• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How long do chamber reamers last?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I've decided to make the investment into my own PT&G finish reamers for the last two calibers I've had built.

About how many chamberings can I expect them to last before they are considered less than optimum for a match-grade rifle?

Thanks

Re: How long do chamber reamers last?

They will last at least 1000 years if you keep them oiled and in a dry place.

Seriously if used properly they will not need to be resharpened for more barrels than you will shoot out in your lifetime. I have some reamers that have cut 25 chambers and they still cut smooth and bur free. When they get dull they can be resharpened.

Just like any cutting tool, it depends how it is used and stored. If you store it out in the shed in a damp cloth, don't expect it to last. Keep it clean and oiled in the "jimmy hat" that you will recieve it in. Another factor is how whom ever uses it treats it. If they take thier time and constantly flush out all the chips to ensure everything is kosher before putting the reamer back into your soon to be chamber, then it will last for sometime. If this person just keeps jamming the reamer in and out and is in a hurry, not only will you have a crumby chamber but it won't help extend the life of the reamer.

10-4.

I plan to take very good care of my reamers, and lend them only to the reputable 'smiths who rebarrel my rifles.

I also plan to keep track of the number of uses, so I was curious if there was some sort of number of which I should be wary.

Thanks

Cutting tools wear with each use, but as long as they are used properly and are of good quality then they will last a long time. Carbide wears the least and last the longest but I prefer HSS (high speed steel), it's cheaper and seems to give a better finish.

I've run 400+ chambers on Daves nitrided carbide finish reamers w/o resharpen, roughing first with his 3 flute nitride carbide

For a standard HSS finish reamer I use in production work, I have them resharpened every 25 - 30 chambers. I keep duplicates on hand so when I send one off I still work. I may be overboard on my method but I prefer sharp tools over ones that are marginally sharp. Money well invested I believe as they charge 35 and it is basically brand new.