• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How I got the most out of my Hensoldt - How to:

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Long story short, I love my Hensoldt's, I'm not shy about that. Several have mentioned that the no zero stop was a big drawback that they couldn't get past, I personally don't think it's that big of a deal, I'm just a tactical competition shooter...not an "operator" (I used that term for you Forty-One).

Anyways, one of the best features of the Hensoldt (besides the crystal clear glass, wonderful clicks, perfect tracking and of course the Big O inspiring sight picture) is the amount of available elevation. However, to use most of this elevation in the Hensoldt and any other scope, you have to have your zero at the low end of the adjustment giving you plenty of room (clicks available) to dial for more elevation. In my case, I am running Surgeon actions, so I just can't swap my 20moa base for a 30moa or so on. I had to be a little more creative.

My initial zero with a built in 20moa base and 1" high rings left me with 6.8 mils I could go under zero. 6.8 mils is about what it takes my 243 to get to 1k, so I was not using the full potential by far, but with the 243 I still had no issues reaching way past 1k. However, I wanted to see what I could do to get close to having all my elevation available and mitigate the no zero stop "issue" that some have. Doing some quick math I came up with 6.8 mil available under zero was about equal to 24 moa give or take. So, if I could get a 20 moa mount/rings then that would get me really close. I searched around and found Near Manufacturing, Richard Near got rave reviews from his users, everyone spoke highly of his rings, bases, mounts, etc. So I contacted him and he was more than willing to help me out and asked for pictures and details of the current rings so he could make the new ones the way I wanted.

In trying to keep the long story short, he made me a Near Alpha Mount with 20moa built in. This lets me put it on the Surgeon for a combined 40moa and only lets my Hesoldt go about .6 mil under zero (that's 6 clicks for you new guys). This is perfect!! A zero stop at zero leaves no room for small weather changes, different loads for different uses, etc. Now I can actually switch up my ammo a little if desired without taking my scope apart and changing settings, etc. I keep track of my most used ammo, my match ammo, and that's my zero. The other stuff that I rarely use I can just keep notes on and dial down a couple clicks if needed.

There are other mount options out there beside Near Mfg. I'll be trying a Sphur mount soon and maybe a Larue 30moa mount on a POF 308, it doesn't matter what brand you choose really. If you have a standard action that can swap bases around, you can get there too by using the same rings and changing the base. The point is that it is easy to get the most out of your scope and it is worth doing, as much time and money as we've got into it then why wouldn't you?

Here's some pictures of my 20moa Near and the 4-16x56 Hensoldt. Rifle is a Surgeon actioned 260 built by Wnroscoe on a Sentinel stock for those that are wondering.

2z5omlw.jpg

hv9s40.jpg

2i065j5.jpg

Re: How I got the most out of my Hensoldt - How to:

I setup all my rifles the way you have explained. I always look at what the the scopes full MIL adjustment is and split it. Then I account for the scope height and now I have zero stops on all my scopes. I don't have the Hensoldt scope yet but I did buy the Spotter 60 the other day. Based on the quality of the spotter I'm sure I'll have the scope soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bmorgan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have the Hensoldt scope yet but I did buy the Spotter 60 the other day. Based on the quality of the spotter I'm sure I'll have the scope soon.</div></div>

I'd like to get my hands on a Spotter 60. I'll likely own one someday, but I have a feeling it's going to be a 2011 purchase at the earliest.

Jason, Great right up!

This should be required reading and would make a good sticky.

If only we knew a moderator....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If only we knew a moderator....
grin.gif
</div></div>

LOL. Thanks. Now all my sexy Hensoldt pics are copyrighted, don't you be stealing them for the HDC gallery
wink.gif
Ok, maybe you can use just one or two.

I need to get these added. I do love good pictures. The gallery is getting a little out of control!

Along with Tony's binoculars! Did you see that? LOL!

Jason,

Beautiful rifle and nice mount. Ricjard was who I went to for my TRG-22 mounting options. He is a wonderful gentleman and his machining is impeccable. Glad you are enjoying it.

Josh

Great write up jason! I need to write one up on the NH1 when I get some free time.

Cheers,
LS

JK,

Man, after using a Hensoldt recently, and eye fucking Austin's, I'm totally smitten.

I was really trying not to like them since the mildot was their only option, and I'm not crazy about a mildot, but all the nice stuff these scopes have to offer makes me say F it, I'll deal with a mildot.

Austin doesn't know it yet, but he'll be letting me borrow that 3-12 soon.
grin.gif

I'm stating to see what all the hype is about...

wink.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zR_477WqAE4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zR_477WqAE4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I spoke with Mr Near about building me one of these same mounts when I was trying to get a Schmidt 4-16x42 to mount lower and closer to the barrel on an LTR.

He was awesome to talk to and was very willing to help. Seemed like a great guy. In the end, I went another route and just got the same scope with a 50mm objective.

Was nice to talk to a ring/base guy who makes a quality product and was very willing to make a custom mount. Great guy.

Great set up. Just received my Near Mgf. Alpha Mount in 20 MOA in the mail today. I can't wait to mount it on my GAP tomorrow and dial it in.

If you are gonna drop 3k on a scope, you have to drop it in an alphamount. I have 3 alphamounts housing 2 hensoldts and 1 NXS. If the application permits, I refuse to mount a scope in anything else.

I'm thinking of ordering one for my incoming PR Heritage 3-15. I already have a 20MOA rail. Should I get the Alphamount in 20MOA also? It's going on a 308.

Thanks
David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking of ordering one for my incoming PR Heritage 3-15. I already have a 20MOA rail. Should I get the Alphamount in 20MOA also? It's going on a 308.

Thanks
David
</div></div>

No it is not the same, they are doing this to create a pseudo zero stop as well to maximize the elevation used... this is not necessary for all other scopes, particularly the Heritage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking of ordering one for my incoming PR Heritage 3-15. I already have a 20MOA rail. Should I get the Alphamount in 20MOA also? It's going on a 308.

Thanks
David
</div></div>

If you have any questions about your application, call Richard. He knows which mount goes with each scope.

Jason,

I have ordered a Sako TRG 22 in 260 Remington and am considering the Hensoldt. I was thinking about the 3-12. Have you found the 4-16 perfect magnification for your 260? Is the Hensoldt glass and reticle clear and fine enough to shoot to 1000 yards with the mil dot reticle on the 3-12 ffp?

I see that the 3-12 (FFP) has 300cm total elevation adjustment and the 4-16 224cm. Do you think the Spuhr 1 and 3/8 inch mount with 44.4 moa would work with the 3-12 Hensoldt given the increased adjustment and still allow a 100 yard zero. What was your zero (100 yards?) setting up your 4-16 with 40 moa?

I like your idea of having a quasi zero stop by maximizing moa when mounting. $400 is a lot to lose if I guess wrong. I really want to be able to zero at 100 yards as I live on the East Coast and many ranges around here are only 100 yards. However, I have a hunting lease where I can probably shoot to 800-1000 yards.

The Sako 3 ring has 30 moa built in to the mount. Would that be a safer bet than the Spuhr?

Thanks,
Ladd

Not Jason, but I have owned a couple hennys. I would go with the 4-16 over 3-12. 4 is plenty low enough for any bolt gun, I rarely used mine below 6. I mounted mine in 40 moa DTA mounts and had roughly 2 mils left below zero if that helps. You will be very close to the bottom of your adjustment range with the 44.4 MOA mount.

Let's see if I can answer all those questions in order:

I'm a magnification whore, I prefer the 4-16 over the 3-12 because I use the top end a whole lot more than the bottom end.

The glass on the 3-12 and the 4-16 is plenty clear to shoot to 1k, as for the reticle thickness it depends on the size of the target, but you should not have any issues using either for any moa or larger targets at 1k.

Every rifle is different, but with the 3-12 you should be able to get a 100 yard zero with the Spuhr mount.

With my 40moa mount on the 4-16 I was using a 100 yard zero and had about .6 mil left in adjustment.

With a 260 you could likely get to 1,000 yards with a 0 moa mount. If the 30moa mount is easier and cheaper then don't shy away from it. Once you have it you can see how much you have left down at 100 and then decide to buy the Spuhr at that time, sell the Sako mount and only be out a few more bucks.

one revolution of 12 mils is enough to get you to 900m and 14.7 for 1000m. Now granted, this is my personal dope. I am using 175 SMK at 2650fps out of a 20" 1/10 barrel and just a standard 20 moa base and have more than enough adjustment left over. You'll be fine. I personally find zero stops just another option that really isn't needed if you keep track of everything. Some people like them ome don't. I feel neither way about them and could care less if my scopes have one or not. I feel that there are other more important aspects to worry about in a scope than my inability to keep track of my elevation settings

Just as an FYI, there arent to many cases that I have heard of or seen that a Hensoldt has had more than a full turn underneath its zero.

Not saying it doesnt happen, but its very very very rare.

Ladd, it was nice talking to you earlier, if there is ever anything else that we can do for you, just give us a ring.

This is in no way an attack at hensholts or Jason, but,

Isn't it ironic that the one flaw (IMO) that hensolt has, now that Jason has made the pseudo zero stop, makes it just that much better?

Zero stops can be adjusted, which is exactly why they are more useful for multi-load or combination guns. They are so flexible. What happens if you decide to run 120's? You wont get a 100 yard zero I bet. (again, not attacking you/anyone, just calling a spade a spade).

Im being really honest here, but in my opinion, with a zero stop, Hensoldt would sell more than double what they are selling now.

Flame me or whatever, but I believe its true
smile.gif

Chris

Chris,

I shot the 120s,139s, and 140s out of my 260. It had a 20 MOA base and an 28 MOA AI mount, never had a problem. Again, i have yet to hear about or see a Hensoldt that has had more than 1 FULL turn under the zero of the rifle. There really isnt a need for one to be honest.

Like it has been said here, Zero Stop is the new hot word. Its a buzz word that most think they HAVE to have that feature. Ive shot at night with my 3-12s from 7yds out to 800 and have yet to go away from my zero. If you set the mounting solution up right you will have no problems.

It's got two turns on the blessed thing - why would you need a zero stop? There are even numbers and different colors to tell you exactly where you are.

Jason's idea, nifty as is it, isn't a necessary one. As long as the remaining elevation on the scope is enough to get you to the extremes of the effective distance of the bullet does it matter whether it's at the very bottom of the elevation movement? Not really. So therefore, even without Jason's 'fix' or the sacred zero-stop, you still have a very versatile scope that will accommodate any changes in bullet weight and resulting zero-settings.

Going almost to the bottom of the elevation adjustment to create a pseudo-zero stop also means that for a very large percentage of shots (up to 400 yds) you'll be using the scope with the erector adjusted very near its limit. Theoretically the best picture is with the erector aligned in the optical axis, not at this position. With a great scope like the Hensoldt I'm sure this effect is minimized, but it is something to consider if you shoot at close or mid range often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going almost to the bottom of the elevation adjustment to create a pseudo-zero stop also means that for a very large percentage of shots (up to 400 yds) you'll be using the scope with the erector adjusted very near its limit. Theoretically the best picture is with the erector aligned in the optical axis, not at this position. With a great scope like the Hensoldt I'm sure this effect is minimized, but it is something to consider if you shoot at close or mid range often. </div></div>

Could you expand on this please? Does optical axis mean the same as mechanical zero - in the middle of the elevation range?

It is true that scopes tend to have best clarity at the center of their elevation travel. If you put on a canted base and this puts your 100 yard zero at the limit, then your 100 yard view MAY not be quite as good as if it were in the middle. But... your 1000 yard view, if it ends up in the middle, is the best it can be. And you NEED the best optics at long distance, so...

In reality I doubt any of us can tell much difference. Almost all scopes have optics good enough to be clear enough to see the target clearly. That is what is needed.

Hensoldt's seem to have 15 mils of travel which is 52 moa. Put a 25moa base on and you have a "poor man's zero stop".

I consider a zero stop a really good idea. Only thing better would be a single turn turret (ala USO). Both are safety devices also. Get off a turn and you will be inadvertently lauching bullets over your berm. Ouch!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hensoldt's seem to have 15 mils of travel which is 52 moa. Put a 25moa base on and you have a "poor man's zero stop". </div></div>
Hensoldts have way more than 15 mils of elevation. I don't have one on front of me but it is close to 24 mils. I ran mine on a 40 MOA mount and had a couple mils below my zero.

The main line Hensoldts

3-12x56 FFP has roughly 28 mils
4-16x56 FFp has 24.2

Thats very adequate to get to 1K on most guns with a 20 MOA base. You wont have more than a full turn underneath either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is in no way an attack at hensholts or Jason, but,

Isn't it ironic that the one flaw (IMO) that hensolt has, now that Jason has made the pseudo zero stop, makes it just that much better?

Zero stops can be adjusted, which is exactly why they are more useful for multi-load or combination guns. They are so flexible. What happens if you decide to run 120's? You wont get a 100 yard zero I bet. (again, not attacking you/anyone, just calling a spade a spade).

Im being really honest here, but in my opinion, with a zero stop, Hensoldt would sell more than double what they are selling now.

Flame me or whatever, but I believe its true
smile.gif

Chris</div></div>

No flame taken.

I didn't try to necessarily fix the zero stop "issue" cause I didn't think it really had one. I just wanted to maximize my available elevation and play with the possibilities.

As for selling twice as many, I really doubt it would make that big of a difference. It seems that a lot of the guys stating that if it had this feature or that feature or CCW vs CW knobs...etc etc etc...are just talking on the internet. Even if you told them that exact scope that they dreamed up was available at a dealer right this very second I'm guessing they'd leave their wallet in their pocket and come up with some new reason why they aren't buying 10 of them.

Kind of like a:

CCW 4-16
or a Hash mark reticle (4-16x56 NH1)
or a Horus Reticle (4-16x56 H37)

just to name a couple....people talk about everything, "I would buy it if it just had this" well when you present "THAT" it seems people shy away from it again.

Are you talking total travel?

In this case, here is a short list:

3-12 has 40 mils

3-12FF has 30 mils

4-16 has 30 mils

4-16FF has 22.4 mils

I am going to speak from ignoreance here but what is the deal with zero stops? When I move my elevatio I just look? I am not trying to be a smart a I really do not know. I can look and see I am one or two revs again I just look and turn back the the number 0

Ah, yes the spec said +-15, I took that as 15 total. 30 mils, that is over 100 moa. Hmm, sort of makes the poor man's zero stop more difficult though. You'd need a 50moa base. Yikes, that is a lot of moa for a base. Never even heard of one.

Anyway, Hensoldt. Great glass, nice compact looking scope, lots of elevation adjustment, lots of bucks, 12 (42 moa) PER TURN. You'd never get past one turn! 20 moa base is the way to go, I'd say. With that many mils per turn, you hardly need a zero stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of like a:

CCW 4-16

just to name a couple....people talk about everything, "I would buy it if it just had this" well when you present "THAT" it seems people shy away from it again. </div></div>

I would buy a 24x if....it....just.....had......FFP.........

lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of like a:

CCW 4-16

just to name a couple....people talk about everything, "I would buy it if it just had this" well when you present "THAT" it seems people shy away from it again. </div></div>

HDC-Deadly,

I think part of the reason why folks end up not purchasing the "THAT" Hensoldt scope is a "timing" issue not to mention the extra money for the Horus and NH1 reticle.

For instance a friend of mine is a Hensoldt dealer.I wanted one bad at the time but CCW wasn't available then and no other reticle but mildot.So I bought another brand scope.Then as time passed I wanted a Hensoldt again but with the Horus reticle and CCW.I had him call up HDC and the combo wasn't available together then either.So I bought another brand scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With that many mils per turn, you hardly need a zero stop. </div></div>

EXACTLY!!

Thanks for sharing Jason!
The principle at hand will work with any scope as well, not just a Hensoldt.

<span style="font-size: 8pt">I was gonna make a comment about a $325 fix to get the most out of a $3500 scope, but most know that if you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it anyway
laugh.gif
</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-size: 8pt">I was gonna make a comment about a $325 fix to get the most out of a $3500 scope, but most know that if you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it anyway
laugh.gif
</span>
</div></div>

This is actually a valid and fair observation. The only thing I'd add is that 'getting the most' out of the scope is a subjective thing. As long as I'm getting <span style="font-weight: bold">that</span> sight picture and optical quality to cover the effective range of my round and it's all supported by 100% reliable tracking then I consider myself getting the most out of the scope.

The CCW knobs and zero stop things are just preferences. I prefer them, but they aren't deal-breakers. When the Hensoldt hit the scene and I checked them out, the only thing that kept me from buying one was not having a reticle I really liked (which is quite high on my list of preferences for a scope). Then, the NH1 came. I'm now a happy Hensoldt owner.

Like, I said, I prefer a number of things, but most of them aren't deal-breakers and I'm sure for most other buyers it's the same. BTW, I'm using mine with a 30 MOA mount and I haven't notice any detrimental effect on the optical quality or the scope's ability to track accurately and consistently.

CCW 4-16

just to name a couple....people talk about everything, "I would buy it if it just had this" well when you present "THAT" it seems people shy away from it again.</div></div>

Maybe. I guess that's one way of looking at it.

I suppose that when a shooter knows what they want, they are prepared to wait for it, and pay for it.

It would take more than a zero stop for me to buy one, it just doesn't suit my needs as is, price is not an issue for me, and for most people buying over 2.5k optics I think.

Still a good write up on how to make the most of the optic, I think it is a very versatile set up for targets and rangework, but its just not my cup of tea.

I envy the glass, but the features dont fit
frown.gif

Chris