• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How long between loading and shooting? Storage?

USMARINE1108

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2007
Beaufort SC
Hey guys, I'm ready to load up quite a few rounds. In fact, it's about as much as I'll shoot in the next 5 years for this rifle. My question is, will there be any negative to letting the ammo sit on my shelf for a few years? I know some very old surplus ammo is fired every day with no issues, but I'm talking about precision loads. I've read about the neck "bonding" to the bullet and about people seating bullets long so they can re-seat them just prior to shooting them. Anyone do this? Is it necessary? Thoughts?

Re: How long between loading and shooting? Storage?

Just correctly reload you're ammo and you'll be fine for years to come. IMO
I bet you shot some older stuff in the crotch and didn't even know it. ;~)
Just keep it in a cool dry place...sorry forgot that.
Semper Fi!

I just ran this experiment. A couple yars ago (just over 3) I loaded up my long range recipie for 150 rounds and let it sit. Last month, I drug it out of storage and shot it at a few targets. It is still 0.8 MoA ammo, but its not the 0.35 MoA ammo it was when it went into storage.

For fun, I reloaded the cases with the same recipie and shot that the previous weekend, and the recipie remains 0.35 MoA.

So, some accuracy loss occured, not a lot, but it seems to me that fresher ammo shoots better.

I just went thru this from ammo that I made for an F Class rifle last Sept....certainly not the same load it was at that time that's for sure. I believe I know how to properly make ammo too. I would say if your brass is new never fired u should be ok ....once there is carbon of some sort on the inside of the necks I think the necks can become somewhat bonded to them...easy to check just put one in your press and try and seat it .010 deeper and listen for the "crack"...even if made with new components for long term they still need to be stored properly. Take it for what its worth, just my 2ct!

Ask Greg about this subject. I really hate to think that the Grey matter above the grey hair matters. But, it does. As he has spoken...load them before the match. Not years before. JMHO

Can't remember exactly where I learned this, but I think it was off Dave Tubb's Handloading DVD he did for Sierra. It's about 4 hours long.

Tubb said the metalurgy of brass changes over time, like 6 months. Right after you work it, it is soft. After it sits a while it begins to "tighten" up or get stiffer. The problem is that it does not do this uniformly. So it tends to have an effect on how the bullet is released. The bullet is not being held by the mouth of the case as uniformly as when it was first worked.

This would be consistent with what one of the above posters said on the results he got from shooting old loads. When he reloaded them and shot them soon after, the accuracy came back.

Well, it looks like I'm going to load some up long and let them sit for awhile. When I decide to shoot them I'll seat the bullets to the correct OAL and see where I'm at with groups. Anyone else with thoughts on this?

Ive been contemplating doing this too and I havent made up any yet for storage but I was going to use the ss media for carbon clean up and seal with markon primer and bullet sealant then use the narrow food saver bags and vacuum sealer system to make blister packs of smaller amounts if I need 10 to 20 rounds here and there so I dont contaminate the lot every time I open the can. Load all this into an ammo can with desiccant and stash in a dry cool closet till needed...Also I heard many different things on brass aging but I was planning to also anneal before loading up for good measure...

And this might be taking it a step to far but since I dont have clean room to load in I was going to use a dehumidifier in the room I was going to load in a few hours prior and possibly even on a day with less than average humidity...Just ideas though

Five years is a blink of the eye to ammo.

Unless you store it next to your furnace.

Cold doesn't bother it tho. If it did, Eskimos wouldn't have much luck!

Found a box of 7 Rem Mag ammo my father loaded for me before he passed away. Found them last Sept. They were loaded in 1981. Fired over the Chrony and they were 30fps slower than my freshly loaded rounds. In shooting at 100yrds same group size same point of impact. Thats all I have to say about that. see ya, Bill

I had some 30-06 handloads that I loaded 17 years earlier . My notes said they shot .44" . When I shot them out of the rifle they shot .4x" . I didn't chronograph them but accuracy was fine . I store ammo in ammo cans with desiccant . I have never noticed a difference in group size . If improperly stored - humidity , high temp , or large temp swings you would probably see some changes but I can't see any major changes unless subjected to years of improper storage . I have read old mil match ammo that was sealed with a tar like substance would harden after 1 yr and group size would be reduced about 25% if you seated bullet deeper to break this seal ( which I did and group size was reduced ). Just letting you know what I've seen .

david

It is definitely a "precision" issue. Will the ammo shoot? Yes. I have some FGMM that I bought from the CMP that is at least a decade old and shoots just fine. Can I handload better than it? Yes.

Honestly, I supplement my handloading with factory match ammo because I can't load as fast as I shoot. I can't imagine having handloaded ammo sitting around for years.

If you are looking for benchrest level accuracy or want to be competitive in f-class, I would not load years ahead of time. For almost every other application (including high power at 100 and 300), I think it would be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I'm ready to load up quite a few rounds. In fact, it's about as much as I'll shoot in the next 5 years for this rifle. My question is, will there be any negative to letting the ammo sit on my shelf for a few years? I know some very old surplus ammo is fired every day with no issues, but I'm talking about precision loads. I've read about the neck "bonding" to the bullet and about people seating bullets long so they can re-seat them just prior to shooting them. Anyone do this? Is it necessary? Thoughts? </div></div>

Nah just shoot them, they will be right.

In a similar vein, for absolute precision - is there any problem with resizing a large batch and letting the brass sit for a few weeks or a couple of months before loading them? how about for annealing ahead of time like above?

I ask because with my Giraud trimmer, I have to FL resize before trimming and I like to trim in large batches because the Giraud is so fast. Any issue with sizing and annealing several hundred at a time and then loading them right before shooting? I typically load up the night before or a day or two ahead of time at the most. But it's nice to have resized and prepped brass waiting on me.

I don't see a problem with my pre prepped brass but mine don't sit around more than a few months. I shoot a lot and I will usually prep all the brass I plan to use in matches. When that is shot up I will clean and prep again. This gives me only a few times a year when my loading is labor intensive.

Setting a couple months, after annealling and sizing?
no.
Neck tension suffered from that.

Have you tried checking seating depth the night before?

No matter how much ammo I have loaded and how many bullets I have, I always seem to need to buy more bullets and load more ammo.

Leaving things undone leaves flexibility.