• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors How is the Aries Suppressor System?

RossinFL

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2004
FL
Guy, does anyone have first hand or reliable second hand experience with the Aries suppressor system? I've seen the videos he has on Youtube and the claims of vastly superior DB reduction over a conventional muzzle mount can. I don't see anyone here running them... What is the story?

Re: How is the Aries Suppressor System?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is some good reading for you:
http://www.silencertalk.com/silencer-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45212&start=0 </div></div>

Thanks I just read it. His claims do seem a bit out there but I am wondering if it still gives superior suppression to the muzzle only cans. I still have yet to find first hand info from someone (other than the owner) as to how it performs.

Silencer Talk, the uninformed leading the unwary for the benfit of the commercially inspired.

IMO, the Aries is a unique design that has some interesting attributes. For those that have some special suppression requirements it can be incredible. But, it has some real weaknesses.

If:

1. If your host can be custom prepared to receive the external barrel envelope and you are willing to modify both stock and receiver/barrel in all but the rarest variants (Nemesis has no forearm and the perfect barrel nut.)
2. If your barrel/brake can support the forward alignment/spacing envelope pitons.
3. If your suppressor will not see any significant physical abusive environments....at all.
4. If your suppressor will not see any environmentally challenging environments....at all.
5. If your needs are for very limited firing schedule requiring maximum suppression and heat masking.
7. If your needs are for a proprietary single application suppressor (except for exactly similar, custom altered hosts in all regards.)

Then you can have:

1. Quiet rarely matched by "normal" cans with traditional internal volume capacity with remarkable suppression on all but the heavier cartridges.
2. The profile of an integral (no appearance of anything other than a bull barrel). It is not an integral (no gas tap, no subsonic reduction) it is a "dedicated" blast can.
3. A final rig whose accuracy is already determined by the original barrel and present brake. A plus and a mnus.
4. For a few rounds, extreme thermal masking made possible by the volume.

In one sentence? Unmatched quiet but fragile to a fault, best suited as a dedicated, special application solution for a very small but appreciative audience.

Hope that helps.

I have heard it in person and it's legit. Not sure on poi claims though. Max distance we shot was 200yds. Seems WAY more robust than usual cans. Very easy to clean. I am contemplating having one put on a blaser barrel.

I'll stick with traditional cans. Heat/pressure/solvents/debris/abrasion/and UV light wreak havoc on carbon fiber.

Dealing with Shooter's Depot was the worst business experience of my life. I don't even feel comfortable using my suppressor, because I know the next time it screws up, he wants $300-400 to fix it. I will never deal with them again.
-Dan

Alder,

Now I am not defending this can, see above. But having said that. This system cleans out faster and more completely than any other. Any other. The full exterior envelope can be accessed, the full stack can be dipped, scrubbed, etc. The full length of barrel can be cleaned and prepped. Whereas one would not want to take this system out and use it as a cane, it is not "weak." You read enough of my stuff to know I am not a fan of reflex, covering any barrel in high volume fire leads to deterioration and stringing. But...

Sunlight and carbon Fiber. Ultraviolet light and condensation have been shown to degrade some forms of epoxy used in bonding carbon fiber, some forms, not all. The largest mass of carbon fiber ever assembled has zero deterioration and it is in both sun and salt 24/7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maltese_Falcon_(yacht)

80 times stronger than steel,40 times stronger than titanium,
Half the weight of aluminum, the fastest dissipation of heat.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">NOT</span> as a high pressure envelope (as in the stack ends, and so does the CF!) But as a high volume, low pressure <span style="text-decoration: underline">full</span> RIFLE length barrel wrap. no problem.

Traditional roles for cans are best served exactly as you stated. But, for those that need absolute quiet in large centerfire, low thermal, tightest OAL, there is a strong following.

DDavis, what went wrong with your suppressor? What did he fix? I would appreciate as much detail as you can muster, thanks.

If I owned one I would give my opinion of course that would probably not be possible because I am sure it would still be pending dang it...

I have been to his shop several times, he is hard to deal with, instead of helping you with your question or problem, he tried to talk you into something. Something he sells.
I do know that aries system he does is top notch, on suppression. It is pricey though and dedicated to what ever rifle you have him install it on.

PS,
He is a local sot dealer for me and I still didnt go with him for several reasons, FYI

Agreed, difficult personality.
Agreed, quality can.
ddavis still wanted hear from you if you actually bought owned shot his can. Thanks

Not the ARIES, but a standard 30 caliber CF Lion. I was told a 3-4 month wait for them to build it. After 6 months, I went up there to find out what was going on. Long story short, I had to get the ATF involved for them to get everything sorted out and get the paperwork going. First time out, I go to unscrew it from the rifle, and the tube unscrews from the base. They forgot to epoxy it on. 6 months to build and no quality control.

After being epoxied, I have a baffle strike the next time out. This was after they had test fired it on that particular rifle (bolt action 300 Whisper) and given it the OK.

When I took it in, they said whoever threaded the rifle "should be shot." I think Shilen knows a thing or two about threading...

He replaces the baffle and sends me on my way. Next time out, another baffle strike, who would have thought? This time he re threads the silencer for a tight fit on the rifle, and tells me I can only use it on that particular rifle because it is a custom fit now. I had no intention of keeping that rifle, and had he asked, I would not have OK'ed him to do that.

Anyways, I sold the bolt action and put together a 10" AR15 in 300 BLK. Took it up there to see about getting silencer fit to this rifle. What do you know, it screws right on? Looks to me like the silencer was what was out of spec. all along. George looks down the bore and says it's good to go. No problems the first time I took it shooting.

Several weeks later, I go shooting, and after about 10 rounds, I take the silencer off the rifle to discover the internals are rattling loosely inside. I immediately take it into the shop and they can find no evidence of a baffle strike and the endcaps were still tight. The only thing I can figure is that the CF tube stretched out when it got hot.

After several weeks I get it back and the next time I take it shooting, when it warms up I can hear it clicking like a hot engine does when it's cooling down. Once again the internals are rattling loosely. When I take it in, they take the whole thing apart and show me that the blast baffle is bent out of shape, and the aluminum spacer for the expansion chamber is cracked lengthwise. It doesn't surprise me, as the aluminum isn't a whole lot thicker than a coke-can. This is how they keep the weight down.

George has blamed me for everything that has gone wrong up to this point, because his products are the best in the world and there is no way anything could be wrong with them. He cannot give a valid explanation. He did try to tell me that I had a "detonation" in one of my handloads because of too little powder, which caused a massive overpressure in the can. Explain to me how 10 grains of powder can create more muzzle pressure than 20 grains, without showing any pressure signs on the brass cases, which I had all 30 of from that day?

He charged me $100 to replace the aluminum spacers with steel (which they should have been in the first place) and told me that if anything else goes wrong, it's going to be $300-$400. So much for all the BS on his website.

I recently had an excellent local gunsmith thread my 22" 6.5x55 for the silencer, because it should have less muzzle pressure and will definitely not get as hot as the AR. We shall see how it holds up. It will become a very expensive paperweight the next time it fails.

I didn't mention half the BS I was put through in my 2 years of dealing with Shooter's Depot, but in that time, my silencer was in the shop more than it was in my possession. George is impossible to deal with, and will not hear reason. He would rather yell at you. I will NEVER deal with them again.

Regards,
-Dan

Wow, just realized how long that post was. Sorry about that, but just hearing about Shooter's Depot makes my blood boil and puts me in a bad mood. I just hope I can save someone else from going through what I did.
-Dan

Dan,

Thanks for posting that out. That is really helpful and very enlightening. There is no excuse for that kind of work/service. I hope George gets to see this thread some day....

Aluminum folks....aluminum as an envelope or chamber housing of any kind in centerfire is a loser. Think of all the units being sold and touted with aluminum tubes/housings/envelopes. Aluminum, circa 1978.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not the ARIES, but a standard 30 caliber CF Lion. I was told a 3-4 month wait for them to build it. After 6 months, I went up there to find out what was going on. Long story short, I had to get the ATF involved for them to get everything sorted out and get the paperwork going. First time out, I go to unscrew it from the rifle, and the tube unscrews from the base. They forgot to epoxy it on. 6 months to build and no quality control.

After being epoxied, I have a baffle strike the next time out. This was after they had test fired it on that particular rifle (bolt action 300 Whisper) and given it the OK.

When I took it in, they said whoever threaded the rifle "should be shot." I think Shilen knows a thing or two about threading...

He replaces the baffle and sends me on my way. Next time out, another baffle strike, who would have thought? This time he re threads the silencer for a tight fit on the rifle, and tells me I can only use it on that particular rifle because it is a custom fit now. I had no intention of keeping that rifle, and had he asked, I would not have OK'ed him to do that.

Anyways, I sold the bolt action and put together a 10" AR15 in 300 BLK. Took it up there to see about getting silencer fit to this rifle. What do you know, it screws right on? Looks to me like the silencer was what was out of spec. all along. George looks down the bore and says it's good to go. No problems the first time I took it shooting.

Several weeks later, I go shooting, and after about 10 rounds, I take the silencer off the rifle to discover the internals are rattling loosely inside. I immediately take it into the shop and they can find no evidence of a baffle strike and the endcaps were still tight. The only thing I can figure is that the CF tube stretched out when it got hot.

After several weeks I get it back and the next time I take it shooting, when it warms up I can hear it clicking like a hot engine does when it's cooling down. Once again the internals are rattling loosely. When I take it in, they take the whole thing apart and show me that the blast baffle is bent out of shape, and the aluminum spacer for the expansion chamber is cracked lengthwise. It doesn't surprise me, as the aluminum isn't a whole lot thicker than a coke-can. This is how they keep the weight down.

George has blamed me for everything that has gone wrong up to this point, because his products are the best in the world and there is no way anything could be wrong with them. He cannot give a valid explanation. He did try to tell me that I had a "detonation" in one of my handloads because of too little powder, which caused a massive overpressure in the can. Explain to me how 10 grains of powder can create more muzzle pressure than 20 grains, without showing any pressure signs on the brass cases, which I had all 30 of from that day?

He charged me $100 to replace the aluminum spacers with steel (which they should have been in the first place) and told me that if anything else goes wrong, it's going to be $300-$400. So much for all the BS on his website.

I recently had an excellent local gunsmith thread my 22" 6.5x55 for the silencer, because it should have less muzzle pressure and will definitely not get as hot as the AR. We shall see how it holds up. It will become a very expensive paperweight the next time it fails.

I didn't mention half the BS I was put through in my 2 years of dealing with Shooter's Depot, but in that time, my silencer was in the shop more than it was in my possession. George is impossible to deal with, and will not hear reason. He would rather yell at you. I will NEVER deal with them again.

Regards,
-Dan </div></div>

Any FFL dealer that has his business in the same building as a gang supported strip club I'd stay far away from ( I know he has since moved caddy corner to a more suitable shit hole). That being said I have heard his rifles at the range and they are quiet. He however is not, he is a load mouth and is not a rational person. I would not trust his cans as far as I could throw one of the crackheaded prostitutes that walk up and down the street where his business is located.

+50000 from experience. He's found his niche. With the 4 months or more that are "acceptable" for the BATFE to process a stamp, this nutcase can promise the world and make it look good on paper...unfortunately you're $200 or more into the government and stuck with excuses or a heap you can't easily transfer out...

I use the guy's at Modern Pawn and Gun in Corpus to handle all my NFA stuff now. Top notch, great communication and AMAZING inventory on hand and on the shelf.

I used Modern Pawn also, they are turning out to be great people.

I like the folks at Modern Pawn also, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them. A plus is that they are connected with the Jewelry store next door, so I had them engrave my Form 1 lower receiver. I'll be using them to transfer my next silencer.

Re: UPDATE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE:

My silencer is now an $1100 paperweight.

Details here:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77542 </div></div>
I just saw your youtube video as well.

I have to say that it looks like some serious design flaws.

Re: UPDATE

you know that really sucks to spend your hard earned money and have it go KABOOM.

I was looking forward to going to Corpus to see family then swing by this place but I think i'll stay clear.