• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How little scope clearance is “too little?”

Hookdown

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2017
Conroe, TX
I believe in mounting my hunting scopes as low as possible. I just mounted a scope on one of my rifles. It clears the barrel, but not by much. Is “clearing clearing?” Or is there some rule of thumb out there that I haven’t heard of? I’d hate to have things flex during firing tobthe point where some contact is made. In case it matters, the scope is mounted on a Montana 1999 Long Action via Talley one-piece rings and the barrel is a Proof CF chambered in 33 Nosler. I haven’t measured the clearance yet, as I’d probably have to use feeler gauges or something. Here’s a photo I took. Should I go to the next higher set of rings?

5C94B8C2-7B08-4A21-9E34-D97D222B66CB.jpeg

Looks good to me. Take a pic of your rifle mount and scope on a wide angle.

Ok. Thanks. Darn it. I’m out of town til Monday, so I can’t take any more pics til then.

So I’m guessing you aren’t using scope caps? Second why do you believe in being as low as possible? It is far more important to be comfortable behind the rifle. Does the rifle have an adjustable cheek riser? There is absolutely no need to be “as low as possible” anymore. That’s a holdover from traditional stocks without adjustable risers and older scopes with little turret travel that made zeroing difficult.

What mount and rings do you have. Also what is the rifle for hunting, target shooting or both

So I’m guessing you aren’t using scope caps? Second why do you believe in being as low as possible? It is far more important to be comfortable behind the rifle. Does the rifle have an adjustable cheek riser? There is absolutely no need to be “as low as possible” anymore. That’s a holdover from traditional stocks without adjustable risers and older scopes with little turret travel that made zeroing difficult.
I’m not using scope caps. It’s a hunting rifle built for light weight, so it does not have an adjustable stock. The scope height is comfortable as is. I may use a thin pad to raise the cheek weld a bit. But the lower the scope, the easier that is. Finally, I already own these rings. $50 for a new set of Talley rings is inconsequential, but if these will work, then I might as well use these.

I’m not using scope caps. It’s a hunting rifle built for light weight, so it does not have an adjustable stock. The scope height is comfortable as is. I may use a thin pad to raise the cheek weld a bit. But the lower the scope, the easier that is. Finally, I already own these rings. $50 for a new set of Talley rings is inconsequential, but if these will work, then I might as well use these.
Ok that makes more sense. It would still be better to find a ring height that’s comfortable and build up the cheek piece somehow rather than force your neck into an unnatural position. That will cause fatigue and misses. Some really good stock packs out there for just this purpose.

Good info above, and you’re not too low, but, I’d still protect my optic with scope caps of some sort especially on a hunting scope. Rain, dust, snow, etc... Find a cover and modify to fit, no need to change ring height. I close my ocular cover just to write down data in the cold so my breath doesn’t fog the lense.

Ok that makes more sense. It would still be better to find a ring height that’s comfortable and build up the cheek piece somehow rather than force your neck into an unnatural position. That will cause fatigue and misses. Some really good stock packs out there for just this purpose.

Thanks. But I don't know how you got the idea that the scope is at an uncomfortable height. That is something you are imagining in your head. I'll say it again. It is in a very comfortable height right now. If I could make it lower, I would (I miss my Leupold VX-3L). My question is simply, does anyone have some experience or knowledge that would lead them to believe that this is insufficient scope clearance, from the aspect of barrel and/ or scope and ring flex allowing the barrel and scope bell to touch when the rifle is fired?

Reactions: jakelly
Thanks. But I don't know how you got the idea that the scope is at an uncomfortable height. That is something you are imagining in your head. I'll say it again. It is in a very comfortable height right now. If I could make it lower, I would (I miss my Leupold VX-3L). My question is simply, does anyone have some experience or knowledge that would lead them to believe that this is insufficient scope clearance, from the aspect of barrel and/ or scope and ring flex allowing the barrel and scope bell to touch when the rifle is fired?
I didn’t say it was. If it works for you rock on. I was just saying comfort is more important than being low. That’s all. As for flex, I think you will be fine, it’s not gonna flex where the barrel and receiver meet

Youll find out after a handful of shots, see if there is a rub mark on the scope. I suspect it will but it’s 50/50, that’s quite narrow if the pic angle doesn’t lie.

And I don’t use caps, just the scope coat neoprene style sleeves, much faster to remove than caps, doesn’t matter about clearance, can protect all sides from reasonable bumps.

Reactions: Hookdown
agree with spife...hard to tell in a pic, but i had a scope/rings i moved from 1 rifle to another and didnt want to change the rings...it cleared maybe a little less than your pic, a dollar bill would slide under it, but would slightly drag...6.5 creed in a marksmen contour so i figured it wouldnt flex much that close to the action...i shot it anyways and had issues with random flyers...took the scope off after about 20 rounds and the bottom of the scope and top of the barrel had tiny wear marks...mounted with higher rings and problems went away

I have mounted scopes very low. (.020”). I have used one piece mounts with very little clearance between the turret housing and mount (.007”). I haven’t had problems. Get some carbon copy paper and test it.

Reactions: Hookdown