• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How is the DPMS LR-308L?

Happy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Flagstaff AZ
Hey guys thinking about getting one of these for hunting, seems like they are kinda hard to come by but, does anyone have any experience with them? I think this rifle and a nightforce nxs 2.5-10x32 would be a sweet combo.

Thanks,
Jon

Re: How is the DPMS LR-308L?

Jon,
I have had my LR308 24" bull for about 2 years now, it is topped with a Zeiss with the Z1000 reticle. So far I am extremely happy, accuracy wise the gun is more capable than I am, though that isn't saying much. Only issues so far have been feeding from the mag which by the sounds of problems that others have had it is a factory DPMS mag issue. Neither of the 2 mags that I got with the gun feed reliably.

I also have the LR308 24" bull and am more than pleased with mine. i haven't had any feed issues with the factory mags but if you do magpul makes pmags for the 308 now. One thing i would suggest though is to put a magpul PRS stock on it. I just got one and it is a VERY big improvement over the normal A2 stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grmroper001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon,
I have had my LR308 24" bull for about 2 years now, it is topped with a Zeiss with the Z1000 reticle. So far I am extremely happy, accuracy wise the gun is more capable than I am, though that isn't saying much. Only issues so far have been feeding from the mag which by the sounds of problems that others have had it is a factory DPMS mag issue. Neither of the 2 mags that I got with the gun feed reliably. </div></div>

You can always try some of the new Magpul 308 magazines:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=838956

I have not had issues with the magazines and I have 15 or some of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grmroper001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon,
I have had my LR308 24" bull for about 2 years now, it is topped with a Zeiss with the Z1000 reticle. So far I am extremely happy, accuracy wise the gun is more capable than I am, though that isn't saying much. Only issues so far have been feeding from the mag which by the sounds of problems that others have had it is a factory DPMS mag issue. Neither of the 2 mags that I got with the gun feed reliably. </div></div>

You can always try some of the new Magpul 308 magazines:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=838956

I have not had issues with the magazines and I have 15 or some of them. </div></div>

I love the 20LR magazines. They're all I use in my 6.5 Creedmoor DPMS gun. Midway is OOS, but MidwestPX (a supporting vendor here) has them.

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=15_76

The DPMS is a fine gun at a reasonable price. Some folks like to look down their nose at them but I credit DPMS for for opening up the .308 AR market. (Untill they came along Armalite wasn't very competitive in their pricing or options and KAC was near impossible to find).

These days the .308 AR market is a lot more competitive (great for us consumers) with some very good options out there (I personally want one of the new LMTs) but the DPMS is still the most affordable and meets the needs of most shooters, and a decent rifle you can afford is a lot more usefull than a great rifle you can't.

I got my LR308 wih a 24" fluted barrel a few years ago as part of a group buy. It's a very accurate shooter but too heavy to be practical for hunting. I think the LR-308L you are looking at would be a great choice for your purposes.

I have the LR308L, love the gun. Took a deer with it this past hunting season. It is lighter then most other 308 ARs but after rings and optics its still hefty. Have A.R.M.S. Quick detach rings on it with a 3-12x Nikon Monarch and as of thursday shot a best 5 shot group of .355" with handloads single loaded as I too have had a feed issue from time to time if I don't run the gun "wet" Oh downside... I had to wait a year to get mine from time of order, which was right before the Pres election. So the wait time should be much less now.

I've got an 18" LR308. I had mag issues with originals as well, but DPMS switched them for me. I also use C products with no issues. But I find once chamber starts to get dirty, I might as well just stop until I can clean it.

I did put a Geiselle trigger in mine which was a H-U-G-E improvement. I only feed from magazine, mostly handloads on a Dillon 550 with surplus 7.62 brass. Mine shoots it's best groups with 168 match HP's (Nosler or Sierra) and extruded powders like IMR4895 will do 1" @ 100. On the other hand 150 FMJ's and ball powder shoot horribly in my gun.

I haven't tried for hunting yet, but 18" would likely handle a little better than longer bull barrel.

JB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JEB405</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did put a Geiselle trigger in mine which was a H-U-G-E improvement.
</div></div>

+1 on the Geiselle trigger. I put a DMR on my 16" 308 AP4 and it made a lot of difference in my ability to pull the trigger without jerking it.

I have a DPMS 308 LR with a barrel that is cut to 20" and fluted. All decked out this thing is a pig, with a full mag she is around 17lbs, but that is my doing, I don't plan on hunting with it. With an RRA two stage trigger this is an extremely accurate rifle, I did change the stock and added other items as well as polished the feed ramps, but the single most important item for accuracy was the new trigger.
Do not drink the Kool-ade that will make you think that DPMS is a second rate rifle..... They Are Not.
By reloading I can get 3/4 inch groups shooting 168 Sierra Match kings, and 1 1/2 inch groups shooting cheap 150 grn. full metal jacket bullets. No feed issues with factory mags or Magpul P-mag. Enjoy
SScott
DPMS1.jpg

I have the 24" bull and factory muzz. break if i do my part they go in same hole at 100 have had no mag pro. at all. waiting on my sass to get here. Great rifle. many of my friends have them in different configerations and they all shoot .5 or better. Not saying that every rifle is like that but From my personal exp. with five or six great shooters

I took a DPMS upper and lower and dropped a Kreiger barrel in it. Not exactly the setup that you are asking as mine has been customized slightly, but it is a real shooter and seriously making me think about doing another upper in a different caliber, maybe a 260.