• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How long do you wait between shots

Max_The_Phoenix

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2022
Usa
Hi Everyone
How long do you wait between each shot on a 5 shots string for grouping and measuring es/sd?
The goal is to have a group size under 0.5” and the load is not gonna be for hunting, just target.

I have been reading on forums that you have to wait 3 minutes between each shot😵‍💫

Barrel is a 24” Proof CF Sendero light chambered in 6.5 CM
ambient temp is about 75-90

Thanks for your help!

9863F788-22A3-4DEF-B317-7FF5AE7DD2F2.jpeg

Some time when you have the chance to attend a short range Bench Rest Club Match, go watch how fast some of the experienced folks hammer out their 5 shots for record when they want to "catch a condition". You would think they were shooting too fast to aim....

i don't reload, but if i was developing a load i suppose it would be under the same conditions and a the same rate of fire i was expecting to shoot.

Reactions: RegionRat
There is absolutely no hard rule about 'how fast'. I would venture to say it's all about your shooting ability and the ability to read wind and other conditions.

If you shot like 5 or 10 different groups it might be a good idea to pause between however many 'groups', but definitely not between shots.

That said sometimes the F Class guys will wait between shots but that is as far as I know based around conditions, IE a big swirling dust cloud pops up after shot X...and they are waiting for it to calm back down or some other situation like that before they continue.

If you shot like 5 or 10 different groups it might be a good idea to pause between however many 'groups', but definitely not between shots.
This ^^ for me. Not between shots, but will pause between groups when the barrel gets hot to the touch....but I shoot MTU barrels and they don't get too hot from just one each 5 shot group.

And it is my understanding also that both BR and F Class guys do indeed pause to get the wind conditions (and not pausing bacause of barrel temp) they then want to fire fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Don't need to wait between shots. That is just nonsense. Stop shooting when the barrel is hot. Don't clean every 5-10 shots unless you are actually competing in BR. I have a proof pre-fit in 6.5cm that shoots in the .3's without much effort and I clean it every 200 rounds or so. Half inch groups at 100 yards are easily achievable with a very dirty barrel. That much cleaning, outside of actual BR comps, is just wasting your time and resources.

Last edited:
Mahziar, it does take some deeper and longer discussion to cover the topic of the effects of tempo, fouling, etc., but I think you get the point now.

It certainly can be difficult to sort out with so many crazies and fakers on the internet.

In a few contexts within serious formal target shooting, we would be able to say there is enough "standardization" to be able to generalize down to an average expectation for the tempo or number of shots between cleanings.

Back in the days when there were games when hundreds of folks were essentially shooting nearly identical guns with nearly identical loads, we could have shown a student on cue exactly what to expect when they ran too hot or too dirty. However...

Outside of a specific context like that one, it is very difficult to demonstrate the do's and don't to beginners.

In general, you ask a fair question for a shooter who is getting serious about group or score. But, since recipes and powders are all over the map, and barrel sections are vastly different, we can only give you generic advice or answers.

It certainly is important to pay attention to cleaning, round count for fouling, tempo, ammo temperature or heat soaking in the chamber, barrel heating, shooter fatigue, etc..

If you make a habit of hammering out long strings without a break and get the barrel very hot, you can expect a shorter barrel life and you will also notice a difference in the rate of fouling.

The context matters. We learn some things from fully automatic weapon systems, and others from extreme accuracy contexts.

Folks who are serious highpower competitors, or varmint shooters, can set examples of very high performance while pushing the limits of tempo and cleaning. To refute that 3 minute between shots comment above, one only has to visit with those folks for the proof.

Mahziar, it does take some deeper and longer discussion to cover the topic of the effects of tempo, fouling, etc., but I think you get the point now.

It certainly can be difficult to sort out with so many crazies and fakers on the internet.

In a few contexts within serious formal target shooting, we would be able to say there is enough "standardization" to be able to generalize down to an average expectation for the tempo or number of shots between cleanings.

Back in the days when there were games when hundreds of folks were essentially shooting nearly identical guns with nearly identical loads, we could have shown a student on cue exactly what to expect when they ran too hot or too dirty. However...

Outside of a specific context like that one, it is very difficult to demonstrate the do's and don't to beginners.

In general, you ask a fair question for a shooter who is getting serious about group or score. But, since recipes and powders are all over the map, and barrel sections are vastly different, we can only give you generic advice or answers.

It certainly is important to pay attention to cleaning, round count for fouling, tempo, ammo temperature or heat soaking in the chamber, barrel heating, shooter fatigue, etc..

If you make a habit of hammering out long strings without a break and get the barrel very hot, you can expect a shorter barrel life and you will also notice a difference in the rate of fouling.

The context matters. We learn some things from fully automatic weapon systems, and others from extreme accuracy contexts.

Folks who are serious highpower competitors, or varmint shooters, can set examples of very high performance while pushing the limits of tempo and cleaning. To refute that 3 minute between shots comment above, one only has to visit with those folks for the proof.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up, I got your point and I usually take my time by looking at the case head and feed my next round and it takes usually 30s max between shots

Reactions: RegionRat
Don't need to wait between shots. That is just nonsense. Stop shooting when the barrel is hot. Don't clean every 5-10 shots unless you are actually competing in BR. I have a proof pre-fit in 6.5cm that shoots in the .3's without much effort and I clean it every 200 rounds or so. Half inch groups at 100 yards are easily achievable with a very dirty barrel. That much cleaning, outside of actual BR comps, is just wasting your time and resources.
I clean after every range day and usually don’t shoot more that 70-80 rds
Is your barrel contoured in CF sendero?
How many rds down the pipe?

Hi Everyone
How long do you wait between each shot on a 5 shots string for grouping and measuring es/sd?
The goal is to have a group size under 0.5” and the load is not gonna be for hunting, just target.

I have been reading on forums that you have to wait 3 minutes between each shot😵‍💫

Thanks for your help!

It all depends on several things. Like one thing would be how much you're trying to get a lot of life out of the barrel. The faster the rate of fire where the barrel gets really hot, the shorter the life of the barrel and ambient temperature has a big effect as well as how heavy of a barrel you have. To keep the heat of the barrel down, monitoring the barrel heat helps in using one being able to use a rate of fire that doesn't overtax the barrel. With my heavy barrel, I can shoot rather rapidly in cool ambient temperatures (like less that 60°F). When it's above 80°F, I take 1-2 minutes between shots to be sure to keep the barrel under 120°F. When the ambient temperature is above 90°F, I use a barrel cooler to speed up the cooling of the barrel so I don't have to wait so long (might take 2 minutes between every couple of shots), else, I could be taking 4-5 minutes between shots. Yes, I have a temperature strip attached to my barrel just above the chamber to monitor how hot the barrel get. Sometimes I let my barrel get to 130°F or a hair over, but in high ambient temperatures, barrel temperature will rise well above that real fast and I don't want that.

So, I'd recommend you use a temperature strip to monitor barrel temperature that you can use a rate of fire that conditions allows.

I clean after every range day and usually don’t shoot more that 70-80 rds
Is your barrel contoured in CF sendero?
How many rds down the pipe?
Not sure on contour, competition maybe. Many times I've heated a .308 barrel so hot I was sure I'd ruined it only to have it shoot perfectly on the next range session. My experiences with barrel life seem to directly contradict what is generally said on the net. I've taken easy shooting 6 & 6.5mm caliber barrels to 3000 rounds plus and they still shot 1/2 moa. I used to clean after each range session. Now I just clean when I feel like it, which is not that often. I think that barrel has 300 or so rounds maybe a little more. Has been cleaned two or three times.

I totally admit I take a very easy-going attitude to this stuff, but I've also been shooting and reloading since age six and have gone through the whole spectrum of compulsion. I used to be nuts about everything being from the same lot number, recording every detail, etc. It became self-defeating, it was just a crap ton of data to try and make sense of--which I usually couldn't.

Now I just try and keep things super simple. I shoot Berger bullets, Lapua cases, FL size with the expander ball, use a Magnetospeed and the Applied Ballistics app. When the barrel stops shooting well or I get bored...I buy a new one. Why spend the life of the barrel fussing over how long its gonna last, when you can not worry and just enjoy what you are doing. Stop shooting when the barrel gets too hot to touch and you should be fine for a long time. If it gets super hot, let it cool down.

Fundamentals of Marksmanship!! That is where shooting is! Learn the fundamentals and practice them. This is where you will make your biggest gains. Focus on what is important and forget the rest.

Not sure on contour, competition maybe. Many times I've heated a .308 barrel so hot I was sure I'd ruined it only to have it shoot perfectly on the next range session. My experiences with barrel life seem to directly contradict what is generally said on the net. I've taken easy shooting 6 & 6.5mm caliber barrels to 3000 rounds plus and they still shot 1/2 moa. I used to clean after each range session. Now I just clean when I feel like it, which is not that often. I think that barrel has 300 or so rounds maybe a little more. Has been cleaned two or three times.

I totally admit I take a very easy-going attitude to this stuff, but I've also been shooting and reloading since age six and have gone through the whole spectrum of compulsion. I used to be nuts about everything being from the same lot number, recording every detail, etc. It became self-defeating, it was just a crap ton of data to try and make sense of--which I usually couldn't.

Now I just try and keep things super simple. I shoot Berger bullets, Lapua cases, FL size with the expander ball, use a Magnetospeed and the Applied Ballistics app. When the barrel stops shooting well or I get bored...I buy a new one. Why spend the life of the barrel fussing over how long its gonna last, when you can not worry and just enjoy what you are doing. Stop shooting when the barrel gets too hot to touch and you should be fine for a long time. If it gets super hot, let it cool down.

Fundamentals of Marksmanship!! That is where shooting is! Learn the fundamentals and practice them. This is where you will make your biggest gains. Focus on what is important and forget the rest.
Thanks a lot brother

Reactions: Buzzinga
I wait an equal amount of time between groups if I'm testing so the barrel is the same temp for each group but not between each shot. I generally will shoot a few to check my zero and then start my group. Then will wait about 5-7 min between each group, I just make sure whatever time I go with, I use that same time between each consecutive group after. I shoot suppressed always so it's mainly for my can and to make the condition as uniform as I can when testing. Otherwise I don't really worry about it much.

I wait an equal amount of time between groups if I'm testing so the barrel is the same temp for each group but not between each shot. I generally will shoot a few to check my zero and then start my group. Then will wait about 5-7 min between each group, I just make sure whatever time I go with, I use that same time between each consecutive group after. I shoot suppressed always so it's mainly for my can and to make the condition as uniform as I can when testing. Otherwise I don't really worry about it much.
Thanks for sharing bro

I've taken to using dot labels on copier paper... One dot per sheet of paper for a particular group I'm going to test.

That means I have to change targets often. So the gun gets a rest while I walk down and change targets, walk back, make notes on the previous target, load the mag, etc...

Won't work at a public range... Or with "round robin" shooting, but works fine in a hay field I have to myself.

Mike

Reactions: diggler1833
If really, truly, caring about shooting groups; I try to catch conditions that are equal while balancing that with not breaking my position. As a dude with a severe back injury 20 years ago, that means I'm in the prone position less than three minutes for a five shot group, and frequently fire the group in about a minute. After that, I'm stretching like an old lady and waiting for my barrel to cool.

Wait a day between shots, so you know every one is cold bore.

Years ago I posted this, it might be useful here...

Barrel temperature and its effects on 100y accuracy.

I receive the task from one in my Montana hunting party to develop a load for his 13 year old son to use hunting mule deer. The rifle is a Remington 700 ADL chambered in 223 with the light or sporter weight barrel profile (all factory and a 1 in 12 twist rifling). First thing I did was clean it so I would have place to start. While cleaning I discovered that this rifle has two barrel pads manufactured into the plastic molded stock located right at the end of the barrel channel in the 5 and 7 o’clock position. “So the barrel is not a free floater, thinks I, this ought to be interesting.”

We had decided to use the Barnes TSX 53 grain bullet so we would not have any fear of bullet blow ups if jr were to hit bone when taking his shot. I followed Barnes recommendations and had the bullets set to jump .05” into the lands. I worked up few test loads and went shooting.

What I found when shooting was interesting. This coming from a guy who’s rifles are all factory varmint contours or heavier. The first shot hit paper so I fired the first group before making any adjustments to the 3-9 power millet scope. I then made the scope adjustment and fired a second group. WOW

an inch higher than the two inches I had adjusted for. I double checked the scope. Yup 1/4 moa indicated on the capped turret dial.

Anyway, I decided to move along and shoot the rest of my test loads. In which I found two loads worth exploring for the next trip; I am using IMR 8208 and just like I had thought, the better performing loads were right at the top end of Hodgdon’s loading data. Back to the loading room I go... and loaded my next set, this time choosing the two better loads. I loaded these the same but I seated the bullet .03” off the lands and a second set .07” off the lands. This time I brought some varmint loads to shoot that I had made for another rifle so I could see what was going on with this rifle/scope combo without expending expensive Barnes bullets.

When I got back to my range I fired a group of five of the varmint loads. From the resulting pattern I knew I did not have a scope problem but something else was afoot...

shots 1-3 were all inside of a inch of each other in a slight horizontal climb and shots 4 and 5 were a full 1.5” higher also in a horizontal pattern. All shots were fired inside of a 90 seconds. “So” thinks I, “I bet I know what’s going on now.” More on that in a bit.

I fired my test samples and was rewarded with a good grouping with the two loads seated .03” off the lands. Both were about 1” So I went back to the loading bench and loaded up some more of those this time just to zero the scope and get a crono reading. But before I did this I just had to satisfy my curiosity.

I disassembled the rifle and dropped the action into a BDL stock that had a Varmint barrel channel and heading back to my shooting area. The varmint barrel channel allowed the barrel to free float. Using the varmint ammo I fired a series of 5 shots over the same 90 seconds and before you think it... yes they all hit in a sporadic but circular pattern. So, I had been thinking that the barrel pads where causing the climb and I believe I proved this theory correct. But just not yet... My initial thought was as the barrel expanded from heat it increased the pressure on the pads and causing the impact to climb. Not to be proved wrong I put the original stock back on the action and torque it down to the setting I had used the first time when cleaning the rifle and waited for the new day to dawn.

Day two.

I headed back to my shooting area and started my new test. This time equipped with my super scientific barrel temperature monitoring device, a meat thermometer.

Not the best I am sure and yes I will clean it off before using it on steaks. But it worked for what I wanted to do.

As a hunter we all know that the first shot is the most critical. A second may be required but the first one should be all that is needed. The air temp was 74 degrees when I started testing. I fired my first shot, stuck the thermometer down the muzzle and watched the temperature climb slowly four degrees and then start falling. I recorded the peak temp, and velocity (as I was shooting over the crono this time) and waited… and waited… and waited some more. After six minutes I was down to 76 degrees and I figured this was close enough. Fired round two and did the same as on the pervious shot. This went on for about 40 minutes for 6 shots or 2 groups of three. Guess what... Zero impact climb on target for each group.

So, at 74 degrees it takes about 6 minutes with a 223 equipped with a 24” sporter barrel, .65” dia muzzle to get almost back to ambient air temperature. Hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I have testing it.

I don’t have a time frame for between shots in a group, just the time it takes to sequence the next shot. I will let the barrels cool for as long as it takes to deal with targets, record data, give my eyes a rest.

This is why I like bull barrel, MTU etc profiles. The more the mass of the barrel the better heat sump it is!

Reactions: Max_The_Phoenix
Years ago I posted this, it might be useful here...

Barrel temperature and its effects on 100y accuracy.

I receive the task from one in my Montana hunting party to develop a load for his 13 year old son to use hunting mule deer. The rifle is a Remington 700 ADL chambered in 223 with the light or sporter weight barrel profile (all factory and a 1 in 12 twist rifling). First thing I did was clean it so I would have place to start. While cleaning I discovered that this rifle has two barrel pads manufactured into the plastic molded stock located right at the end of the barrel channel in the 5 and 7 o’clock position. “So the barrel is not a free floater, thinks I, this ought to be interesting.”

We had decided to use the Barnes TSX 53 grain bullet so we would not have any fear of bullet blow ups if jr were to hit bone when taking his shot. I followed Barnes recommendations and had the bullets set to jump .05” into the lands. I worked up few test loads and went shooting.

What I found when shooting was interesting. This coming from a guy who’s rifles are all factory varmint contours or heavier. The first shot hit paper so I fired the first group before making any adjustments to the 3-9 power millet scope. I then made the scope adjustment and fired a second group. WOW

an inch higher than the two inches I had adjusted for. I double checked the scope. Yup 1/4 moa indicated on the capped turret dial.

Anyway, I decided to move along and shoot the rest of my test loads. In which I found two loads worth exploring for the next trip; I am using IMR 8208 and just like I had thought, the better performing loads were right at the top end of Hodgdon’s loading data. Back to the loading room I go... and loaded my next set, this time choosing the two better loads. I loaded these the same but I seated the bullet .03” off the lands and a second set .07” off the lands. This time I brought some varmint loads to shoot that I had made for another rifle so I could see what was going on with this rifle/scope combo without expending expensive Barnes bullets.

When I got back to my range I fired a group of five of the varmint loads. From the resulting pattern I knew I did not have a scope problem but something else was afoot...

shots 1-3 were all inside of a inch of each other in a slight horizontal climb and shots 4 and 5 were a full 1.5” higher also in a horizontal pattern. All shots were fired inside of a 90 seconds. “So” thinks I, “I bet I know what’s going on now.” More on that in a bit.

I fired my test samples and was rewarded with a good grouping with the two loads seated .03” off the lands. Both were about 1” So I went back to the loading bench and loaded up some more of those this time just to zero the scope and get a crono reading. But before I did this I just had to satisfy my curiosity.

I disassembled the rifle and dropped the action into a BDL stock that had a Varmint barrel channel and heading back to my shooting area. The varmint barrel channel allowed the barrel to free float. Using the varmint ammo I fired a series of 5 shots over the same 90 seconds and before you think it... yes they all hit in a sporadic but circular pattern. So, I had been thinking that the barrel pads where causing the climb and I believe I proved this theory correct. But just not yet... My initial thought was as the barrel expanded from heat it increased the pressure on the pads and causing the impact to climb. Not to be proved wrong I put the original stock back on the action and torque it down to the setting I had used the first time when cleaning the rifle and waited for the new day to dawn.

Day two.

I headed back to my shooting area and started my new test. This time equipped with my super scientific barrel temperature monitoring device, a meat thermometer.

Not the best I am sure and yes I will clean it off before using it on steaks. But it worked for what I wanted to do.

As a hunter we all know that the first shot is the most critical. A second may be required but the first one should be all that is needed. The air temp was 74 degrees when I started testing. I fired my first shot, stuck the thermometer down the muzzle and watched the temperature climb slowly four degrees and then start falling. I recorded the peak temp, and velocity (as I was shooting over the crono this time) and waited… and waited… and waited some more. After six minutes I was down to 76 degrees and I figured this was close enough. Fired round two and did the same as on the pervious shot. This went on for about 40 minutes for 6 shots or 2 groups of three. Guess what... Zero impact climb on target for each group.

So, at 74 degrees it takes about 6 minutes with a 223 equipped with a 24” sporter barrel, .65” dia muzzle to get almost back to ambient air temperature. Hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I have testing it.
Thank so much for the write up

For a well-built rifle with quality barrel, action, trigger etc, the time between shots is based on getting the shooter ready not the rifle. consistency is key. Shoulder pressure, cheek pressure, sight alignment, breathing with a NRP, and trigger pull have to be exactly the same shot-to-shot. this takes mental preparedness and concentration. some shooters can do all this in five seconds, others may take a minute or more. The rifle is there for the ride.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 8130866

Out of curiosity what bullet are you shooting?

On a hunting load I look to put 3 shots (not 5) into sub .5 MOA in a succession with a slight pause between shots. In most cases I never shoot more than one shot and never more than 2, so this closely mimics my hunting conditions.

I try to keep my ammo at 70° for testing. That is pretty much what opening day looks like but winter conditions can dip to 0° or more so I try to do some testing at 32° on ice. This is tricky due to condensation though. This is why I try to use temp stabile powder. Also there is the matter of the ammo temp vs. air temp.

As a general rule of thumb, I figure a person that shoots .5 moa in ideal conditions on the range they double that in the field bearing down on an animal. With that in mind I keep my shots 600 or less but would consider a 700 yrd shot in ideal field conditions. My longest “one and done” was 638 yards. I shoot to 1200 yards on our range.

On my target rifles I try for sub .5 moa in slow steady succession. I’m not a gamer so this works fine.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Usually about 4-6 months between shots. Sometimes I rush it and go at 3 months, always fucks my “all day long” up though.

Some time when you have the chance to attend a short range Bench Rest Club Match, go watch how fast some of the experienced folks hammer out their 5 shots for record when they want to "catch a condition". You would think they were shooting too fast to aim....

A friend posts on YT and I remembered he showed a clip of Charles Huckeba shooting a card during a BR match and it reminded me of this question. Watch how fast he takes five shots for record once he sees the "condition" he likes on the wind flags. I have seen folks shoot even faster than this example, but keep in mind these are very experienced competitors who have been at their game for decades.

Reactions: Marine52
Me myself and I think waiting between shots for the barrel to cool is a bunch of bunk. If shooting a hunting rifle, the first shot of a group should always be from a cool or preferably cold barrel. That’s the way we hunt. The next two shots should be chambered, and fired as fast as the rifle can be re-aimed. Because that’s the way we hunt. Animals are not goingl to wait a while so our barrel can cool. YouI can ask them if you like, but i doubt they will pay much attention to what you say.

Second, precision rifle. Up to 12 shots in 90 seconds. Barrel is not gonna even be close cool, we want to know where our shots are going in real world shooting.

Frankly, I can’t think of a shooting sport where the rifle can be allowed to cool for ten minutes or twenty minutes or an hour between shots.

Now, there is a need to learn where your rifle will shot cold. So, if a fellow or lady needs to check that, then waiting for the barrel to cool is important. However, it would be better to make this determination over multiple days, to see where that first shot is going to go from a really cool barrel

My gold standard for a hunting rifle. First shot, cold barrel is at point of aim. Next two shots should be fired as quickly as possible and all three shots are in a group of 1 MOA or better. I have owned two that would. One is a custom built 35 Whelen. The other is a factory stock Weatherby Vanguard in .25-06. (I brag on this rifle over and over again)

The gold standard for precision rifles and IHMSA handguns (basically legal bolt action rifles with handgun stocks and barrels shorter than 15 inches and built new as a handgun) is first three, or five or fifteen shots, with first from cold, all the rest falling within a group at point of aim at at least .5 MOA.

That’s all I’m ever gonna say again on this subject.