• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How important is brass length for accuracy?

Shocktroop0351

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2008
SE Montana
I just got finished prepping some twice fired .308 brass and after trimming and chamfering and deburring I measured my cases from the base to the end of the neck and they varied from 2.008" to 2.012". I use a Redding 2400 case trimming lathe and I set it up with a case that was 2.009" in length. I believe the universal collet on the trimmer is not consistent enough to produce exact cases to the thousandth. I have had this trimmer for about 3 years now and it has always been this way. Does .004" variation make much difference in the overall scheme? How many of you trim your brass to the thousandth of an inch? I'm starting to develop a load because I'm wanting to get into competition next year and want to be as exact as I can be. Thanks again

Re: How important is brass length for accuracy?

Length doesn't matter much as long as the neck is niether too short or too long. Necks that are too short may not hold enough of the bullet to keep proper alignment. Necks too long may jam into the end of the neck cut within the chamber, potentially crimping the bullet when you don't want it.

I used to be super careful in trying to get them exactly the same and tossing the ones that didn't come out exact to the side. However, for me, I tried the ones and they shot exactly the same as far as I could tell. Now, I just trim them normally and don't worry about a variance like that. I've never seen any problems with accuracy.

I also have bought Winchester brass that's new, and it often comes trimmed way shorter than book spec with quite a bit of difference in the length on many. I didn't want to trim it since it was already so short, so I loaded it as is, and it shot the same as the ones I'd been shooting that were a bit longer.

Its not very important. I had some one time that was so long I had to remove the bolt just to get it out of the chamber but it still shot good.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I'll be getting into long range tactical/practical competition next year. I'll probably sell this and get one that produces a little more consistent results. All the time I've used it I haven't been able to tell the difference caused by the inconsistency, but if I'm going to sink my time and money into competing I want something a little more exact. I know the equipment doesn't make the man, but I also enjoy reloading and seeing everything come out as precise as I can make it. I think this would be a great tool if I reloaded for more than one caliber or if I was into 3-gun and needed to make alot of rounds quicker.

Important, but not as much as neck tension and bullet concentricity. I just trimmed my brass when they get close to max recommended length.