if there was any degredation, the ammo got cycled out of the system quickly.

I've also shot ammo that was made in 1941, 42,43 and it worked just fine (20mm anti air ammo). This was in 1991...

So tha answer to your question depends on the amount of heat and the amount of time spent at that temp...

Our .50 cal up load in Kuwait in 05 was LC 43.It was hot as hell for a year. I dont know how it was stored before we got it but we fired it all no fail.

A few months back I went up in my attic and brought down a lb of retumbo that had been up there since 2006. Ran thru it pretty quickly in my 7RM and it burned slightly slower than the lots that I have been running lately but there wasn't anymore difference than you would expect to see from two lots of powder manufactured several years apart. I'm in the midlands of SC and I'm sure that during the summers it has to be at least 115 degrees in my attic.

When temps are below freezing, condensation forms on powder cans as temps rise (I’ve seen that). If the same happens to primers, that could be a problem.