• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How hot is to hot?

AtownBcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Aledo, Texas
I shot in a qualifier this weekend. It was about 95 out and as I was shooting I noticed that my rifle (300WM) was getting hot, and it got me to thinking about how hot it would have to get to before you actually did damage to your rifle. Im sure the temp would be about the same for all calibers but some like a 300W would get there quicker than others like a 308. So how hot is to hot?

Re: How hot is to hot?

Usually if I cant touch the barrel close to the shank, I think about stopping. I have melted the drag bag to the barrel a few times and it still shoots great.
I have shot some 40+ shot strings with my 6.5x47L and still sub MOA at 1k after 40-60 rounds in an hour.

Not saying my barrel will last forever but 300WM are not known to last real long anyway. I'd hammer on it and don't worry bout it for "tactical" size targets. Just my .02

How hot do you think burning gunpowder and copper on steel under pressure at 3000 fps is?

Shoot your rifle as fast as you need to. Replace the barrel when required. Barrels are disposable. Worrying about barrel life is like worrying about the tire life on your car.

I slow down when the target is obscured from the mirage coming off my barrel
grin.gif
I agree with the above when the barrel is worn it will let you know. I had the same issue last weekend when I was shooting. It was 95 outside and I was using some really hot rounds that blew a couple of primers out of the pockets. When it was 65 degrees the loads had zero issues.

I imagine if I was in a life threatening situation then I would keep shooting regardless of how hot my barrel was. But to purposely keep shooting when you know your barrel is too hot?? And the barrels are disposable?? So burn em up?? That brings back the old adage that really is true. "Some people have more money than they have sense".

The normal person does not burn up a barrel just because he wants to shoot a few more rounds in a session. Just doesn't make sense, unless you have money to burn.

Take a good look at the reloading section, and pay attention to what powders are temp sensitive. Shooting in the hot sun and 95 degree temps. Will foul things up. So learn from the experience.

Seeing the mirage off the barrel is a good indication that you are running hot, it might be time to slow down a little.

A high grade barrel will do better than a low grade barrel when you are shooting alot. We shoot ten shot strings at our 1,000 yard club. After the fifth or sixth shot in a row you can tell the quality of the barrel by the accuracy at 1,000 yards. When the tenth shot hits in the same area as the first you know you have a good one. And those guys never shoot an 11th shot. Why I wonder?? I know one thing for sure. They do not consider their barrel to be disposable-or a car tire?? Tom.

Depends on the tolerances you want the rifle to hold and how fast you want to kill it. In sniper school they taught us to never fire more than 15 rounds through the gun without cleaning it, but preferrably clean it every five rounds (gives time to cool also). That shit drove me cray. Just when you start having fun, you got to stop and rod it out.

My rule is that if I can't hold onto the barrel for more than 3 or 4 seconds cause it's burning the piss out of me then I'll give it a 15 minute break. Usually I can put about 20-25 rounds through my stock 5R barrel as fast as I care to shoot them (5-8 minutes) Then I want to take a break anyway, this gives the gun time to cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I imagine if I was in a life threatening situation then I would keep shooting regardless of how hot my barrel was. But to purposely keep shooting when you know your barrel is too hot?? And the barrels are disposable?? So burn em up?? That brings back the old adage that really is true. "Some people have more money than they have sense".

The normal person does not burn up a barrel just because he wants to shoot a few more rounds in a session. Just doesn't make sense, unless you have money to burn.

A high grade barrel will do better than a low grade barrel when you are shooting alot. We shoot ten shot strings at our 1,000 yard club. After the fifth or sixth shot in a row you can tell the quality of the barrel by the accuracy at 1,000 yards. When the tenth shot hits in the same area as the first you know you have a good one. And those guys never shoot an 11th shot. Why I wonder?? I know one thing for sure. They do not consider their barrel to be disposable-or a car tire?? Tom.</div></div>

No offense, but anyone who shoots enough to be "good" looks at barrels like brake pads, very disposable. I live on a 1k yd range and have plenty of real world experience shooting 1k and if your barrel acts up after 10 you should dispose of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAT5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I imagine if I was in a life threatening situation then I would keep shooting regardless of how hot my barrel was. But to purposely keep shooting when you know your barrel is too hot?? And the barrels are disposable?? So burn em up?? That brings back the old adage that really is true. "Some people have more money than they have sense".

A high grade barrel will do better than a low grade barrel when you are shooting alot. We shoot ten shot strings at our 1,000 yard club. After the fifth or sixth shot in a row you can tell the quality of the barrel by the accuracy at 1,000 yards. When the tenth shot hits in the same area as the first you know you have a good one. And those guys never shoot an 11th shot. Why I wonder?? I know one thing for sure. They do not consider their barrel to be disposable-or a car tire?? Tom.</div></div>

No offense, but anyone who shoots enough to be "good" looks at barrels like brake pads, very disposable. I live on a 1k yd range and have plenty of real world experience shooting 1k and if your barrel acts up after 10 you should dispose of it.

</div></div>

I guess things really are different in Texas.
grin.gif
grin.gif
Just kidding. Personally I think it is more to the point that they see no need to burn up a perfectly good shooting barrel. I am around a bunch of serious shooters. And none consider their barrel as a brake pad. But then we do not burn up our brake pads on purpose either.
grin.gif
grin.gif
But then you must remember that I am a hillbilly from WV. And ya know we ain't very sophisticated up here. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess things really are different in Texas.
grin.gif
grin.gif
Just kidding. Personally I think it is more to the point that they see no need to burn up a perfectly good shooting barrel. I am around a bunch of serious shooters. And none consider their barrel as a brake pad. But then we do not burn up our brake pads on purpose either.
grin.gif
grin.gif
But then you must remember that I am a hillbilly from WV. And ya know we ain't very sophisticated up here. Tom. </div></div>

You're right brother. Keep shooting the way you do. Your barrel will probably last forever.

I am just a dumb Grunt. What do I know...right?

Typically will shoot 10 round strings and switch rifles and shoot another 10 round string. The only time I shoot more than 10 at a time this time of year is if I am shooting a competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one called you a dumb grunt. Grow up. Tom. </div></div>

It's called "Self-Deprecation" and apparently it was lost on you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This went down hill quick.</div></div>

Haha! I would say so.

GG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one called you a dumb grunt. Grow up. Tom. </div></div>

It's called "Self-Deprecation" and apparently it was lost on you.
</div></div>

Please accept my apology. I just have too much respect for a Marine to ever call him that. My oldest brother was a Marine. So that term hits a real bad nerve with me. Sorry, Tom.

your point is taken, but i wouldnt put a new set of tires on my car and do things to make them wear faster than they would under normal conditions. I agree that if your life was in the balance or you have unlimited funds.... I dont want to baby my barrel but I also dont want to wear it out faster than need be..

I second the don't worry about it opinion, unless you have a full auto 300win mag. Then you should stop when the barrel turns red hot. You won't get a bolt action hot enough to damage anything. If you notice stringing then stop and let it cool if that concerns you.

I don't think we have anything to worry about.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dGAwrmOapb4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dGAwrmOapb4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second the don't worry about it opinion, unless you have a full auto 300win mag. Then you should stop when the barrel turns red hot. You won't get a bolt action hot enough to damage anything. If you notice stringing then stop and let it cool if that concerns you. </div></div>

LOL, I shot out a Schneider 6mm barrel in 1800 rounds with a T2K SpecTacLr in 6XC. I shot it just as fast as I had to in competition. If you are just shooting for fun then yea, stop and let er cool. If the clock is running and there are targets to engage for score, then burn that fucker down!!!!!!LOL

Like the guy above stated, I use the 'hand test'. If I can't hold onto my barrel for more than a few seconds, just forward of the fore end, then it's probably too hot and I should take a smoke break.

Chris

That video is scary. I think the young boy was the only one who understood that the remaining rounds could cook off in the rifle? I am not sure, but maybe he was the only one not drinking and shooting a full auto 308 at night? I guess here in NJ we miss out on a lot of the fun stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That video is scary. I think the young boy was the only one who understood that the remaining rounds could cook off in the rifle? I am not sure, but maybe he was the only one not drinking and shooting a full auto 308 at night? I guess here in NJ we miss out on a lot of the fun stuff. </div></div>

M60 is an open bolt rifle. Hard for rounds to "cook off" when they aren't in the chamber.

We have gotten M16's cherry red before. Sometimes it happens. However on M60's, M249's and M240's you carry a spare barrel and swap them out quickly. Otherwise you can actually send a bullet through the side of the barrel.

I do not ABuse my weapons. Someone's life may depend in it's function. However I don't baby them either. I use the device as it was intended and maintain it as necessary.

I use the tire analogy because every single one of you could extend the life of your tires on your car by driving 10-15mph below the speed limit and staying off the highway on blistering hot days. You won't do it though because you need your car to drive at the speed limit and you need it to get you to where you are going. The price you pay for that is replacing tires now and then.

I need my rifle to get me to where I am going (my accuracy potential). The price I pay is replacing the barrel more often than a weekend target shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typically will shoot 10 round strings and switch rifles and shoot another 10 round string. The only time I shoot more than 10 at a time this time of year is if I am shooting a competition. </div></div>

That's what I ususlly do. switshing from my TRG to my PSS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typically will shoot 10 round strings and switch rifles and shoot another 10 round string. The only time I shoot more than 10 at a time this time of year is if I am shooting a competition. </div></div>
That's what I usually do. Switching between my TRG 22 amd my PSS.

Been reading the posts in this thread with great inerest. I'm not a tactical shooter, and I understand that this is a tactical forum, but I do shoot 1200 to 1600 rounds a year in F class competition at ranges from 300 to 1000 yards.

Most competitions have time limits of some sort or another which don't always allow cool-off time to help with the wear and tear on barrels.

I don't like to refer to barrels as expendable, brake pads or tires, but, like ammunition, they are consumables and will have to be replaced periodically.

Go ahead and order a replacement now, so you'll have it when your round count starts getting up there!

Paul

I had a CO order me to melt two 240 barrells once. That was exciting and a little scary. When the barrell started to droop the bullet ate right through the flash hider and a bit of the barrel before they stopped working. We did get some new ones after that though.

During practice I try to limit to <10rd strings and take a break when the barrel gets hot to hold.

During a match, you gotta do what you gotta do..... last match I ran 20rds in about 3 minutes... barrel got pretty hot.. but what can you do.....