• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How long does Devcon take to cure?

tucansam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2012
Been reading 24 hours since I started learning about bedding a couple years ago. Read something this week that says 24 hours to separate parts, 7 days to cure until the gun should be shot. This is the only time I've ever read this, but its enough to give me pause to come and ask here.

Thanks.

Many variables factor in to how long it takes epoxy to fully cure: product chemistry, how well mixed, temperature, are some of the main ones. Good idea to have a bit of the leftover mix to test.

OFG

The steel epoxy i used to bed my savage was decently hard after 4 hour I let it cure over night before I removed the action and didn't shoot it for 48 hours. I used neutral shoe polish as release agent and black electrical tape to secure the action. Results where awesome on my first attempt.

here is the stuff.

Devcon 1-LB PLASTIC STEEL PUTTY(A) 5300N- - 230-10110 - 230-10110 at Wares Direct

I have bedded three rifle with this with a lot of waste each time and still have enough for a couple more. I dont have any more rifle that need bedding so guess it's time to buy another.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. I used the little 2oz kit Midway/Amazon sells, and its now been 13 hours. The leftover is cured, but then again, the leftover was spread out thin on a flat surface as I mixed it. Thickest part of the material would be down in the recoil lug recess, and I figure I'll wait another 5-7 hours, or maybe even a full 24, before I break the action free. Was hoping to shoot it tomorrow.

I had previously bedded this rifle with PC7, and after around 200 rounds (223), had issues. So far the Devcon stuff has proved to be easier to mix and easier to work with. But a lot more runny. Shrinkage is a little more than I had hoped for, however.

In general the thicker epoxy will cure faster because it creates heat (exothermic reaction) and the heat helps set the rest of it up. I almost burned my hand learning this, I was using polyester resin to fiberglas a canoe and I mixed a little too much hardener and the bucket I was holding in my hand kicked off so fast that it almost burned my hand. I checked the resin that I had painted on thin and it still had not set up and the bucket of resin was rock hard and hot.